Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me pick two off-the-beaten path villages in Switzerland

Old Feb 28th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts

We're headed to Iceland and Switzerland in late May, early June. We'll be spending 10 nights in Iceland and 10 nights in Switzerland, arriving and departing from Zurich.

The loose plan is to spend five nights in two locations - we'll most likely stay in an apartment. Our main interest is hiking and beautiful alpine scenery. We're not too fussed about early season closures. In fact, that's why we're visiting when we are - fewer people, less expensive accommodation, peace and quiet. We will be travelling by train/bus.

We've been to Switzerland many times and are looking for a new area to explore. We've been to the BO, Zermatt and the Engadine several times. We've also spent time in Kandersteg, Engleberg, Kosters, Davos, Chur, Gstaad, Lenk, Gruyeres, Montreaux. Soglio, Samnaun, Basel and Lucerne, We're not interested in the Locarno or Lugano area at this time. Not interested in cities.

Contenders at this moment are - Zuoz, Zernez, Silvaplana, Leukerbad, Sils or possibly a revisit to Kandersteg.

Yeah, I know, first world problem. Any suggestions for quiet, hiking-centric areas we might have missed would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there

I have to tips for you:
Check out "Creux du van". You might be interested in that. Not alpine area, but still awesome to do hiking.

You have been to Zermatt, probably the most famous place in all of Wallis-Area. There are plenty of of places in Wallis, where you can go. For example the Area of Bettmeralp, Belalp, Riederalp. From there, you have an awesome view on to the glacier! We hiked there last year, it was very cool!

Have fun & best wishes,
Marco
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Marco, I will take a look at those.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 11:03 AM

Zernez - lots of hiking options, with the Swiss National Park being next door. See www.bergfex.com/sommer/zernez/touren/wandern/

The Appenzell region - there are 1200 kilometers of marked hiking trails between the Bodensee ("Lake Constance" in English) and the Säntis mountain -see https://saentisbahn.ch/en/ and http://www.appenzell.ch/en/hiking-an...ve/hiking.html
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you michel - oddly enough, Appenzell came to my attention just this morning.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 05:26 PM

Appenzell itself is remarkable for mainly two reasons, apart from being very attractive, as is the region around it:

1) It was the last canton (= state) in Switzerland where citizens voted by show of hands. Many would also dress up in traditional attire in honor of the occasion -they treasure the "direct democracy" tradition. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLPRUDp-MmU

2) They make a very fine cheese called Appenzeller. It has a similar consistency and look as Gruyères/Greyerzer and Emmental, but is somewhat more pungent. Make ten percent of your fondue mix be Appenzeller and you'll enhance the overall flavor!

Enjoy!
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 08:31 PM
kja

I'm tempted to recommend Zuoz, Silvaplana, or Sils, just to put you in striking distance of some pizoccals. ;-)

What about Bellinzona, or one of the towns of the Valle Verzasca?
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 12:13 AM

Another vote for Appenzell. Since it's at lower elevation than Grisons (Engadine), BO or Valais, you'll find more things open - from hiking trails over cable cars to mountain huts. The downside is that the scenery is not as dramatic as in the high Alps.

Or check out another area in Grisons - the Survselva comes to my mind, from Chur up the Vorderrhein valley. Flims/Laas are pretty famous, more quaint are Disentis and the valleys south of Ilanz. Lots of sighs there - the Rhine canyon, the incredibly turquoise/emerald (depends on time of year) lakes near Flims (Cresta, Cauma), the Benedictine abbey Disentis, the spa in Vals, picturesque villages like Vella, Vrin, Lumbrein etc. and the sunny terrace of Waltensburg/Brigels (famous frescoes in Waltensburg's church).

The plus is that you can get your fix of Pizzoccheri and Capuns there, too.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Brilliant minds think alike kja!

Wow, Ingo, you're a fountain of information as always. I will look at some of those places - most of which I've never heard of which is the whole idea. Cheers.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 07:01 AM

May/June are rather wet months. Therefore I wouldn't necessarily go to rather cold and rainy areas like Appenzell.

What about the driest area of Switzerland: the Swiss Rhone Valley:
Brig: traffic hub between Aletsch Glacier, Bernese Oberland and Lake Maggiore, with a small medieval pedestrian city center.
https://www.brig-simplon.ch/places/brig-glis.php
http://www.belalp.ch/summer/index.php
Leuk: another car free medieval city, much warmer and drier than nearby Leukerbad
http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/leuk-susten.html

If you prefer the Engadine Valley, don't forget that Sils-Maria, Silvaplauna, Champfer, etc. will be close to the snow line (end May). Scuol-Tarasp, Guarda (or Vna resp Tschlin if you are looking for really isolated places) might be better choices.
https://www.graubuenden.ch/en/discov...mustair-summer
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you neckervd. We've been to Scuol many times - it's our usual base in the Engadine - but I will definitely look into Leuk.
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Ingo -

I'm looking at an apartment rental in Sedrun, about a seven minute walk from Sedrun railway station. Does this make sense as a base for Disentis?
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 02:03 PM

Hi, I really love Murren, a small village near Grindelwald, up in the Alps. We stayed there once in a very small cabin in May/June and have about 11 waterfalls outside out door across the way. There is access to neighboring villages. If you haven't been to this area, and like the mountains, small villages, it is lovely. Sue
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sue.

We've been to Murren many times, we love it too.

Just looking for something new this time. Cheers.
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 06:21 PM

What about SOLOTHURN and French areas of Switzerland---Neuchatel, Bienne,etc?
(Although, I did LOVE Appenzell and Urnaesch too!)
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 06:33 PM

And Zofingen...another hidden gem (feel free to explore my past TRs)!
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 09:08 PM

Hm. It's ok, I guess. I did not suggest Sedrun at first because I think it's not centrally enough for exploring the whole Vorderrhein valley.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mokka, I will do that.

Ingo - is there a centrally located town you would suggest? Sedrun came up when I was searching rentals in Disentis, and it seemed close, but central is always better.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 06:01 AM

Sedrun is 20 min by train from Disentis (trains every hr from 6am until 8pm).
It's your choice, but frankly, I wouldn't suggest this area (neither Andermatt, nor Sedrun, Disentis/Muster, Vuorz/Waltensburg or Breil/Brigels) for a stay in May.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

neckervd -

Because of closures so early in the season?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -