Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me decide: E. Med cruise or Paris/Lake como....

Feb 21st, 2008, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
I'm planning a trip to Europe late April/early May for 10-12 days(thank goodness for frequent flyer miles!). We're looking to do either the 12 day Eastern Med. cruise: Athens, Istanbul, Santornini, Mykonos, Alexandria, Katalalon, Corfu (more exotic trip) OR.... Paris/Lake Como area, Paris/Santorni (more Romantic trip)????
This is a trip with just me& DH....sort of a last trip before having kids. Which would you suggest?
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:33 AM

Do Venice and Como in that time and enjoy the best of romantic Italia.
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob...anyone else?
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:08 PM

I think I'd suggest the opposite. You will probably have an opportunity to travel with your future kids somewhere down the road. Paris/Lake Como would be much easier with little ones than the Eastern Med places you mention.
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:18 PM

I personally agree with Jean - it's not bad traveling with little ones to W. Europe. But then again my family's favorite vacations (and we've been to many countries, including Italy, Switzerland, England several times and Croatia) were to Jordan and Turkey.
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:20 PM

I agree , I have kids, I have been to Greek islands and Rome , and Paris ,etc. . I think you should do the Greek Islands and Turkey( I haven't done Turkey) , now, without kids.
When you have kids Rome and Paris are much more doable then Turkey and Greek islands.

Lucky bum, go , and have fun!
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your advice! I love this board
Feb 24th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Rick & Pat: How old were your kids when you took them to Jordan/Turkey?
Feb 24th, 2008, 01:52 PM
ira

Hi S,

A cruise is completely different from a visit to Paris.

Both are good, in their own way.

Do you prefer tiramisu or apple pie?

Feb 24th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Hmm, tricky one!! What a tough decision to make!!

We have been to Paris with a little one which was fine, but we left Lake Como until we went by ourselves for our 20th wedding anniversary, thinking that there really wasn't much to hold a young child's attention in the Lake Como region. I think we made the right choice, Lake Como is one of the most romantic places in the world. We just loved it. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

My son however, would love to do a cruise (hasn't happened yet)so depending on the cruise ship this could be something to do with kids later on. There are always heaps of activities on board for children, (she says having never actually been on a cruise!!).

Toss a coin - you will win either way!!! Don't wait until you have been married for 20 years before you go to Lake Como though!!!!

Schnauzer
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:11 PM

Hello sammtyc, as much as I "loveItaly" considering what you have posted I would chose the cruise. I think if you have wanted to visit these places and know you would enjoy a cruise that doing so now before you have children would be a good choice.

Traveling in Italy is easy to do wit children imo. I have not been to Paris but I have read trip reports from families that have visited Paris with youngsters and it seems they all have had a wonderful time.

So, if I were in your position I would chose the cruise. Have a wonderful trip no matter what you decide on.
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:43 PM

Well, you named my two favorite places in the world - Paris and Lake Como.
We went to both, and sandwiched Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland in between the two. It was an unforgettable trip, and our 40th anniversary.
However, that said, I think for the time of year you plan to go, you might want to opt for the cruise. The trip I mentioned was taken one September and the weather was absolutely glorious in Lake Como.

But we had made our first visit there a few years earlier, in early May, and had horrendous weather - cold, blustery winds, heavy rains. Now I know you can have bad weather anytime, but I think late April-early May could be a bit soon in the season for Lake Como. Maybe some more experienced visitors to the region can offer more advice.
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:49 AM

I would agree that late April early May is just a little bit early for Lake Como, although its better than early to mid-April. I think you may find it cooler than you would want, and the big thing to me is that the wonderful gardens wonít be in bloom. Como is actually quite far north and in a highesh elevation.

However, IMO late April early May is really early for a Med cruise of Greece. Again, I think you will find it much cooler than you want, I donít think you will be swimming or sitting out on any of the beaches at all at that time of year, itís just too early, temps are in like the high 60s to low 70s F during the day. Eating outdoors may be a bit of an issue as well.

Look at weatherbase.com to see historical average temps and rainfall for the places you are considering. Remember that it will be even cooler on the water than it is on land or inland. If you are prepared for the temps, and overall lack of spring flowers, then I guess it would be OK.

Paris will be about the same, and of course no real flowers or blooms on trees, but still quite pretty in a bare-trees-and-wet-cobblestone streets way. (Eating outdoors again is not really possible unless you get a good warm sunny day.) If you arenít there over Easter, I think you would find the main tourist areas to be not crowded which is pleasant. I might combine this with London (again not great weather, but itís London, so much to do, you can hop the Eurostar over in a few hours) as you may want to concentrate on cities rather than the countryside at that time of year. Of course Paris is romantic at any time of year. (To me, it is the person your with, and not the place you go to that makes a place ďromanticĒ in any event.)

You could of course have a sort of heat wave in ANY of these places during that time (probably not actually hot but warm temps), the odds are against it, and I would not plan on it, but it is possible.