Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me fill in the blanks (Rome Itinerary)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Myself, 2 adult sons, granddaughter (13) and grandson (12) in August 2011. This was originally to be a trip just me and granddaughter. She is highly interested in ancient history and mythology.

Monday
1. Arrive FCO @ 8:45 AM
2. Get to Apartment (Coliseum area) about 10:30 AM (allowing extra time because last time our luggage took 1-1/2 hour to get on the carousel BUT will try carryon only)
3. Apartment owner will spend about an hour with us advising transportation, grocery and restaurant ideas, etc. (have stayed here before so know this will happen)
4. Walk to Coliseum (3 blocks from apartment) and grocery shopping on way back to apartment
QUESTION: Is the above enough or do you think I can add 3D-Rewind (already paid but have up to 10 days to use the tickets) it should last 1 hour. AND/OR Angel Tour of Pantheon (this is an evening free tour at 5 pm for 30 minutes)

Tuesday
1. 9 AM to 2 PM - Tour with apartment owner
ANCIENT ROME plus the Museum of Civiltà Romana and Planetarium
The tour would start at 9am, should last approx 5.

Comprehensive tour, mainly by car, to understand and appreciate the history and the strong permanence of the Ancient Rome in the contemporary Rome:
• The Roman walls, aqueducts and doors (Aurelian walls, Porta Maggiore, Porta Ostiensis).
• The Roman baths and entertainment places (Terme di Caracalla and Terme di Diocleziano, Circus Maximus and Colosseum [outside of Colosseum]).
• The Rome commercial life (Testaccio hill, Pyramid and Horrea).
• The Imperial residences (the Palatine).
• Monuments celebrating the Imperial conquests (Arco di Tito and Colonna Traiana)
2. Hang out in apartment for maybe a couple of hours and have a bite to eat.
3. Walk or train to Pantheon (maybe the free tour with Angel Tours @ 7 PM)

Wednesday - Early train to Venice

Thursday
1. 9:55 am Secret Itineraries Tour (reservation not made yet)
2. Late afternoon or early evening train back to Rome

Friday
Roman Forum, Colosseo.
Underground tour – Should I do an early or late tour?
Question: Add anything?

Saturday
1. Pristine Sistine with Walks of Italy (Includes Sistine Chapel, Vatican Museums and St. Peter’s Basilica)
2. St. Peter’s Dome
3. Castel Sant Angelo

Sunday
Buried Under Rome with Context Tours (Tue-Sun @ 10 am or 3 pm) absolutely a must for my granddaughter

Monday
Mythology Workshop with Context Tours (Mon-Sat @ 9 or 10 AM) absolutely a must for my granddaughter

Tuesday
DARN! Fly home to USA

Where do I add (in our priority):

Pantheon - absolutely a must for my granddaughter
Trevi fountain
Victor Emmanuelle building
Mouth of Truth
Spanish Steps

Anything else?
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 05:44 PM

You have a few options for when/how to fit in the additional sights in Rome:

Pantheon - this is one of my two favourite buildings in Rome, so I will find a way to fit this in! Perhaps on Monday afternoon, when you've walk from your accommodation (to tackle jet-lag)towards the Colosseum (I would do grocery shopping first thing, then you're free to wander), you can continue on down the via dei Fori Imperiali, up via del Corso a little and then turn left to cut down past Hadrian's Temple to the Pantheon. You should make the tour by 5pm given the timings above.

Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps - you can continue from the Pantheon on the first evening and take a stroll to the Trevi and then Spanish Steps. There are several routes you can take, and could even walk up via del Corso (towards Pz del Popolo) and turn right into via Condotti for a little window shopping on the way to the Steps. From there, walk back towards the Trevi and then you can either continue back to your apartment (will be a long stroll!) or stop and have dinner out that first night, then go back to the apartment and face plant into your pillows.

Victor Emmanuele Monument - unless you plan to go inside the museum(s) here, then you will pass by the monument when you walk from the Colosseum to via del Corso and if you take the Express Bus 40 back from the Vatican on Saturday (leaves near Castel St Angelo) you will pass by it again and can even get off there and walk back up via dei Fori Imperiali. You'll no doubt go past it during your driving tour.

Mouth of Truth - this is also in walking distance from your apartment, or you can do it on the second Monday after the workshop and tour (not sure what time that finishes) or even after the Palatine on the Tuesday afternoon.

