Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! My hotel and location switched on me.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi: Thanks to many posters here, I made arrangements in January that were confirmed in writing and guaranteed by a credit card for an apt in Old Town in Prague starting April 20. I was to stay in a more expensive apt for one night and then move to the smaller apt (2 doors down) the next day.
Now I have received an email that they have put me in an apt in Prague 3 for one night. Also, I can cancel it I want. Of course, I leave next Monday and Prague is filled because of the World Hockey tourn. during this time. Do I have any recourse? Of course I dont want to cancel my trip, but I am surprised this is happening. Any advice?
Thanks, Johanna
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 08:55 AM
ira

Hi Johanna,

At this point, you seem to be stuck. If the new apt is not of te same quality as the one you had contracted for, document it and ask for a reduction on price.

You can appeal to your CC company for an adjustment if that doesn't work.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ira. I have to pay cash when I get there. I will take notes and photos if any problems because I got the apt from web sites recommended here.They offered to pay the taxi and transport me to the Old Town apt the next day, so I will have 7 days in Old Town Prague.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 02:56 AM
ira

Hi johanna,

>They offered to pay the taxi and transport me to the Old Town apt the next day..<

That is an indication that this is a legitimate firm that has made a mistake in its bookings.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 06:11 AM

Hi Johanna,

Which agency is this? Which apartments, also.. I may know them. Where is this place in Prague 3, etc... Hope you still have a great trip, but this is a pain to have to switch last minute. By the way, I know many agencies that pull this stuff, because if someone comes along and wants the higher priced place for a couple of weeks, they will give priority to the person who wants it for a longer period. Unfortunate, but one way for them to make more $.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi AnneMarie: I am taking a break from packing. I rented the apt (Ithink on your suggestion from prague-apt.biz.They have put me in a borivojova apt for the 1st night (so I lose a day of the trip as they come at noon the next day to take me to the Vilnius that they raised the rates yet I have a confirmation with a price in writing???I guess I could inform the tourist bureaus but I just want to go and have a good time.My concern is that it is so cold there now(for me) in the 50's so I will have to take warmer clothes than I had planned right? Do you have the address of the Cedoc travel agency to purchase my ticket from Prague to Krakow? Also, can I take a day or overnight trip to Budapest?(I know I can go to Vienna from Prague 1 hr by train) but didnt know if I could go to Budapest from Prague...Wish we were going to be there at the same time. Perhaps next yr. I really appreciate all of your help. Johanna ps: I read that there will be a huge celebration on May 1 for the induction into the EU. I will leave right before that and that there is a World Summit in Warsaw about the time I will be there...didnt plan too well, I guess. It will be great tho!!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:26 AM

There are overnight trains between Prague and Budapest that takes about 8.5 hrs. [Day trains take about 6:45] And Vienna is about 4.5 hours by train from Prague - I think the "1 hr" you put in your last post is a typo.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Budapest is in the opposite direction from Vienna as Prague, so you could never do a day trip from Prague to Budapest, except by air, I suppose. As noted, you can't get to Vienna in 1 hr.

The main Cedok travel agency I know in Prague is at Rytirska 16, near Vaclavske (Wenceslas) Namesti (Square). It is also very near the Ticketpro ticket agency, if you want to look for events.

That is the risk you run with renting vacation apts., that isn't the first time I've heard of such a thing (not just in Prague, but elsewhere). Frankly, if you really want that apt., I would just book a central hotel for one night rather than take that apt. in Prague 3. What would be the point of staying there over a hotel for one night. If you can't get a hotel due to the hockey thing, I don't think there's much you can do and they are transferring you, so it is as easy as possible. I would imagine the contract you signed allowed for this, they usually do.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 05:08 PM

Sorry Johanna, I have never used prague-apt.biz Never even heard of it. You can try www.travel.cz They have last minute specials, and they discount heavily if you book last minute. It is one of the easiest ways to find a last minute place there, and see pictures, etc. They will also pick you up at the airport, take you to their office, find you a room at a discount, and bring you to that place. If you don't want to stay in Prague 3, then try travel.cz You could get a great deal on a place for all 3 nights through them, and then you could cancel with the other agency.

Borivojova is on the tram line to Wenceslas Square. Not far, but certainly out of the loop of tourist areas. I would probably stay there, but you are new to the city, if I remember correctly, and I think you are better off in a place where you can walk to most sites. You'll need a transportation pass if you stay on Borivojova, so make sure you get one before you get on a tram. I was fined once for having an invalid pass, but the police mostly check the tourist areas for passes.

I am not surprised by the cooler weather there. The temperatures fluctuate a lot. By the time you go, it may even warm up. Bring layers, and you'll be prepared. Also - a lightweight umbrella. I carry mine all the time. Sometimes a storm comes out of nowhere & catches you off guard. It could be beautiful at 10 AM, but by 3 there could be a storm, and your umbrella will be back in your room...!

Have fun & be excited about a great trip!
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Now, the last day of my stay is being changed. That means I would lose almost 2 days of sightseeing any going on tours. I think I can get a room at Grand Bohemian(which states it is right in Old Town...much more costly....but it is my first visit to Prague and dont want to be worried or waste time moving. I read some older posts that it was in a good location. Please advise!!I leave Monday. Thank you
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Christina for the Cedok #. I am emailing them for a ticket to Krakow. I
I want to pick it up when I am there.