Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me get to & from this tiny town near Orange France: train, car, thumb...

Nov 27th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

This is more complicated than I thought it would be.

We fly into Paris around 7:30 AM. We have to be in Mondragon (about 10 miles from Orange) that night. Our plan was to get the TGV from CDG aiport, get off in Orange and rent a car to get to Mondragon.

The next 4 nights we are in Beaulieu-sur-mer, then on to Paris. We would turn the car in at Nice and take the train the rest of the way.

Europecar lists a rental office in Orange at the Hotel Ibis, but everytime I try to book it, it tells me no cars are available even using the lowest category of rental.

If anyone if familiar with Orange, will there be taxis at the train station? Would 10 miles be too far to get a taxi to take us? I was thinking if we could get to the hotel by taxi and back the next day, we could take the train into Nice and pick up the car there.
Nov 27th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Have you tried Autoeurope? http://www.auto-europe.co.uk/
Nov 27th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I did. So I'm thinking that car rental place must be very small and not linked to the major consolidators.
Nov 27th, 2006, 08:37 AM

What were the dates you specified?
Nov 27th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Some hire companies at the airport:

http://www.diycarhire.com.au/pages/c...ge_airport.asp

If worse comes to worse, you could always stay in Orange overnight.
Nov 27th, 2006, 10:06 AM

You could accept a longer drive and try to get a rental either in Montélimar or Avignon.
Nov 27th, 2006, 11:15 AM
ira

Hi Linda,

Call AutoEurope 1-888-223-5555.

They usually use Europcar.

Nov 27th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

For Michael, yes I tried Autoeurope. They aren't booking cars for that location evidently. We arrive on May 17.

For everyone else, thank you for your reply, however the problem is that we are arriving at the train station. We have to go to Mondragon that night, so I was trying to see if maybe we could get a taxi.

I finally was able to get Avis to confirm an intermediate sized car at the train station for one day. I've never used Avis before but there's a first time for everything!

What I think we'll do is, jump back on the train the next day, get off in Nice and rent a higher category car there.
Nov 27th, 2006, 01:08 PM

I do not think that you need to push the panic button. Wait until the New Year at least before renting a car. Because of exchange issues, Autoeurope and Europcar might not be willing to give that much of a lead time.
Nov 27th, 2006, 01:30 PM

You do know that the TGV doesn't stop at Orange, right ?

The closest TGV stop would be Avignon, and then about a 40 minute drive (taking the A7 north, exiting at Bollene and coming back down the N7 to Mondragon - easier than going through Orange).

Nov 27th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

"You do know that the TGV doesn't stop at Orange, right ?"

No, I did not know that but I had a sneaking little feeling after I booked the car and was going to ask about it.

Thank you for the heads up. Avignon looks like where we need to stop off. I do have directions to this place from Avignon, I just thought Orange was closer and forgot about the TGV vs SCNF thing.

Thanks again!