Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me with my shopping list! Rome, Siena, Sorrento!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:32 PM
ascolano

Hello, all.<BR><BR>I'm always looking for local specialties and especially bargains. I've planned a cost-effective trip to Italy in early April, freeing up some funds for some power-shopping while there. Any suggestions for particular items, crafts, or specialties in Rome, Orvieto, Siena (and surrounding areas) or Sorrento (and the coast)?<BR><BR>Thanks much!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:47 PM
topper

topping

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:59 PM
TOPPER

topping

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:26 PM

topping

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 06:21 AM
xxx

tt

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:19 AM
dean

Siena- there are several food products- ricciarelli are almond flavored meringue like cookies that are simply spectacular. They will not travel back home but do enjoy them there. You will also find Pan Forte which will travel home. Pan Forte is a type of fruit cake without the cake part. Its dnse and rich. There is a lot of great Pecorino in the Siena area. This is sheeps milk cheeses that come in fairly small wheels. The best is made in Pienza. You can buy a whole wheel (maybe 5lbs) and have it vacumn wrapped for travel. Vinace is the cheese coated with the pressings from wine production and is amazingly delicious.<BR><BR>Sorrento is famous for Intarsia (inlaid wood) and ceramic flowers. Both are very nice if not slightly touristy. Limoncello is a sweet lemon liqueur. You can usually taste before buying. The area produces some amaing wines such as Ischia Bianco that are very hard to find here. Ceramics are a specialty of the area as well.<BR><BR>Rome is great for clothes shopping. FOr example, I bought Mephisto shoes for less than half the US price.<BR><BR>Anywhere you go in Italy, you will find many artisan shops where you can buy ceramics, paintings etc. etc. These items have been some of the most cherished items we ahve bought in Italy. As you go to museums you will find posters especially for special exhibits. If you do buy posters you will need a tube to protect you purchases. We now bring a tube with us since we know we will buy several posters.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Byrd

Hi- About three years ago we bought a hand-painted ceramic tile in a little shop in Siena, thinking to use it as a trivet. When we got home, I decided to have it framed, and now it hangs in our kitchen. I just love it, and so many people have asked about it (you know-everybody ends up in the kitchen!) The colors and design remind me of the Duomo and Siena.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 02:53 PM
ascolano

Thanks so much! Great suggestions!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Carin

Yes, get some richiarelli in Siena - they are yummy! I didn't think you can take it home, but the pecorino is yummy. Try the enotec, "Gli Archi" on the street inside the walls at the Porta Romana (I forgot the street name.) You can try all kinds of wines and delicious appetizers. They serve severla kinds of pecorino with honey - delicious! I wish I had bouth more, but I tried to buy a little plate of each place we visited. Nice ceramics in Siena - probably touristy prices, but they were pretty. I've heard the kitchen gadget shops are great.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 08:04 PM
topper

topping

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 12:06 AM
honey

You can take ricciarelli home with you, why not? They don't have preservatives in them but last for months and are usually packed pretty well. I bring them home from every trip! They really are wonderful! <BR><BR>In Sorrento, they sell everything having to do with lemons. I bought some lemon soap there and it turned out to be great soap! Limoncello (lemon liqueur) is also a big seller and very tasty.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:04 PM

topping