Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me decide on an itinerary for April 2012

Old Sep 13th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning a 2.5 week trip to Europe with our two 8 year olds and my mother and father. We've narrowed it down to two possible itineraries and would love some feedback.

1) Paris --> London --> Rome
2) Madrid and Southern Spain

Here are our thoughts. My wife and I have been to Paris once, Rome twice, so it would not be a big deal if we missed the Louvre, the Vatican Museums, etc. We could experience those two cities with our kids without worrying about dragging them through the obligatory landmarks. Granted, we would drag them through the obligatory London landmarks, but that's only one city. Also, the first itinerary would not require renting a car and doing a lot of driving, but the second one would. Whereas the adults would enjoy driving through the Spanish countryside, I'm afraid the law of diminishing returns would kick-in for the kids within about 5 minutes. I also wonder if they would get bored in some of the smaller Spanish towns. There's also a level of familiarity with Paris and Rome that might come in handy, whereas Spain would be all-new. On the other hand, that's precisely why Spain appeals to us. We've heard wonderful things and, if the kids were older or not going with us, would be our choice. One of the things missing from the first itinerary is a sense of small-town culture. You can get closer to the people in those situations, away from the hustle-and-bustle of the three capitals, which is another strike against itinerary one. Would the kids be on sensory overload?

As you can tell, I'm torn. I see positives and negatives both ways. I just want our kids' first trip to Europe to be fun and memorable. The best way to do that has me baffled, though.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 08:41 AM

I think cities offer more diversity for young children; more to see than just walking around small towns.

In Paris, London, and Rome there are plenty of parks for the kids to play and run around and plenty of places to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. There are many museums and sights the kids would enjoy, depending on their interests. And the mix of these cities offers diversity.

Since you're visiting 3 cities in 2.5 weeks you will have the time to do day trips to smaller towns and kids usually love train rides or take a picnic to one of the many parks and spend an afternoon there. It will be easier not to have 6 of you in the car, traveling to town after town, as in southern Spain.

I would join up with some walking tours that the kids would enjoy (usually 2 hours so they won't get bored and they'll have someone else to listen to, teaching them history and interesting facts about the sights, other than the parents/grandparents.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 09:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi Cat,

I think that there is more in Plan A [London/Paris/Rome] for kids of the age of yours than in Plan B [spain]

However, how about substituting Edinburgh for Rome, [or Paris] as you've been to both before? kids [of all ages] love the castle, there's a great zoo, and possibilities of day trips to lochs and such-like.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

annhig,

Interesting recommendation. Scotland is definitely on my to do list. What would the weather be like in April? Too cold?
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 11:01 AM

Love your first option.

Great idea from Ann about Edinburgh. You could also spend a day or two in York, en route. Lots of fun for kids there.

Maybe fly into Edinburgh > London > Paris. Fly home from Paris.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 01:39 PM

Interesting recommendation. Scotland is definitely on my to do list. What would the weather be like in April? Too cold?>>

DD [who is reading this over my shoulder] reminds me that when she went to Edinburgh on a "field trip" in april 2009, it was warm and sunny.

or could rain though. or snow. and/or it could so that in london in june.

hope for the best, plan for the worst.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

I think we're going to take the advice from this thread and axe Rome for Edinburgh/York. So...having said that...any Edinburgh/York recommendations? I know the must-dos: Edinburgh Castle, Princes Street/Gardens, Royal Mile, York Minster, Shambles, etc. What else? I think the Railway Museum in York sounds fun, esp. for my son.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 09:30 AM

years since i went to Edinburgh -i was about 11, and MY KIDS are 22 & 19.

DD says "the pubs" [she's the 22 year old], the castle, the zoo [she studied animal biology, and she said it was very good] the open-top bus tour, Surgeon's hall [not for the squeamish], the Ghost tours....

in york, the Jorvik Centre, the Shambles and Railway museum [you said that] the minster [yes, i know you said that too, but try if you can to catch a service or a concert; the organist/choir master used to be organist in Truro and he is very good, so the choir should be too], the races if you like that sort of thing...

enough yet?