Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help my hubby with London! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-my-hubby-with-london-140075/)

s.fowler Jul 12th, 2001 04:06 PM

Help my hubby with London!

I told him how wonderful you have all been with your advice for Paris soooo.. he would like you to answer the same question. What one thing that you haven't done in London would you like to do next time?

Thyra Jul 12th, 2001 04:15 PM

Ok... let's see, I would love to take a day trip to Hampton Court, as I've never been...and Notting Hill..since I've never been there either... honestly usually we are either arriving or departing when we are in London...I want to just go to London and STAY there.

Jay Jul 12th, 2001 04:58 PM

I would love to spend the day exploring Greenwich. It's easily accessible from London either by boat on the Thames or by train and then cross under the Thames by walking tunnel. There is so much to see there - Royal Naval Academy, Queen's House, Royal Observatory with the prime meridian, the original Cutty Sark... it's a beautiful little town to walk around and can be a real respite of quiet after spending several days "doing" London!!!!

Lee Jul 12th, 2001 05:08 PM

Since I've been to London many, many times, the one thing I'd like to do next time is to wander around some of the residential neighbourhoods and to just get a feel for where the people live.

Mel Jul 12th, 2001 07:09 PM

Haven't been to Hampstead Heath, Kew Gardens or the Natural History Museum. Loved spending time in the British Library when it was in the British Museum, but haven't been to it's new headquarters--all this is on my list for next year.

elvira Jul 12th, 2001 07:31 PM

We *are* doing this fall, which we've always wanted: <BR>Kew Gardens <BR>Old Bailey <BR>Bletchley Park <BR>British Library <BR>Bath <BR> <BR>

JOdy Jul 13th, 2001 01:15 AM

We've been to London so many times I think we have donejust about eveything at least twice, at least that's what I think till I get there. On our last trip in March did 3 new things, London Eye, Tate Modern, and Globe tour. For this October's trip we are going to attend evensong somewhere ( any hints gratefully accepted) , Do tea at the church Ben Haines mentioned in Kew, and maybe Leeds castle if we feel like a daytrip or run into a drizzly day.

Judy Jul 13th, 2001 04:48 AM

Hi Sally, I love London and cannot wait to go back and go to : London Eye(missed it last time, cause hubby hates lines), Kew Gardens in August, Hampstead Heath, Ceremony of the Keys, Evensong, and more London Walks <BR>Judy :-)

wes fowler Jul 13th, 2001 06:04 AM

Sally, <BR>Here's something I HAVE done that might be appealing to your husband although a bit off the wall. After touring Chelsea on foot looking for and at those blue markers indicating the homes of some of Britain's literary greats, visit the Chelsea Royal Hospital, one of Christopher Wren's masterpieces, seek out one of the Chelsea Pensioners, (easy to recognize in their tricorner hats and red coats) and invite him to a pub for a bit of bitters and conversation.

s.fowler Jul 13th, 2001 06:36 AM

This is GREAT! I knew you folks would come through for him:)

Karen Jul 13th, 2001 06:42 AM

The War Rooms and another visit to Imperial War Museum.

Ben Haines Jul 13th, 2001 07:31 AM

Jody <BR> <BR>Sorry: the tea in Kew ends with August. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

s.fowler Jul 13th, 2001 08:20 AM

Wes - He might just enjoy your suggestion:) <BR> <BR>Ben - Thanks for the info -- any other suggestions? [What a question -- I know you have tons:)]

egg Jul 13th, 2001 08:27 AM

Offer the old boy a pint of bitter, not bitters or he won't know what you mean. While in Chelsea why not visit the Chelsea Physic Garden? <BR>On Sunday morning visit the Columbia Road Flower market. It looks and smells wonderful and you will meet genuine Londoners buying and selling flowers and plants and drinking in the local pubs. <BR>

wes fowler Jul 13th, 2001 09:56 AM

Egg, <BR>When I suggested a "bit of bitters" I wasn't suggesting just one pint; "bits of bitter" just doesn't sound right. I suppose I should have said "pint or two"!

Mia Jul 13th, 2001 10:25 AM

Just to relax and picnic in one of the parks. And afternoon tea at some nifty place like Brown's. I had way too much to see last time and I didn't take the time to just hang out and people-watch. <BR>(But don't miss the British Library display room: important, historical and creative books from all cultures and religions, not just British-Anglo).

xxx Jul 13th, 2001 10:30 AM

I would second the idea for the Imperial War Museum. I've seen everything in London and wanted to do something different with my two young sons. A friend suggested we do the museum. The exhibits were wonderful, the holocaust exhibit, being able to experience the trenches and air raids .

xxx Jul 13th, 2001 11:01 AM

Fuck the queen.

Ben Haines Jul 15th, 2001 10:59 AM

I'm not sure I can write as good a set of ideas as good those you've had already from other contributors. Among my problems is that I don't know what your husband has seen so far, nor where his tastes lie. If you'd like to brief me, I'll see what I can do. <BR> <BR>Meanwhile, as compensation prize, I'm copying you by e-mail notes I have on disc about unseen London and on London off the beaten track. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

s.fowler Jul 15th, 2001 11:35 AM

Thanks a lot Ben -- as usual you are very generous. <BR> <BR>As for xxx: She's probably busy and I'm *very* sure she "would not be amused."