Reload this Page >

Help me decide: London/bath/Oxford/Cardiff or Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Simon

I can't make up my mind. Give me your suggestions for August please ! Another option is Barcelona, but I think it would be too hot for me.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Courtney

Don't go to Barcelona in August! Unless you get really lucky, it will be unbearably hot and smoggy. I've lived in Spain the last two years and do everything possible to get out of Spain in July and August. <BR> <BR>Britain and Switzerland are both great choices for August. How much time do you have? What do you like to do on vacation? I would only try your British itinerary if you have 10+ days. Switzerland can be seen in less. If you really like historical sights/museums, Britain is the better choice.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Simon. You have responding to your query a regular Swiss afficionado. I love those mountains and could easily spend 3 straight weeks roaming around them. I have enjoyed being there for a total time span of several weeks. But, I am one who likes to ride the gondolas and hike the trails. <BR>If you don't like mountains, then go to Britain. <BR>I love them, so I go to Switzerland.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 08:50 PM
Greg

Let's do this logcally. England is expensive, crowded, the food is disgusting, traffic is horrendous, air is bad,people are rude, they don't bathe regularly, talk to them and enjoy their green teeth, but they have great castles. Switzerland is prestine, the food is great, the air is fresh, the scenery is breathtaking. Your call

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 01:38 AM
Elspeth

Why not come to Edinburgh? Great city, and in August we have the Festival - lots of great shows, and an amazing atmosphere. Barcelone will be v hot in August (been there, done that) although your other options sound good. England isn't actually as bad as Greg makes out, but let's face it, Scotland is so much better...

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 05:28 AM
jody

Greg, <BR>You must meet the wrong class of people and eat in all the wrong places! London is now called the NEW PARIS!!

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 06:50 AM
joe

Came back from Bath and London last week. Enjoyed both very much, Ate different ethnic food every night and it was very good. The best B&B I have ever seen is in Bath, Brock's.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 07:43 AM
Greg

Jody: Oh contraire, we stayed in four and five star hotels and B&B's. I was surprised when we had this experience at great Fosters, Crosby Lake Lodge, Dalhousie and the like. The hotels (structures)were wonderful, but the Brits who were there in May of 1999 were less than pleasant (attitude and bodily hygiene). This was my second trip and was a repeat of the first. How anyone can say that London is the second Paris hasn't experienced the Paris I know. It was funny because I had heard all of the horror stories about the French and my experiences (I go 3 times a year) throughtout the country have been so opposite. The French told us that the English kill their meat twice - once when they shoot it and again when they cook it. I would agree. Ever wonder why all of the epidemics are getting their start in that country? Hell, the Irish, the Scots and the Welsh don't even want to be associated with them! I think if the Scots could saw their land and push England away they would. Don't misunderstand me, I will give them beautiful structures and countryside but no more.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Simon

Thanks everyone...but I still cant make up my mind. Please keep suggesting ... you are a great help !

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 12:18 PM
Amy

This is a truly a toughie--I've done both: <BR>Reuti, Hasliberg region, Switzerland, with a train pass, in a chalet: both invigorating and relaxing, beautiful surroundings, Swiss efficiency and decent food... <BR>London et al fascinating busy mind-broadening, site of literature/learning/living for so long... <BR>Have you considered Iceland?

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 02:30 PM
Tony

Iceland ? ? ?

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Amy

Sure, Tony! Combine the scenic beauty with the literature and history, place in a cool, bright August setting, and--voila: Iceland. <BR>Actually, I've got to stop recommending it to people: one of the best things about it is the lack of crowds.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 04:52 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Simon I feel that I <BR>have to beat the drum for my favorite <BR>vacation site in Europe, Switzerland <BR>and that is the Berneroberland. Have <BR>not been able to get there in August <BR>always September and October. But the <BR>mountains and etc., in this area are <BR>worth a visit. If you are into a little <BR>hiking and enjoy gondolas, mountain tops <BR>and swiss cow bells, you are in. <BR>If you do decide on CH, drop me a line <BR>and will help you with what any information you may need. <BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Tony

Amy.. <BR> <BR>Thanks for the note on Iceland, I have occasionally wondered about it. Australia, where I live, is a heck of a long way from Iceland, and so far news has'nt penetrated about any interesting history, or even an active literature scene in Iceland. Sorry about that. <BR>Regards, Tony.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 08:16 PM
Amy

Simon, on an added note, Basel in Switzerland is one of the original university towns, if that's part of what you were looking for. It's a good day trip from the Oberland/Hearland region. <BR>Tony, no problems! Just for more trivia, Iceland has all the cool Viking stuff plus the first European parliament, and the highest per capita books published of anywhere in the world. The language is so pure that modern Icelanders can read the Sagas of medieval times without translation, and the literacy rate is 100%. It is a bit of a trip from Oz, though, isn't it? That's been my problem with visiting Australia, although it's definitely on my list. When I become wealthy enough to vacation for three months.....

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 02:25 PM
Carole

This is to Richard in Ill., a virtual neighbor to me, near Detroit. I've got plane reservations to Zurich leaving Detroit, 5/26. Thought Bernese/Oberland would be the best place to hike, but wondering if it might be too cold in May. Any suggestions, since you've been there? My main interest is in doing at least one serious/challenging hike to a summit elevation about 12,000 feet. Last year we made it to the top of Half Dome, Yosemite. Would Zermatt be better? I'll be there about a week. I'm thinking it may be best to spend a couple days here and there, and find places to stay as I go, since it seems the major areas are only a couple hours drive away from each other. Also, I think I'd feel most comfortable renting a car rather than relying on public transportation. Again, any suggestions or insights. Thanks, Carole