Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Help me choose from these Southern Tuscany hotels

Help me choose from these Southern Tuscany hotels

Mar 25th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Help me choose from these Southern Tuscany hotels

I'm having a hard time choosing, We're in the Montalcino/Montepulciano area for 3 nights, coming from Tenuta La Bandita in Sassetta and continuing onto Rome.

All are in close proximity to The Orcia Valley, and the last one is in Montalcino proper.

We're a family of 4 with 2 sons ages 16 and 19 going in August. We wanted to stay at Terre di Nano but they want a minimum of a week, along with a lot of the other agriturismos, so I've got it narrowed down to the following...all are 2 bedroom apartments or 2 rooms and the nightly rate is for both rooms/apartment.

If anyone has stayed at these hotels or can comment, I would appreciate it your advice or other suggestions. A pool is a must.

Castello D;Ripa Orcia - 160 Euro/night 2 bedroom apartment
http://www.castelloripadorcia.com/home_ing.php

Hotel San Simeone - 220 Euro/night 2 rooms
http://www.hotelsansimeone.com/html/hotel.htm

Hotel Dei Capitani - 230 Euro/night 2 rooms
http://www.deicapitani.it/web/index....1040374A330DC9
Mar 25th, 2009, 10:01 AM

The pool at Castello d'Ripa Orcia is located 5k from the hotel. There is a 5k dirt road that takes you to the hotel, which I would find inconvenient. Although a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location, I feel that one of the others would be a better choice, just based on the pool and getting to and from each day.

I like the location of San Simeone. The small village of Rocca d'Orcia is very small but wonderful. There are very few people exploring the village. During many of my visits it seemed as though I was the only tourist. The location is great for exploring the Val d'Orcia.

Dei Capitani is in Montalcino, so you would have quick access to everything this town has to offer- food, shopping, etc.

I would choose Hotel San Simeone.

The Val d'Orcia is fantastic and I'm sure after your 3 days you will want to return for more. Have a great trip!
Mar 25th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Have you looked here:
www.poggiolo.info

I find the Caatello at Ripa to be too remote.
Mar 25th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob, Poggiolo wants a minimum week stay.

Zoecat, I didn't realize the pool was so far from the hotel at Ripa...that's great info to have, plus I've read some reports that the management is surly.

I think I'll book San Simeone, it looks beautiful and gets high marks at Tripadvisor, and although somewhat remote, it looks very special.

Thanks for the help.
Mar 25th, 2009, 11:36 PM

I have stayed both at Il Poggiolo just outside San Quirico d'Orcia and at Hotel dei Capitani in Montalcino. Too bad Il Poggiolo wants a full week's stay because that would have been my choice. We stayed off season in November last year and we able to book three nights with no problems.

As for Hotel dei Capitani - we stayed for about a week about 2 years ago. The hotel is clean and comfortable, rooms and bathroom were of a good size. Breakfast, while more than adequate, never changed even one iota (i.e. different jam, different pastry) in the entire week we were there!! There is a very small and VERY steep parking lot at the hotel for about 4-5 cars only but we usually were able to park there. If not, you could find something down the street usually.

We chose this hotel, as opposed to others in Montalcino at the time, because of two main features : a/c and internet computer. Well, we did not need to use the a/c at all. And the computer was not working for the ENTIRE week we were there. They did not seem to care about that and we also found most of the service staff at the hotel desk quite indifferent and not particularly helpful.

If you do choose this hotel, make sure to ask for one of their very few rooms facing the valley (magnificent) and with a small balcony.

We loved Montalcino and can't wait to return.
Mar 26th, 2009, 08:19 AM

We stayed a few days at the Hotel dei Capitani in Montalcino. It was fine, and the view from our room was stunning. It was great to be able to see it at different times of the day. And it's nice to have a choice of walkable restaurants for dinner with wine after a long day sightseeing.

Have you checked into the Chiostro di Pienza? I would have liked to stay there. Pienza is a nice little town, good as a daytrip base.
Mar 26th, 2009, 09:08 AM

Nina,

I stayed at the Il Giglio in Montalcino for 3 nights and was happy with it. Good value. I had asked for a view room and the views were incredible. They will park and retrieve your car for you each day. Loved the location, as I could walk all over the small town and to restaurants. I enjoyed Grappolo Blu so much I had dinner there all 3 nights.

Buon viaggio!
Mar 26th, 2009, 09:15 AM

We have stayed at the dei Capitani in Montalcino twice. The key is to insist on a room with a view -- and what a view! The hotel is clean and comfortable, but not luxurious. Great pool, great breakfast, and great value. The internet was working when we there, but the propieters i think are a bit socially awkward. We did not find them rude or indifferent, however.

Some friends tried to stay there this summer, and like you, really wanted a pool, but the hotel was booked. they ended up making a reservation at Hotel Vecchia Oliviera, which also has a pool. Montalcino is a wonderful town to stay in.

have a great trip!
Mar 26th, 2009, 09:36 AM

Our favorite hotel in Italy:

http://www.palazzodelcapitano.com/index_eng.htm

Search this Thread