Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help me plan my birthday in Prague. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-me-plan-my-birthday-in-prague-695661/)

tzarinna Apr 10th, 2007 01:02 PM

Help me plan my birthday in Prague.

It's on May 9th and I usually like to take it easy.

I'll be renting an apartment in Prague for a week.

I was wondering if I should do an overnight excursion for the event. I'd like to spend the day in a nice park,maybe have lunch there. Sit and read a book and just enjoy the day. O but I could be talked into a lovely brunch. ;)

For the evening,I'd like to go to dinner some where nice but not too fancy. I also could be talked into going to a bar/club for some live music,jazz or something. :)

Thanks for any help received. :)

tzarinna Apr 12th, 2007 01:01 PM

ttt

Anybody? Bueller?

Calmasaurus Apr 12th, 2007 01:20 PM

can you still get good absinthe in prague?
if so here you go..
1. buy absinthe
2. get wasted
3. hopefully you will wake up somewhere with 13 ladies (or men if your preference) either remembering or not remembering what happened that night.

BUT...

if the above doesn't suit you, you could always just wing it and enjoy yourself on your birthday. usually works for me.

tzarinna Apr 12th, 2007 01:31 PM

:)I will certainly get some absinthe and I prefer the men folk. Not too many at one time I can't keep up. I'm an old lady,soon to be *gasp* 36. :(

Fidel Apr 12th, 2007 02:10 PM

I don't get this thread. OP appears to have the day planned; you want who exactly to "talk you into" exactly what?

If you just want to "chat" maybe the Lounge would be a better spot.

Christina Apr 12th, 2007 02:25 PM

I can't give you specifics as I don't take notes of special restaurants and don't really frequent bars or clubs in Prague.

However, I would suggest that you read the reviews for Prague on such options in www.timeout.com and in the online www.inyourpocket.com guides as they both are very good for Prague. I don't think you'll go wrong if you choose from their advice.

I often do plan some concert or other event when I stay in Prague, but I choose from traditional offerings (ballet, opera, classical music). You can see what's going on at www.ticketpro.cz

tzarinna Apr 12th, 2007 03:44 PM

Thanks,Christina. I'll take a look at those and bookmark. I found a lot of sites about concerts and food.

Fidel,I have an idea what I want to do but where to do it while I'm there is the question. :) I know Prague can be pretty busy place and I want to kind of be low key during my special day.

In summary, a park where I could chill;should I consider an excursion for such. I know there's parks in Prague,looking for what I stated in my original post.

I can wing it and I have. This is my 6th birthday trip,I've been to Europe and done the US for it but I thought I'd ask from folks that have been to Czech. I'll be there 3 days before so I can certainly look about for something that meets my needs.

amp322 Apr 12th, 2007 09:08 PM

Hey - Happy Birthday in advance. You're lucky you'll be in Prague!

Two awesome parks are Petrin Park and Letna Park. Letna is north of Mala Strana, and Petrin is on the south side. Both have amazing views. If you climb up towards Strahov Monastery, there is a terraced restaurant with beautiful views. There are also a few restaurants in each of the parks - the funicular that goes up Petrin Hill stops at one, and there is a swanky one on Letna, also.

You could also try exploring Kampa Island. There are smaller parks all through the area. Another favorite is the museum built from an old mill - it overlooks the Vltava & there is a big chair statue that juts out into the water. That place is awesome for hanging out, and there is a restaurant, too. It is also on the Mala Strana side. (I guess all the parks I mentioned are on the Mala Strana side...!)

Since it's your birthday, I don't know if you'd be in the mood to visit a cemetery, lol!, but Vysehrad is quite beautiful & peaceful, with many park areas where you can chill. There are a few eating places up there, as well. (Vysehrad is below New Town..)

As for dinner, it depends on your taste. There are plenty of jazz clubs, and you can look up the schedule in the Prague Post, or other mags, when you get there. Do you want a more mellow club, or a louder one, where you can meet people?

You could also just check out a classical concert, or opera, or ballet. Ahhh, the choices... (wish I were you ;-)

Where is the apartment you're renting?

tzarinna Apr 13th, 2007 02:12 PM

You're awesome! :D
Thanks so much for the info and for the birthday wish.
I love a good cemetery. :)
I've been running Kampa Park around in my head for a while. I'll be staying between Old Town and Wenceslas Square.
Here-->http://www.perfectplaces.com/vacation-rentals/16949.htm

I could go either way on the club,hell I can bar hop,well unless they're not close. X( I'm a bit of a lush. X( I've been checking for concerts on and off. I know I'll be there for Czech's Independence Day so that should really be eventful.

Thanks again,you've been very helpful :)

amp322 Apr 13th, 2007 08:30 PM

OK, your apartment is in a very good location! There is a jazz club right next to the Tyn church, called Ungelt. It is on Tynska. Also on Tynska is Bar and Books, a cozy place for a coctail. You are also walking distance to the Estates Theater & the Rudolfinum, so check out the theater/concert schedule. There are many nice places on Parizska for a good meal, and it's "the" street for shopping. Near the right hand corner of Parizska & Old Town Square, across from the Jan Hus monument, there is a jewelry store that sells jewelry made of lace. It is very beautiful, and I have a necklace & earrings that are amazing & definitely unique. High end stuff, but maybe a nice present for you, if you see something that catches your eye. Have fun planning & post back if you need more help!

amp322 Apr 22nd, 2007 06:01 PM

Here's an article about Letna Park.

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/77593

There are also some other related articles under it (all from Radio Prague) about beer gardens, etc. Enjoy!

tzarinna Apr 22nd, 2007 07:32 PM

Thanks again,amp. :D
That jewelry sounds fantastic. ((y))

amp322 Apr 23rd, 2007 01:39 PM

Here is name of jewelry store:

Galerie Vlasta
Address: Staromestské námestí 5, 110 00 Prague 1
Phone: 00420222318119
Opening hours: Mo -Fri 10,00 a.m. - 6,00 p.m. Sat 10,00 a.m. - 1,00 p.m. Sun closed
Jewellery from Vlasta Wasserbauerová

and a link to a picture of one of her designs:

http://www.europeancultart.com/galle...bauerova/1.htm

tzarinna Apr 23rd, 2007 05:46 PM

Wow,that's amazing!!!!
Is it as fragile as it looks?

amp322 Apr 23rd, 2007 07:02 PM

I have the earrings right in front of me, and they are delicate, but not fragile. It is like a light wire lace, and almost feels a bit starchy. Very tightly knit. My earrings are gold & silver lace, and about 3" long. Very dressy. I forget how much I paid, but they weren't that much. The wrap around necklace in the picture is probably a few hundred, or something. Not sure. Earrings are all different styles & prices, and I bought a choker by the same designer at the gift shop in Hotel Ruze in Cesky Krumlov. It was probably $35 or $40 USD, but I got it at least 5 years ago.

I also have several silk scarves from Prague, and even have a huge square scarf with a scene of Old Town on it hanging in my bedroom. It came with a frame! I got it in a shop just to the right of Tyn church in Old Town Square. It is in the basement, but they hang stuff outside, so you can find the place.

tzarinna Apr 24th, 2007 04:03 PM

That seems like a decent price.
Thanks for the heads up on the scarves,too. :)