Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me decide between L'Ancora and Poseidon in Positano

Sep 17th, 2002, 10:37 AM
JG

My fiance and I will be in Positano for our honeymoon in late Oct and have a reservation at the Poseidon hotel. We are in a Junior Suite for 346 Euro. The Ancora also has an available Junior Suite for 280 Euro (big price difference).
Has anyone been to these hotels? If so, would you recommend one over the other? Are the locations comparable?
Any advice/suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Sep 17th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Val

The poseidon is really nice. Stayed there 10 years ago and saw it recently (July). Great views, location good also. Cant speak for the Ancora. Dont know of it. When you go, have dinner in Montepertuso above Positano at the Donna Rosa. Dont miss Ravello also.

Sep 18th, 2002, 02:09 AM
beth

I have stayed at the Anc a few times...very nice...beautiful tiled rooms overlooking the see...and parking! We go to Positano once a year and L"Ancora is one of my favorites...It's way up on the hill (which we love...so be prepared to walk! If you have Positano questions, feel free to email me.

Sep 18th, 2002, 04:24 PM
KW

topping

Sep 25th, 2002, 08:13 PM
JG

topping. Just curious if anyone is familiar with both of these hotels and has a preference. THANKS!

Sep 25th, 2002, 08:58 PM
jk

I haven't stayed at either but am considering both for an upcoming trip myself - if you were happy to splurge for something really memorable then for 387euro you could get one of the suites at the Ancora which has its own private jacuzzi out on the terrace. You can see the pictures at http://www.htlancora.it/camere-eng.htm It looks awesome & thats what I'm hoping for when we go. (fingers crossed!) My understanding is the Posiedon is further up the hill so is a bit more of a walk if that matters to you. In addition if you happen to be driving the Ancora has free parking which is a bonus. I'm sure both a fabulous so have a wonderful time & beautiful start to your marriage!

Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:14 AM
daisy

I just came back from Positano though I lived in Villa Rosa that was just on the opposite street from L'Ancora.

I can't really recommend which is better but could may perhap give you some ideas on the objective facts:

Position:
They situated on different side of the town. Poseidon is on the west while L'ancora is on the east towards amalfi drive. I recalled that on the posters/postcards offered on the rack of most shops, it's usually the view looking from the side of L'ancora being pictured. To me, I like Ancora's view

Parking:
This is important if you are going to drive otherwise it has no difference to you.

I was once given a quote from Ancora costs EUR 310 that could give me a room with a jacuzzi on the terrace which I think would be fantastic if you are a kind of person like to relax with such a spectacular view.

Besides Ancora, I liked the Hotel Marincanto because of its spectacular position. It situated on about the end of the major road of Positano, so it's more exclusive.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:19 PM
Wendy

JG,

We stayed at the Poseidon in a junior suite last July. It is one of our favorite hotels anywhere. The view from our terrace looking out over the white washed stucco houses down to the beach could not have been more breathtaking. The staff treats you like a member of their family, and the food (!!)-- well, what's not to like? It was so amazing, that we're still dreaming about it and hoping to return one day when our kids are in college! Have a wonderful time!

Oct 17th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Sue

My husband and I recently stayed at L'Ancora, and I have to agree with the earlier post regarding the great location of this hotel. It is within easy walking distance from the center of town, and we found the hotel to be a good value for the money (spacious, clean, great view, and free parking).