Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me decide bw 3 itineraries -- Italy with kids!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need help deciding. So excited to go at the end of May/beginning June. 4 grown ups, 4 kids (ages 2, 3, 6,8).
Would love to hear about your experiences with kids! Want relaxing, easy, good food, good first experience in Europe with kids, cultural experiences...Would love to hear pros/cons about each if you can share!

1) Fly into Rome and spend week in Umbria. Then off to Lake Garda. Then Venice.

2) Fly into Rome, connect to Bari and spend a week in northern Puglia. Then off to Amalfi Coast for a week.

3) Fly into Rome, spend a week in Southern Tuscany (near Pienza). Then Cinque Terre for 5 nights, 2 nights in Como and then leave from Milan.

Would love to hear any and all thoughts! Thank you!
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 10:13 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I might think Venice, wth all of its steps and bridges, would be anything but a good first experience for the person(s) carrying strollers up and down those steps and bridges; similarly, the adults in charge of keeping the toddlers out of the canals might not have a good experience, either.

This blog offers a good perspective on the Amalfi Coast with toddlers. Amalfi Coast with Kids | Toddler Travel Tips and has a series of articles on Cinque Terre for families with young children. You searched for Cinque Terre - Ciao Bambino
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 10:40 PM

1. You may consider visiting Gardaland which is an amusement park. Kids will have a blast. My son thoroughly enjoyed the rides out there. If your children are crazy about sports cars, then a visit to the Ferrari museum and factory is a must. It’s in Maranello close to Bologna. Again the experience is worthwhile.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 10:51 PM

As for the Amalfi region, I think visiting Sorrento and Positano is more than good enough. The drive from Sorrento to Positano is full of hair pin bends and roads are narrow. So you do feel giddy at times. But the place is absolutely beautiful. Ravello is another beautiful town down South.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 02:41 AM

I wouldn't choose any of those itineraries, but rather a combination.

I've been to Venice with toddlers - a big enough hassle that it wasn't very enjoyable for anyone.

I can't see 5 nights in the Cinque Terre with toddlers, either - it's not toddler terrain.

Lake Maggiore is, IMO, a lot more interesting for kids than the other two (though, as mentioned, Garda does have a big waterpark which could occupy them for most of a day if it's not cold).

I can't figure out how many days you have in total, but I would roughly plan my itinerary around Rome, Tuscany, Umbria, and the lakes. If you wanted to include some beach time (though it's unlikely you'll be swimming), you could head south from Rome to a shore town like Sperlonga or Gaeta for a few days. Plenty to do inland from there, too, if you have a car.

With 8 people, I'd just advise that you steer clear of trying to herd everyone around together.

Buona fortuna!
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 02:51 AM

Right off, I would eliminate the Cinque Terre and the Amalfi Coast with a 2 year old and a 3 year old, just too many steps, difficult walking and cliffs. I would not even think about Pompeii with children that age. I would re-think the itineraries and put together a new one. Rome works, you could rent an apartment for easier snacks and some meals. Venice is not too easy because of all the bridges, but it is doable. Bring a harness and leash for the little ones.

One car, unless it is a van, will not accommodate 8 people (including luggage), even if 4 are children, because all 4 will need car seats, which you will need to bring, buy or rent. Two might use booster seats, but the younger two will need full on regular seats. So, van or two cars if you stay in a more rural area or wish to explore the rural areas by car.

You could also choose a city or town and do day trips by train. Do not try to drive or park in towns like Florence. It is easy to accidently go into zones not available to non-residents, and later be surprised with huge fines. You will also need two strollers unless the little ones have a lot of stamina for walking or you are very patient.

These are not what you asked, but they need to be considered when creating your itinerary.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 03:03 AM

A van won't work. The biggest one you could rent is a 9-passenger vehicle, which will definitely not hold 8 people and luggage, even if you each bring only a paper bag. You also wouldn't be able to maneuver it or park it easily in small towns and villages. You'll need 2 cars, compact size or bigger.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 06:34 AM

GiovanniBenvenuto, bad advice and there is no advertising on this site.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 08:48 AM

There are tons of kid friendly places in Italy. Nashh and St. Cirq mentioned some of them. But you should change then completely your program and rather do what Italian families do.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 09:59 AM

Positano is not a great place to visit with a toddler, IMHO.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 10:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
IMO the CT, Venice and the AC would all be really difficult with two toddlers. Especially the CT. And Venice too unless you got accommodations with its own dock and you could use a water taxi and didn't wander around too awful much (or maybe stayed on the Lido)
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 11:10 AM

Hi!

During the past five years, at different times, I have done with toddlers: Rome, Venice, Cinque Terre (Vernazza and Manarola), Capri, Positano, Lake Como (Varenna), Tuscany (Pienza) and Lucca. Our favorites were Venice (off the beaten path), our week in an agriturismo near Pienza in Tuscany and our villa in Capri.

We managed the steps and the hills in CT and the Amalfi by using our ergo carrier a lot. We took turns watching the children at all times to prevent accidents.
My children are now 5 years old and 2 years old
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

What do italian families do?
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all.

Have any of you been to Puglia?

Thinking maybe Tuscany/Umbria and lakes or dare I say Tuscany/Umbria and then somehow get to Puglia for a second week?

We will be two families in two separate cars, just staying in villa/hotel together. No herding around. Sometimes together, sometimes not. Adult siblings and kids.

Thanks for all your thoughts!
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 02:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Choice number one is more child friendly especially Lake Garda. There are beaches, amusement park. Le Cinque Terre would be terrible with young kids as would the Amalfi Coast be difficult with it's terrain.
Choose Tuscany or Umbria. Umbria is less crowded. If you go to Venice perhaps staying out in the Lido would be better with kids. They could run around on the beach after being in Venice.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 11:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would not want to move around so much, traveling with so many people, and such young kids.

Maybe I missed it... but how long is the trip total days/nights?
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 11:55 AM

ditto about Venice Lido - great for kids and just a short boat ride from St Mark's Square. Also cheaper hotels, especially in May -lots cheaper and modern hotels.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 12:12 PM

I think Puglia would be child friendly--there are caves, the trulli would surely fascinate them, and the terrain is not as cumbersome as the other coastal spots you were considering. The schedule is also conducive--you have to do things in the morning before everything closes up from 12-5. That afternoon pausa is a good time for naps, hiking, swimming, etc. I agree that the Amalfi Coast and Cinque Terre would be better when the kids are older. Late May/early June is also a really nice time to be just about anywhere, but especially there.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 01:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<What do italian families do?>

Most of them live in one town. They aren't moving around to 3-4 different places in a limited amount of time
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 02:44 PM

When you say Tuscany-Umbria and then lakes, maybe you could combine a lot of that into a week near Lago Trasimeno. You'd get a bit of all of it. Then you could head down to Puglia as that seems to be high on your preferences. I would only move once if it were me. A week here and then a week there would be about it.

Several Fodorites have been to Puglia. Try to search for some reports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -