Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help me find a great modern reasonably priced hotel in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-me-find-a-great-modern-reasonably-priced-hotel-in-rome-300911/)

lesm Feb 8th, 2008 12:44 PM

Help me find a great modern reasonably priced hotel in Rome

I am getting so depressed searching for hotels in Rome. The interiors seem so drap, and uninteresting, and worst of all, so expensive. I would like to find a nice, modern hotel or B&B in a centrally located spot in Rome. Under $250 a night for 2 people would be ideal. I have seen a few in Trastevere that look cute, but I have also read that this neighborhood is full of graffati and is very dirty. Any ideas for a charming, reasonably priced hotel in Rome?

i_am_kane Feb 8th, 2008 02:27 PM

The first one that comes to mind is the Hotel Modigliani in Rome.

Good reviews on www.tripadvisor.com, as well as a personal friend who stayed there.

You didn't mention when you trip will be, so I couldn't check the room rate for your dates.

shooshy Feb 9th, 2008 04:30 AM

TTT

tedgale Feb 9th, 2008 05:21 AM

Would you consider an apartment?

For the amount you are prepared to pay, ie 170 E/ night, you can rent this apartment:

http://www.rentalinrome.com/tiber_view/tiber.htm

It is a spacious one bedroom with very modern bath, a small terrace looking across the Tiber to St Peter's, a full kitchen, fireplace, etc.

I have not seen the apartment but I do know the building -- it's the same building that houses the HQ of Bulgari, the jewellers: 10, Lungotevere Marzio. It's in the historic centre -- say, 5 minutes on foot to P.zza Navona/Pantheon, 5-10 minutes to P.zza del Popolo, maybe 12 to the Spanish Steps, 10 minutes to the Vatican, 15-20 minutes to the Forum

We will be staying there for a week in early March. Can let you know how it turns out.

SusanP Feb 9th, 2008 06:28 AM

I do admit that I'm a slow walker, but all I can is that tedgale must be a pretty fast walker! :-d

tedgale Feb 9th, 2008 06:34 AM

Actually I guess I am a pretty fast walker, LOL...

...to the point that several people have complained -- either because they cannot keep up (e.g. my spouse, who upbraided me 2 days ago) OR because they thought that in charging ahead, I was "trying to send them a message" ie was p***ed off at them.

Travelnut Feb 9th, 2008 06:38 AM

We enjoyed Residenza Antica Roma, situated between Trevi, Span Steps, and Barberini... the decor is far from 'drab'. Our room was 180€ but they'd charge 170€ for cash payment. Good breakfast buffet and cool coffee machine... Every floor has a 'parlor' area for meeting your companions; small lift and 24-hr reception...

Walkable to Spanish Steps and Pincio, Piazza Navona... we walked home from the Colosseum once.. Good bus service as well.

www.residenza-anticaroma.com

Vttraveler Feb 9th, 2008 06:58 AM

I don't think most people would agree with the assessment that Trastevere is dirty and full of graffiti. See this thread for reassurance/inspiration:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34792021

I don't know how long you are staying but agree with other posters who have suggested considering an apartment. They tend to be much better value than hotels

tedgale Feb 9th, 2008 07:03 AM

Trastevere is not so very dirty or graffiti-ridden. But it is a little too lively at night for SOME people, to judge by some tripadvisor and Fodor's threads.

For me, it's just a little too far from the things I want to do. If you are JUST across one of the bridges, it could be okay.

StCirq Feb 9th, 2008 07:24 AM

Another vote for the Hotel Modigliani.

justwannatravel Feb 9th, 2008 09:49 AM

We tend to spend less than $250/night for accommodations, so this may not work for you, but checkout "www.b-b.rm.it". We stayed at the "fornaci code#016" and found it to be clean, quiet,convenient-on bus #46 route- and very reasonably priced. Certainly no-frills, but our room "Cupola" had a small table & chairs for 2 where we often had lunch,which we purchased at the grocery store just up the road. As well, there was a cafe right across the street that was frequented by locals, where we bought pastries for breakfast. The breakfast supplied was nothing to get excited over! But for only about 90 euros/night/double,we didn't mind. It is also across the Tiber river, but we didn't mind the 15-20 min walk to Piazza Navona,etc. The area seemed very safe.
The site I mentionned was easy to deal with and reliable.
An aside, the infamous Bus# 64 is VERY BUSY, and apparently a pick-pocketers dream, but we travelled on it successfully, although very warily, with our backpacks.
If you enjoy coffee, be sure to visit the Cafe d'Oro near the Pantheon.
justwannatravel

justwannatravel Feb 9th, 2008 09:55 AM

I made a mistake on my previous posting...the B&B is on Bus route #64.
You can view more photos of the B&B by looking under Georgia Hill B&B, Rome on internet.
justwannatravel

travelsuper Feb 11th, 2008 07:17 AM

We stayed at Residenza Ave Roma which is a small hotel but was very nice. We booked as part of a package, but I think the rates are reasonable. Breakfast is included and if you can get room #6, it was just charming, with a canopy bed.

longboatkey Feb 11th, 2008 07:28 AM

Hotel Executive adjacent to Borgese Gardens, nice location, clean rooms and a nice staff and full breakfast.

NicaZ Feb 11th, 2008 11:01 AM

cross-pollinate.com is a great website for apartments. i love using them. check the location of the apartment though because while i have more than once had GREAT places, the last time the apartment wasn't so great and the area was far and terrible. But, more often than not, it is a fabulous find.

suetibu Feb 11th, 2008 11:33 AM

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/S...ome_Lazio.html

We had a great stay here. Very central.Very clean. Try the restaurant in front of it for very good and inexpensive food.

Good luck,
S

sebinah Feb 11th, 2008 03:35 PM

You might want to try Hotel Suisse near the Spanish Steps. It is on a quiet street but very close to Spanish Steps, Trevi, etc. There are only 12 rooms. Breakfast is delivered to your room. Good luck.

annabelle2 Feb 11th, 2008 05:19 PM

Not a hotel, a B&B, but I (and several other groups of friends who have gone there since I did) liked the Nicolas Inn very much. It is in an old building on a busy street (Via Cavour,not far from the Forum) but the interior of this little B&B is fairly contemporary and very soothing. The streetside windows are pretty soundproof.

www.nicolasinn.com

The owners (she is American) are great and extremely helpful.

I have stayed in Trastevere at the Hotel San Francesco - a very contemporary interior in an old building, with a little rooftop bar and an amazingly huge breakfast. buffet.

www.hotelsanfrancesco.net

Vttraveler Feb 12th, 2008 04:35 AM

here is a thread that might have a few more suggestions
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35069747

lesm Feb 12th, 2008 06:45 PM

justwannatravel,

How exactly does this "www.b-b.rm.it" website work? I checked it out, and some of the rooms look very promising. But it sounds like you are staying in someone's home, or part of their home? Is it private? Or is it a B and B? I'm confused. Also, how much of the payment do they require ahead of time?

As much info that you could provide would be excellent. THANKS!