Reload this Page >

Help me eat my way through Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Richard

Here's my travel itinerary---I've never been to one of these cities. I'll list the city and the number of nights, and I'd appreciate you helping me fill the dinners, and any sights that are a must. Here goes: <BR> <BR>Munich 1 nite <BR>Salzburg 2 nites <BR>Bologna 2 nites <BR>Spoleto 2 nites <BR>Positano 4 nites <BR>Pietrasanta 3 nites <BR>Lake Como 3 nites <BR>Interlaken 2 nites <BR>Zurich 1 nite <BR> <BR>If any of these places rate a thumbs down, I'd like to hear about that as well, and if I'm staying someplace too long. <BR> <BR>thanks

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 02:42 PM
sally

Saw Spoleto only at night, but can recommend a great little restaurant called Tric Trac. It is in the plaza where the Duomo is, in fact if you are standing in front of the Duomo, it is right there on the right. Great food, attentive service and a friendly mgr. who speaks very nice English. Everyone says the frescoes in the Duomo are fabulous; unfortunately, we arrived a bit too late in the day to see them. Have not been to any of your other locations, so cannot help you further. Have a great trip; if possible get over to Spello, which is a quaint little town (eat at Il Trombone). I also understand that Todi is nice, but did not see it--our Italian hosts highly recommended we go there, as well as to Spello.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 02:52 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Richard, That is a very nice trip. I would opt for Verona rather than Bologna, and I would stay your last nite in Luzern--only an hour from Zurich---especially if you are on the rails at that point. I would also skip Munich and go right to Salzburg, and then spend the extra nite either at Hallstatt or somewhere in the Dolomites. <BR>You will not have a problem finding good food in these locations. Ask about the Isola Comancina ristorante when you are at Lago Como. Good luck !

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 03:41 PM
s

Richard, <BR>Your evolving trip is really taking great shape! I hope you're having half the fun planning it as we are checking it out! <BR> <BR>I would second Bob the Nav's recommendation to stay in Lucerne versus Zurich. I would also trade Interlaken for Grindelwald. Have you found the websites for the villages to see what they look like firsthand? If not, check out www.grindelwald.ch, www.interlaken.ch, www.lucerne.org, and www.zurichtourism.com. <BR> <BR>You don't mention (and I don't remember from your earlier posts) if you have made hotel reservations in all of these cities? If not, I'd like to recommend the Relais & Chateaux group (www.relaischateaux.fr). Their properties offer a unique mix of cosy and luxurious, and their restaurants are always first class. <BR> <BR>Best of luck! <BR> <BR>s

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 07:58 PM
richard

thank you all for your replies. Your advice is being considered. The hardest part of this website is that I have trouble navigating my way back to my posts, to see if there's a response. I type in the exact title of my post, and it constantly says, "no match." what am I doing wrong????

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 02:40 AM
hhh

The simple answer is that the search engine doesn't work predictably. This has led to the "timestamp" crusade" - - which hasn't garnered all that much support. <BR> <BR>YKWIA <BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 03:52 AM
Lizzie

First off, what a wonderful trip! Wish I were going with you. <BR> <BR>How to find old posts? Typing in the exact title never seems to work for me. But typing in two/three words does... for instance, I just did a search for this one using "help," "eat," and "Europe." <BR> <BR>Hope that helps!

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 01:48 AM
wendy

I couldn't resist someone's plea who wants help eating their way through Europe. My hero! Although, I've just discovered that my Italy guide books are still in my car from my last trip, I'll bring them up later today, and if you are interested, feel free to contact me directly and I'll forward specific on directions, addresses, websites etc... <BR> <BR>In Bologna: Try Tamburini. Not only is it the best food shop you will ever set foot in, it is situated in central Bologna among many outdoor food markets on a very old street. <BR>S. Tamburini is a robust generous man who will share cooking tips and his good humor with you. Even though it is situated as a luncheon buffet/cafeteria style service, you cannot beat the display and offerings of many FABULOUS regional specialties! A real favorite of the locals and I never miss it. <BR>Dinner in Bologna: Trattoria Caminetto d'Oro, specializes in wonderful pastas (surprise!) and a torta di noci (walnut cake). <BR> <BR>Spoleto: I don't know where you are/aren't staying, but you cannot beat the Hotel San Luca! FABULOUS beautiful hotel, I wish there were one like it in every city. A small villa turned hotel, charming, roomy (yes, I said roomy!)and affordably elegant. There is a central courtyard for breakfasts and lunch with running stone fountains. <BR>Just around the corner from the cathedral (not to miss) there is a food shop called 'Alimentari-Macelleria Giancarlo'. This is an OLD gastonomia passed down father to son since 1620!Giancarlo, the owner, is quite a character! He is robust, full of life and passionate about his shop's specialites and regional offerings, ricotta, strangozzi, fava, farro, formaggio di tartufo, funghi, cinghale, walnut and olive embedded breads and offers samplings and tastings of eveything! We were there for hours talking to him and tasting many things while listening to his stories and explanations...(believe it or not, we saw him a week later in Milano at a food show, and he remembered us!) <BR>For dining also near the Duomo, just outside Maestro Menotti's house, is the "Tric-Trac", try the pasta with truffles and veal and vegetables, all are excellent. <BR> <BR>Salzburg- I cannot remember the name beyond the english translation to save my life (anyone been there and can help me remember the name?), but it was called, "The Drunken Monkey" (I swear) across the river from oldtown. I stayed at the Hotel Wolf, with pine floors, armoires and feather beds....lovely! The uh, er, drunken monkey was a REAL experience as it was a true local restaurant and the fun was the old piano in the corner that locals 'bellied up to' to pound out their favorite tunes and they get the entire place singing along. We ate fabulous b'wurst and kraut with mustard toasts on pewter plates and beer in the most beautiful tall glasses (so beautiful I negotiated and bought them to bring them home)As I usually eat in Michelin-starred restaurants for work, this was fun and much needed change! <BR> <BR>It does sound like fun! Buon Viaggio! <BR>Wendy <BR>

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 02:18 AM
wendy

I answered the following in another thread and realized I forgot to tell you about Positano: <BR>For great pastries and citrus gelato, try the Bar La Zagara on the Via dei Mulini. <BR>For a real local dining experience, go down to the little harbour and look for a small boat with the words 'Da Adolfo' on it and they will row you to one of the last undiscovered restaurants ...not to miss is the cheese infused with lemon leaf fragrance, spaghetti al pomodoro and at the end fresh peaches cut into wine. <BR> <BR>For local 'lemoncello' I Sapori di Positano on Via dei Mulini makes this regional specialty from their own lemons! <BR> <BR>Ravello: <BR>A REAL favorite is Trattoria Cumpa' Cosimo, on Via Roma. The owner is a CHARMING lady named Netta who floats around serving, handing out more napkins, describing dishes and the family farm. The best choice of pasta is actually the platter with 7 different types (piatto misto della casa)a wait, but worth it! Especially the crespolino, a crepe with mozzarella and prosciutto. The pizza is wonderful as well! For the quality of food, and the personal service, you leave with a feeling of having not only eaten a wonderful meal, but having made a friend. <BR> <BR>Buon Viaggio! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <BR>