Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   help me pick hotels.....Dublin/Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-me-pick-hotels-dublin-paris-449572/)

russwuf Nov 3rd, 2008 10:06 AM

help me pick hotels.....Dublin/Paris

Planning a trip next May. I have narrowed down my hotel choices to those in Dublin
Arlington Hotel...Ariel-House...or Jurys Croke Park
those in Paris are Hotel Bonaparte...Hotel Grande Ecole...or Hotel Eiffel Kennedy.
Have already weighed the budget question with all of these hotels.
What I am looking for in your esteemed wisdom is location recommendations and any experiences that you may have had with either pro or con. Our group of 4 is fond of any local cafes/hangouts where one can sit and have a drink and watch the world go by and also nearby shops in which to wander with a decent amount of traffic without being too crowded or overbearing. thanx thanx...

Christina Nov 3rd, 2008 12:38 PM

I only know the Paris locations well, although I haven't stayed in any of those. It's a tough one, as they are all good locations, actually, I don't think you can go wrong. Each of those 3 Paris hotels will be near shopping and cafes, etc.

The Eiffel Kennedy is very near rue de l'Assomption, a pedestrian market street which also has some cafes/restaurants, and it's also not far from Ave Mozart, a great shopping street. I really like the Passy neighborhood, although it's a bit far from that, and is actually right next to Radio France. It is most convenient for buses and the RER, not the metro, as that might be the only thing I would't like about it. Well, actually, I am not familiar with the exact blocks around radio France to be sure, I know ave Mozart, Passy, area better.

The other two are more in central Paris, of course, so are near metro stations and the Bonaparte is within walking distance of the Seine and some other things you might want to see. The Grandes Ecoles is also, of course, just not as close and you might not want to walk from there to the Seine, but you could.

So I think those are all good choices, and it's hard to say whic would suit you more. I personally would prefer the Grandes Ecoles or Eiffel Kennedy neighborhood, around Bonaparte is too congested for me in terms of people, and I don't like the cafes and stores around there, too expensive for me (or designer,or just not the kind of places I like to hang out or shop).

russwuf Nov 4th, 2008 09:16 AM

merci! ..Christina..
back to top any other thoughts guys?

Brit Nov 4th, 2008 10:23 AM

When we were in Dublin in Sept., we stayed at the Westin Dublin. The location was terrific. We were within walking distance of Trinity College, O'Connell St., and Temple Bar.

yestravel Nov 4th, 2008 11:56 AM

In Dubllin we stayed at the new Renaisance Hotel -- nice location and got a good deal. We considered Aroel House but didnt feel we wanted to walk the distance from center of the city to it. Arlington House seemed to have really mixed reveiws on TA. Not sure which of the JUry's is the Coke HOuse, so cant help with that one.

Cathinjoetown Nov 4th, 2008 12:33 PM

Russwuf,

Jury's Croke Park is out north near the stadium--I think you would want to be closer to the center to be able to walk to most things. I don't know the other two hotels you mentioned in Dublin.

The area that can get raucous at night is Temple Bar so based on your post, you probably shouldn't look in that area.

I think you would most enjoy the area around Grafton Street (pedestrian shopping stree), St. Stephens Green (at the top of Grafton St.), Trinity College.

Two high end recommendations which often have good value packages are the Shelbourne on St. Stephen's Green and the Westbury tucked just off Grafton Street.

I haven't been in the Westin which is the old Allied Bank building but it's supposed to be very nicely done.

Padraig Nov 4th, 2008 12:54 PM

Jury's Croke Park: new, good according to reports that I have heard, but not a great neighbourhood as much of the territory between it and the city centre (about 2 miles away) is a bit seedy.

Arlington Hotel: very central, extremely busy bar (mostly people in their 20s), nightclub at weekends. I'd expect it to be a bit noisy, but I haven't actually been in it.

Ariel House: nice middle-class area of big Victorian and Edwardian houses, good walk to city centre, moderate walk to good selection of pubs and restaurants.

Of the three, I would choose Ariel House (but, then, I don't need to pay for a room in Dublin).

russwuf Nov 5th, 2008 08:40 PM

thanx for all of your suggestions...of course having not been around its very helpful to hear about what is around each property and the ability to walk city centre without killing yourself LOL...thanx and keep the recommendations coming....hugz a-million guys!

russwuf Nov 5th, 2008 11:36 PM

I have been doing a bit more research and have placed the Maldron Hotel at Parnell Square into serious consideration. The location is at the top end of OConnell Street...still walkable to shopping and city centre and all attractions but yet away from some of the revelry of direct center. Comes highly rated on Trip Advisor...8 of 212 hotels in Dublin....
anyone have any experience with this property and/or could share some insight to its situation and surroundings...thanx a mil!!!!

Padraig Nov 6th, 2008 01:53 AM

Some people here might know the Maldron as the Comfort Inn, Granby Row.

The north inner city is generally less appealing than the south -- pockets of social deprivation, associated drug dependence, and some petty crime to finance it. I would not refuse to use the Maldron, but I know the city and the vibe.

I'd sooner stay in Cassidy's, even though I don't like the proprietor (he's a politician). See http://www.cassidyshotel.com/

wojazz3 Nov 6th, 2008 08:38 AM

Hi russwuff:

I stayed at the Best Western Academy Plaza and the Best Western Royal Dublin, both withing a block of each other and both very convenient to Airport transfer. I liked the quality of the room a little better at the Academy but my window looked out on the back of too somewhat noisy bars. It did not keep me awake at all but you could hear it a bit through the closed window. If you had to keep the window open, it would be a proble. Not all rooms face that direction. The Royal Dublin was fine too. Both are steps from where the aircoach and Dublin bus version of the aircoach drop you off, Royal Dublin being right across the street and the Academy being around the corner and a half block away. Similar prices for both.

Bill