Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help me decide whether or not to go, please!!! JFK to Sicily (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-me-decide-whether-or-not-to-go-please-jfk-to-sicily-300713/)

AP6380 Mar 25th, 2003 11:24 AM

Help me decide whether or not to go, please!!! JFK to Sicily

I am having a serious case of indecision regarding my trip. I know it's a personal decision, but I just can't make it. I am supposed to be going to Sicily for 10 nights leaving this week, and I have been planning and researching it for many months. The biggest issue for me is that they have me taking 3 planes to get there. And the actual flights have changed SO many times it makes me wonder if once I get there, will I get back. Please just say go or don't go, and maybe why you feel this way. I unfortunately will not get any clarity regarding refunds/postponement until tomorrow, the day before I go due to the manager not being in at the travel agency. No nasty comments, just thoughts please.

Felissa Mar 25th, 2003 11:26 AM

GO and have a great time, you put a lot of thought and effort into it, so go and relax.

jane00 Mar 25th, 2003 11:34 AM

I was undecided also and just returned from 8 days in Brussels and Amsterdam. It was quite fun with just a few rude comments along the way. Nothing serious. I was SO very glad I didn't change my schedule. Actually felt very safe on the planes and everywhere and CNN Europe was so interesting to watch. I would go again in a second, and the airports seemed quite busy in spite of all the talk about the travel slowdowns.

GAC Mar 25th, 2003 11:35 AM

GO

SeaUrchin Mar 25th, 2003 11:37 AM

Go. I will follow you over in May.<BR>Sicily is wonderful, are you going to Taormina?

bigguy Mar 25th, 2003 11:38 AM

HI AP6380,<BR> I agree, please go and enjoy ! You will be well received and respected.Just don't get into long winded discussions about &quot;IRAQ&quot;.Europeans are down on the &quot;ADMINISTRATION&quot;, not Americans.They have the reason and depth to see the trees for the forrest.<BR> Let me know, about your trip.I leave in September.

sheila Mar 25th, 2003 11:39 AM

Well, you're a wee bit early for the spring migration (tho we have a few migrants in this week:)) but the weather has been wonderful the last 10 days and i can't think of anywhere better to relax at the moment. Go with the flow. Don't worry about things and if you have to spend a night somewhere becasue you missed a connection it won't be the end of the world, will it?

kjl Mar 25th, 2003 11:40 AM

My Advice...Go!!!<BR><BR>We leave Friday for Paris, Brugge<BR>and Germany. I can't wait.

GregPCM Mar 25th, 2003 11:44 AM

GO GO GO, unless.... There is no unless! We left for Europe in Sept. 2001 after the planes started flying again, it was the best thing we could have done. When we were there it was like there was no terrorism or war. You were very isolated and Europe has always been that way. Enjoy yourself, that's what life is all about.<BR><BR>Greg

epaulino Mar 25th, 2003 11:54 AM

I was leaving tomorrow for Spain and Portugal...Candel hotels and plans. Posted a note with my concern in this forum and guess what! I was the only one staying back at home...then I pulled myself back, decided to leave next week, same itinerary. The difference is that hotel and transportation within Spain and to Portugal has doubled due to the Easter Week celebration. <BR><BR>This forum gave me the strenght I needed to go and a lot of food for my thoughts. Thank you!<BR><BR>Please go, enjoy your trip and share with us when you come back!

cmt Mar 25th, 2003 12:01 PM

Go! You will just be more tired going and coming because of the grueling trip with the changes of planes, but that unpleasantness will become an unimportant memory by your second day in Sicily. The worst that can happen is you lose a half day of seeing Sicily because of the inconvenient flights, but if you cancel you will lose ten days of seeing Sicily.<BR><BR>P.S. If you don't want to go, can I take the tickets off your hands? I haven't been there since November and I miss it already:)

Tess_Durberville Mar 25th, 2003 12:20 PM

GO !<BR>As to your concerns about being there and NOT being able to get back . . . being stuck in Sicily sounds mighty fine to me. Buon Viaggio !!! Will look forward to reading your trip report.<BR>

mari3 Mar 25th, 2003 12:32 PM

We returned just last night from two weeks in Sorrento Italy and it was wonderful. NO problem at all, and that included 4 days in London on the return. I understand Sicily is great and we would love to go there. There is probably a little extra security at airports, but that is good. I know you will enjoy your vacation. The Italians are wonderful people.

Elizabeth_S Mar 25th, 2003 01:21 PM

Go!

AP6380 Mar 25th, 2003 04:10 PM

Thanks so much for all the encouragement. I will follow your advice &amp; my gut- I'm going!

gomarciago Mar 28th, 2003 05:44 PM

GO! I am. I leave on April 17th for 30! days in Italy including ten in Sicily. If there is disruption to airflight service due to a 9/11 type occurance (God Forbid!) then oh well. We will just have to stay a little longer in Rome till flight to the US resume. <BR>P.S. I flew to London as soon as flights resumed after the 9/11 attacks.

pattysuericia Mar 28th, 2003 09:02 PM

AP6380 Go,I would go to Sicily anytime. What a great place!

toni Mar 28th, 2003 09:34 PM

You've got to go. We are going in May and have had a lot of our plans changed but I have been planning this trip for years and would be shattered if it didn't get off the ground, so to speak. Besides, who knows what's round the corner in the future? We're going to Sicily also, please, please, post a trip report, it will help to keep me enthusiastic too! Enjoy!

trice Mar 28th, 2003 10:14 PM

The airlines have changed their schedules radicaly since 9/11 and after. I understand your anexity. Just keep all records and receipts and reconfirm your flights. Enjoy Sicily! I never doubted my safty or flight status on a trip to Peru last week.. We are going to Rome, Naples and Taovina 1st week June. <BR>Please tell us all about Sicily.<BR> <BR>