Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help me decide.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-me-decide-362002/)

AllyPally Sep 29th, 2003 02:04 AM

Help me decide....

My father is turning 70 in January and I would like to take him to a major European city. I'm looking at Italy or Spain. He is very fit and as he was a merchant navy captain, he has seen a lot of ports but not a lot of cities!! He absolutely loved Paris - we have been twice already.

I am looking at either Venice, Florence or Rome, or Seville or Barcelona. He likes museums but I would not say he is a huge art lover (actually loves military stuff) and I would like to stick to somewhere south (so no northern euro cities).

He sees himself as a 'boulevardier' and he loves his food.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
AP

WillTravel Sep 29th, 2003 02:09 AM

Hmm - maybe Rome with a military history twist?

Kavey Sep 29th, 2003 02:39 AM

Although Barcelona does have a lot of museums I am also not big on too many of those and still loved the city.

I found it particularly accessible and easy to get around.

Food was good but not often great.

Venice I adored and, despite all the warnings that food was overpriced and not very good, was able to eat very well. Food was more expensive but also, usually, good. I also found Venice fascinating from a historical perspective - so unusual.

A pleasure to walk around... Provided he has no mobility issues (you say he is very fit) I reckon it would be a good option - lots of maritime history too.

Rome is nice but not a favourite of mine, so won't comment on that one.

Seville - too long ago for me to comment with any degree of accuracy. Enjoyed it well enough but a lot of that was the bar life.

Haven't yet been to Florence.

AllyPally Sep 29th, 2003 02:50 AM

Thanks for your long response Kavey! I have to say that Florence is at the bottom of the list for me, simply because of the artistic slant of the city. Out of the 5, I have only been to Rome. But I can think of lots of reasons to go and not to go to all of them with my father, simply because of the person he is. He is very well read so would probably be happy anywhere but it might be that Seville is too 'small' and maybe we should do the big ones like Venice or Rome first...

Kavey Sep 29th, 2003 02:53 AM

You're welcome.

I'd agree that Seville probably isn't the right choice for a trip of more than one or two days.

Where has he been before and how many nights are you considering.

PS Can you drop me an email?

Kavey Sep 29th, 2003 03:00 AM

PS If you choose Venice have him read The World of Venice by Jan Morris first. It's a fascinating book.

AllyPally Sep 29th, 2003 03:04 AM

We're looking at 3 nights roughly. So far he has been to Paris, Amsterdam and the Rhine. So, virtually no visits to anywhere else. Without sounding morbid, I want him to see a few places before anything happens. no time like the present!

Budman Sep 29th, 2003 03:36 AM

How about Munich -- lots of WWII history in the area and a great base for day trips, not to mention some of the best beer in the world. ((b))

RufusTFirefly Sep 29th, 2003 03:41 AM

Venice sounds perfect for a merchant captain. Amongst all the other sights, he might enjoy the Naval museum there.

AllyPally Sep 29th, 2003 03:46 AM

Hi Budman, thanks for that. You do love your beer, don't you! The only problem with Munich is that it is likely to be quite cold and dad is getting on a bit so wanted to take him somewhere just a teensy bit milder..

Munich is definitely on the list for me though. I had an invite to Oktoberfest this year and didn't go!!!

NYCFoodSnob Sep 29th, 2003 04:21 AM

Darling, my Dad is also in his 70's and there's no way I would ever consider taking him somewhere cold during the month of January. Venice can be downright frigid in January, with a wet breeze that will blow right through your bones. Rome and Florence can also get quite cold. I suggest you re-think your season of travel or treat your father to the Caribbean or Hawaii or even Southern Cal. I know the only way to put a smile on my Dad's face in January is by showing him a ticket to Las Vegas...which he'd have to use without me joining him.

bobthenavigator Sep 29th, 2003 04:23 AM

Barcelona and the naval museum.

Kate Sep 29th, 2003 04:42 AM

I utterly disagree with NYFoodsnob - my parents are in their late 70s and love Italy in the winter months because they don't have to cope with the crowds. They're also very fit for their age, so aren't bothered by the cold (that's what beautiful Italian coats were invented for). I doubt someone with your father's interests would be too overwhemled with the Craibbean - it sounds to me like he'd prefer something a little more absorbing. I think you're right about Florence - although it's my favourite city it IS an art lovers place.

Venice sounds like it's winning, isn't it?

Although I should say that Italy is not necessarily any warmer than London at that time of year, but you are more likely to get nice, dry bright days.

elaine Sep 29th, 2003 04:53 AM

Hi
You can't beat Rome for ancient history ( and you could daytrip or sidetrip to Pompeii as well) but for naval history, Venice wins. It was the maritime capital of the world in its time and of course water is still its outstanding feature.

If you go, there's a good book for Venice's history--"Venice: Lion City" by Garry Wills.

Venice is also an excellent place to just hang, sip coffee or a cocktail (an overpriced one, but who cares) and then go on to wander. It has art masterpieces of course, but its bestarchitecture, esp that of the 15th and 16th century, is right out there for all to see. You can see what Venetians were accomplishing while Columbus was stumbling onto America.

mclaurie Sep 29th, 2003 05:06 AM

While I adore Venice, I think Jan. can be iffy there. Aside from cold, wet weather & possible aqua alta, I think many businesses & restaurants use Jan (between New Year's & Carnivale) to close & take time off. Spain sounds like a better bet at that time.

Degas Sep 29th, 2003 05:26 AM

I'll vote for Rome.

AllyPally Sep 29th, 2003 05:38 AM

I wouldn't hesitate to take Pops anywhere cold - just not snow because obviously that's not conducive to walking around. He has permanently 'rosy' cheeks from the broken capillaries brought about by severe weather. That being said, we both live in Britain so getting away from here will probably be equal, if not an improvement, weather wise. It doesn't put us off.

Ok, looks like Rome or Venice but leaning towards Rome as McLaurie has now frightened me with the aqua alta!!

NYCFoodSnob Sep 29th, 2003 09:29 AM

I probably should have mentioned that my Dad is closer to 80 and I can't take him anywhere that requires much walking due to poor knees and hips. I envy those with fit, older parents. Dad lives in Northern Ohio on Lake Erie and has 77 years of experience with brutal winters. I think for any boater (my Dad, too), Venice is definitely the place but I still wouldn't recommend January, especially for a first time visit. I'm in Venice every year in January simply because it's empty. I love it. But you won't find me anywhere near the water. It's just too damn cold. Venice is much more alive and fun come early May when all the Venetians come outdoors to celebrate Spring. Late September is great, also, after all the tour groups have left and kids are back in school. The crowds are completely manageable during these times and the weather can't be beat, sunny during the day and sweaters at night. In fact, away from San Marco, Venice almost seems empty.

Don't let aqua alta stop you, especially if you decide to go in January. I've never had to wear those "boots" and the city is more fascinating than ever when it's under water. I'm sure your dad would be in awe.

cd Sep 29th, 2003 10:42 AM

A quote I found in an article re: Venice "Aqua alta, or high water, is a real problem, appearing more and more as years progress, particularly in the fall and winter." I think because of that, and I love Venice, I vote for Rome. I also loved Rome! So much history! You didn't ask for this but my first choice would be Istanbul. He would get to be in Europe and Asia and the weather should be very pleasant.

mclaurie Sep 29th, 2003 11:02 AM

How can you be in Venice and not be "anywhere near the water..." NYCFoodSnob?? And don't you find many shops & restaurants closed?

All I can say AllyPally, is if you go, don't stay near San Marco. Last Jan 2 our friends almost missed their plane because they couldn't get to the water taxi from their hotel (right near San Marco).