There are a few more things I could add as sights, but you've got a pretty full itinerary and where to fit things in will depend on what you decide to do after some of the tours you're planning. Oh and the Colosseum tour - I'd suggest doing it first thing if you can get a booking time then; this is so the heat won't be as bad then as by midday and you'll also have the place to yourselves for the first 5mins anyway(!).
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 05:52 PM

Don;t miss the San Clemente church. It has been excavated down to the original roman temple (to Mithras - the god of the roman soldiers) and you can see each level from the current down through the centuries to the most ancient remains. Absolutely fascinating.
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 07:33 PM

will the kids be able to keep up this pace?? especially after an overnight flt from usa??

is a few hours in venice worth the expense? i would take the grand canal boat and wander around st marks and some of the alleys and call it a day if you have to... forget a tour
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM

I second the recommendation for San Clemente. I've been to Rome six times and only found this gem on my last visit. Well worth visiting and going down through the layers of the church (and through time.) There's even some 500-year old graffiti carved into one of the frescoes in the upper area of the church. It's located very close to the Coliseum.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies! I should have mentioned this is the first trip overseas for all except myself.

To madamtrashheap wonderful suggestions.

I had forgotten to add the San Clemente Church to the list of musts. I visited this on my last trip and enjoyed it and something my granddaughter will especially enjoy. Which day does everyone think I should fit it in?

The grandkids will keep up - not sure about my adult sons though I will keep an eye on the kids though and if something has to be dropped from the intended plan it will be dropped.

The overnight trip to Venice is to just give them a look-see as I have been there twice before. They are looking forward to seeing it - a city with canals for streets. I am up in the air about the Secret Itineraries tour.

This trip is to give the grandkids a taste of adventure to other places and hopefully they will continue in the future. Granddaughter already wants to visit Greece and Egypt for her 16th birthday and grandson has shown interest in visiting Russia for his 16th. Since I will be 72 and 73 for their 16th birthdays, I sure hope I will be there for them.

Keep up with suggestions and or changes. I am open for any and all suggestions.

Thanks again,
Lydia
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 03:56 AM

I would not do the Secret Itineraries tour if you will only be in Venice for a few hours. We were just there and did this - it was interesting - but you end up spending about 1.5 hours in the attic of the Doge's Palace - wouldn't be good on a hot day and there is so much outside to see and do - I'd drop it and spend the time walking around actually seeing things in Venice in your short time...
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 04:15 AM

I understand the desire to see Venice, but I would strongly suggest skipping that this trip. The train to Venice is 4-4.5 hours each way. Add in time getting to/from the station, waiting for the train, and you're going to spend at least 10 hours travelling in one day just for a few hours of touring.

Use the extra day in Rome to see some of the other sights you want to see. Alternatively use that day, or part of it, to leave the city and head to Ostia Antica for some great (and less traveled) ruins by the coast. It takes less than one hour via public transport.

I you feel you MUST see another city at least make it Florence as the train ride there is only about 90 minutes.

Have a great time!
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 05:33 AM

Check out my website ( www.passagetoroma.com ). On the left you'll see the GoogleMaps link. This will give you a map reference and associated MP3 audio for about 60 locations in Rome. You can also download my free printable guidebook from the library area and you can also download the entire MP3 audio guide from the same area. In addition are scores of official brochures.

dave
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

uflecku the trip to Venice is overnight not a day trip. We will arrive 10:30 am on Wednesday and depart Thursday at 5:30 pm.

illnative I have done the "Secret" tour myself and did enjoy it. Taking into consideration this trip is in August (hot), I'm taking your suggestion and dropping the idea. There is so much to see and do they won't miss it.

daveesl I have been to your site months ago and downloaded MP3 guides. I will have them loaded on each of their ipods. I also have brochures and your guidebook.

Thanks again for all your help!
Lydia
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 06:16 PM

I'm with illnative in suggesting you don't do the guided tour in Venice. You've already been there so know things that would interest your family (and that you either want to see this time around, or want to visit again) so I'm sure you can plot a walk that will take you to the significant sights and still have time for a gelato or 7.

And although it's a 4hr train ride (I'm guessing you're taking the Eurostar (Italia), you'll be happy you took them to Venice, and by the sounds of things you're all pretty active and happy to spend all day trekking around, so if they all wan to see Venice and you're happy to go back - go!