Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Help me figure out an itenerary for a week to ten days in Ireland

Help me figure out an itenerary for a week to ten days in Ireland

Mar 23rd, 2012, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Help me figure out an itenerary for a week to ten days in Ireland

We have done quite a bit of independent travel in Europe but we have never done Ireland. I could easily tell you a good itenerary for Bavaria or London or Paris but I am at a loss for Ireland. I am sure we will fly in and out of Dublin and we will rent a car. I think we will want to see the South and Southwest coastal areas but I could be talked out of that. We are plenty happy staying in 2 or 3 star accommodations or B&Bs. We will have a week to 10 days. Thanks in advance for your experience and knowledge.
Mar 23rd, 2012, 12:24 PM

We've especially enjoyed the area around Killarney National Park. Hike around Muckross Lake and tour Muckross House. You can also hike or walk in the Gap of Dunloe in the area. The Dingle Peninsula is not far and you can drive the Ring of Kerry. There's really a lot to do in that area. Be sure to listen for traditional Irish music coming out of one of the local pubs and pop in for a pint. Be prepared for rain whatever the season. I can't remember where we stayed, but am sure Tripadvisor has lots of recommendations. Have a great trip. Oh, and I wouldn't go out of my way to kiss the Blarney Stone!
Mar 23rd, 2012, 04:29 PM

Are you really set on flying in and out of Dublin? If you want the southwest shannon would be a better starting point. Or fly into one and out the other so you won't have to backtrack.`
Mar 23rd, 2012, 05:01 PM

We have been to Ireland (on our own) 6 or 7 times...I agree with the other folks that you should fly in and out of Shannon...Spend the week touring the west and south west...Spend a night in Dingle ( I can recommend a few places)drive the Ring of Dingle, and then travel north to Galway through the Connemara area...It is so beautiful and quiet there. And forget the touristy places like Blarney Castle etc...
Mar 24th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Irish, we can fly open jaw if it makes more sense. I really appreciate your recommendations.
Mar 24th, 2012, 11:40 PM

I can't say what is best since we've only been once. However, we decided that we wanted to see the west/southwest like others have mentioned (and we flew in/out Shannon).

We did 3 nights in Killarney, 2 nights in Dingle, and 3 nights in Galway. Here are some photos if that helps you decision either way.

http://ukfrey.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/ireland.html

Search this Thread