Help me refine my trip to Portugal / Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Portugal and Spain during Thanksgiving week this year. I had some doubts initially, but we are finally set on going there.

We will be traveling with our old friends (they are arriving from Europe, we from USA), however they are arriving slightly later (on 21st at 7pm). We are arriving on 19th @ 3pm in Lisbon and departing from Barcelona together with our friends on 2nd of December).

Here is our plan so far:

19th -- We arrive to Lisbon at 3pm. Possibly rent a car right at Lisbon Airport and drive to Evora
20th -- Evora and near by
21st -- Friends arrive to Lisbon at 7pm. Go back to Lisbon Airport to be there around their arrival
22nd-24th -- Spend next three days in Lisbon (with last one used for day trip to Sintra).
25th -- Rent car from Lisbon airport in the morning and go toward Coimbra. Try to hit Alcobaça and/or Batalha monasteries on our way to Coimbra. See a bit of Coimbra, before we will take an evening train to Madrid.
26th-28th -- Madrid, with possible day trip to Toredo or Segovia
29th-1st -- Barcelona
2nd -- Depart from Barcelona to go back home

We have originally planned to arrive also on 21th as our friends (at 3pm however), however we later decided to extend our stay there by two days. I am now wondering what we should do before our friends arrive on 21st.

Once option that I been thinking is to visit Evora and areas near by during those two days. I was thinking if we should just rent a car on our arrival (3pm on 19th) and drive toward Evora to spend there two nights there (19/20 and 20/21 nights). We could arrive back to Lisbon airport on the 21st around the time of our friends arrival.

How should we spend our time there? Just spend everything on Evora? Or should we visit some places near by before arriving back to Lisbon airport. I have been thinking of trip to Marvão or possibly Esporão winery region. What could you recommend on this excursion before our friends arrival?
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 07:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
When you do your day trip from Coimbra, visit Alcobaça over Bathalha. Look at Quinta Las Lafrimas in Coimbra.
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 07:11 PM
kja

IMO, trying to see both Madrid AND Barcelona in this timeframe is not ideal. You might consider visiting one OR the other, leaving you time for perhaps one day trip from whichever you choose. It sounds like you are already committed to Barcelona, so consider skipping Madrid. At least it is easy to reach!
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 03:39 AM

You have 3 days for Madrid - including one day trip. that works since IMHO Madrid does not have THAT much to see and do. But I fear you are giving Barcelona short shrift - and I think there is more to see/do there.

I would consider either moving one day from M to B - or leaving M for a different trip (perhaps linked to Andalusia, which is really the most unique and IMHO fascinating part of Spain due to it's Moorish heritage).
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 04:35 AM

day 25 looks very heavy to me.
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 08:54 AM

You have a day and a half before your friends arrive in Lisbon. I would spend that time in Lisbon adjusting to the time change and dining habits of Portugal. That don't eat as late as they do in Spain, but meals tend to be larger, both lunch and dinner, so be prepared.

You also have the issue of the shorter daylight hours to contend with and as much as I like spending a day or two in Evora, you can do a day trip from Lisbon after your friends arrive using a service and save on the rental car (If you've never driven in Portugal, it will be an experience).

As already noted, you're trying to cram too much into the 25th. The sun will be setting a little after 5:00 that afternoon, making for a very short day with less than 10 hours of sunlight (25 November Sunrise: 7:30 - Sunset: 17:17 - Day length: 9h 47m).

I would skip Barcelona this trip and spend more time in and around Madrid. With 5 days you'll be able to visit Toledo, Segovia and/or Cuenca on day trips and still have the time to enjoy the evenings in Madrid.

According to esMadrid (www.esmadrid.com) you'll miss the outstanding performance of Sara Baras at the Teatro Compac Gran Vía, but if you are into art, the exibit of "Sorolla and America" is at Fundación Mapfre, Sala Recoletos (free) and Goya in Madrid is at the Prado beginning on the 28th. You can even do "A Stroll through Almodovar's Madrid" (www.esmadrid.com/en/almodovars-madrid/).

Madrid also has one of the best selections of outstanding restaurants to choose from, lunch or dinner, just make sure you have reservations in advance.

>Madrid does not have THAT much to see and do< I guess I could say the same about NYC, except I know better.
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 04:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
>Madrid does not have THAT much to see and do<

I have to disagree. My second trip, I spent 5 nights in Madrid with plans to do day trips a few of those days. I never left Madrid as I found lots to see and do!

And some of those day trips are more worthy of a few nights!
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 06:06 PM
kja

>Madrid does not have THAT much to see and do<

I'm with joannyc -- I had four full days in Madrid, not counting Toledo, Segovia, or Avila, although that time did include a half-day trip to El Escorial and the Valley of the Fallen. I did NOT see everything i would have liked to see in Madrid. It all depends on your interests.
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 03:49 AM

Marvao is beautiful, but a long way from Evora. Monsaraz is similar and close to Evora. Obidos (near Lisbon) is quite "disneyesque" as a opposition to Monsaraz which is the "real thing". Another nice walled town near Evora is Evoramonte.
Sao Bento do Corval is the Mecca of pottery. Ditto for Arraiolos referring to tapestry. Vila Viçosa has the palace of the Braganza family (guided tours in Portuguese only, I'm affraid). Estremoz has a nice street market. I've heard nice comments to guided tours to pre-historic megaliths, but I don´t have contacts. All these attractions are of easy access from Evora.
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 04:45 AM

Fabulous up and coming flamenco dancer Paloma Fantova performs in Cardamomo on your nights in Madrid. http://cardamomo.es/#

She brought the house down at prestigious Sadler's Wells in London a little over a year ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck7hMzNH3b8