Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   "Help Me MAke IT Through The Night..." (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-me-make-it-through-the-night-101085/)

sadeyes Jan 20th, 2001 06:58 AM

"Help Me MAke IT Through The Night..."

Only 6 weeks to go...the winter is driving me crazy...why, oh why, is the time moving so slowly... <BR>I've worn out my guidebooks, I have my itinerary, I'm practicing my German... <BR>Any ideas out there.........

gigi Jan 20th, 2001 07:53 AM

May I suggest a bottle of fine Merlot and a rick steves tape? <BR>Hang in there!

Maira Jan 20th, 2001 09:15 AM

Make a list of wardrobe per day. <BR> <BR>Compile a list of addresses for postcards. <BR> <BR>Read more about the transportation (roads if driving, train timetables if train, etc...). <BR> <BR>Read more on the history of the towns you'll visit. <BR> <BR>Make a list of tour companies (tour/price) in case you need them. <BR> <BR>Write down instructions on how to get from the airport to the hotel by train (in case you are left hanging...). <BR> <BR>Use the Fodor's search function to read posts related to destination. <BR> <BR>This will keep you busy....

Bill Jan 20th, 2001 09:28 AM

Rent a copy of "The Sound of Music" (filmed in Austria and Bavaria), and watch it while you're drinking your Merlot.

Dr. Betty Jan 20th, 2001 09:59 AM

Get some Wagnerian Opera to listen to while drinking the Merlot. For exercise, put on Strauss and learn to waltz. For a more breathless dance routine, get the CD from the movie "Run, Lola, Run." To bring yourself out of your stupor and turn those sadeyes into bugeyes, watch the movie and see if you can understand the German, it has English subtitles. <BR> <BR>Lucky You, <BR>Dr. Betty

spank-.me Jan 20th, 2001 01:03 PM

rent the movie "National Lampoon's European Vacation" and learned the steps to the Bavarian dance Mr. Griswold so charmingly performed.

Gigi Jan 20th, 2001 06:04 PM

Download great pictures of your trip, print them onto postcard size paper. <BR>Write a lovely message with the usual <BR>"Wish you were here", address them, and pack them in your suitcase. Upon arrival, stamp them and send them. <BR>THEN, prepare your online postcards that will be sent upon departure! <BR>Takes care of that nasty little task, aye? <BR>Here's to more Merlot!

Rex Jan 21st, 2001 11:32 AM

What an outstanding - - devious - - but wonderful idea, Gigi! <BR> <BR>At a minimum, it's a great way to take your addresses! <BR> <BR>

Gigi Jan 21st, 2001 01:39 PM

Thanks, Rex... <BR>That's me...outstanding and devious... <BR>wait till you get YOUR postcard from me! <BR>Gigi <BR>

sadeyes Jan 21st, 2001 01:44 PM

HMMMMM.....Marvelous ideas, people. I especially like Dr. Betty's ideas on learning dance techniques, and Gigi's ideas about the postcards! <BR>Rex, let us know what that postcard is, will you? <BR>I'm still open to more suggestions, I still have 5 weeks, 5days, 14 hours to go....

Annette Jan 21st, 2001 09:06 PM

sadeyes, I think you need to take your eyes off the holy land for awhile. Get another cool hobby that is completely non-travel related. Then repeat to yourself three times daily, Germany is not nirvana...

Sadeyes (drinking less) Feb 15th, 2001 04:19 AM

Well, well, well, the true countdown in on and I've managed to hang on by the merest thread! I've dance myself silly, (Thanks to Dr. Betty, and by the way, that's pretty good for the figure!), I drank loads of wine (while watching Bill's suggested 'Sound of Music'...which I now know my heart...), took the advice of Gigi, have my online postcards, written, dated to be sent online when I am gone (hope there's no computer klitch at that time!), have all my clothes in a bag and ready to roll, double checked my list and <BR>I AM READY! <BR> <BR>Any ideas what to do in these last few days...? <BR> <BR> <BR>

nancy Feb 15th, 2001 10:16 AM

Take a deep breath?! :) <BR>Have a great trip.

rusty nail Feb 15th, 2001 01:25 PM

Sadeyes: Buy the Fodor's French for Travelers tape and learn how to say a few (at least!) perfect phrases, and walk around the last few days with a walkman attached to your head. That blocks out everyone saying "shutup, already! Speak english!"

Thyra Feb 15th, 2001 02:48 PM

Do something indulgent... treat yourself to a nice meal.. a massage... or facial... my husband buys a little trinket for his hobby (musician)... you need some instant gratification to get you through the next 6 weeks of deprivation....(great advice about the Merlot)!