Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me decide between the "Hotel Ville Balbi" in Sestri Levante, "The Grand" in Portovenere, and "The Continental" in Santa Margharita

Help me decide between the "Hotel Ville Balbi" in Sestri Levante, "The Grand" in Portovenere, and "The Continental" in Santa Margharita

Jun 15th, 2001, 08:49 PM
DA

We will be there in September for two nights on our way back to Milan. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Jun 16th, 2001, 07:11 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Do not be blue--those are all great choices but much different. Do you like Palm Beach more than the Big Sur? If you want upscale resorty then do that. If you like quaint fishing villages then you have no choice. I love Portovenere, but it is a bit harder to access. The location is the key, not the hotel.

Jun 16th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Graziella

I didn t stay but i know the VIlleBalbi in Sestri Levante, I personally wopuld chose to stay there but as Bob The Navigator says it depends on what you prefer....

Jun 17th, 2001, 09:26 PM
DA

Thanks, actually we like both!! We'll have a car and will be visiting all those towns plus Cinque Terre, so in terms of local we're flexible. I do travel a lot on business, and have found that in many cases the hotel can really put a damper on things. We are not looking for the "Splendido" experience, but a good view and friendly staff are a must. Is Sestri Levante the glitziest? Are you considering Santa Margherita in between in terms of glitz?
Oh,and Bob, "the blues" are not a bad thing, as long as you like good music!!!

Jun 18th, 2001, 06:17 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Your call !
Continental= beachy, resorty
Villa Balbi=old world ambiance
GHP= quaint village & natural beauty

Cannot go wrong !

Jun 18th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Dawn

I have stayed at the hotel Continental in SM and absolutely loved it. Do you like to swim? They have the best swimming area in the town. A good day trip is cinque terre which we enjoyed (easy train ride) Eating breakfast on the terrace brings back such wonderful memories. Make sure to get a water view room if you choose this hotel. They hygrangeas are amazing. The town is heavily touristed but I think all of the coastal towns are.