Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help Me Choose between Two Excellent Tour Guides/Private Drivers for Tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-me-choose-between-two-excellent-tour-guides-private-drivers-for-tuscany-572264/)

Flame123 Nov 21st, 2005 07:21 PM

Help Me Choose between Two Excellent Tour Guides/Private Drivers for Tuscany

I have been in touch with two different private drivers/tour guides for tours in the Tuscany area. One is Alessandro Camilli and the other is Luca Garapa from HillsandRoads. Both were chosen because of this board's (and others) excellent recommendations and high praise.

Here is my dilemma. Alessandro is MUCH cheaper than Luca. Luca, however, seems to have a "company" behind him, while Alessandro, it seems, has only an e-mail address. The problem came up because I recently read a review from someone on Slow Travel that "warns" about making sure to take a driver that is legit, has someone "behind him" in way of company, etc. And so I began to wonder.

Any comments? Any way of checking?

Many thanks.

ira Nov 22nd, 2005 04:15 AM

Hi F,

>I recently read a review from someone on Slow Travel....<

I suggest that you post your question on www.slowtalk.com as well.

They are very knowledgeable about Italy.

((I))

Flame123 Nov 22nd, 2005 04:26 AM

Thanks for the reply Ira.
I will do that as well.

Hoping though that someone here will be able to help as well.

SusanP Nov 22nd, 2005 07:23 AM

Well, Luca doesn't actually have a "company" behind him. It's just him, and he has recently taken on an associate. I had two days with Luca and one with his associate in September and thought they were worth every penny. I can't compare them to Alesandro, as I haven't used him.

Flame123 Nov 22nd, 2005 12:55 PM

Thank you SusanP for your input. I am hoping for some more from other people that may have used either one of these drivers, or both.

Thanks in advance.

Eloise Nov 22nd, 2005 01:05 PM

I have used the services of neither gentleman, so should perhaps not offer an opinion, but is Alessandro Camilli not the guide who has written a hugely successful book caricaturing the tourists he has taken around Tuscany?

coco Nov 22nd, 2005 01:10 PM

Eloise:

Perhaps you are thinking of Dario Castagno and his book Too Much Tuscan Sun?

Flame123 Nov 22nd, 2005 01:11 PM

Eloise,

I have not heard about this book at all until now. Do you have more information about it?

Eloise Nov 22nd, 2005 01:11 PM

So sorry: I just checked amazon.com (should have done it first...) and the guide I am thinking of is Dario Castagno.

My apologies to Alessandro Camilli.

Flame123 Nov 22nd, 2005 01:12 PM

Thanks for the clarifications. Whew.....

Anyone else who can give me some guidance or opinions?

ginder Nov 22nd, 2005 02:14 PM

Hi Flame123
I just read Dario's book "too much tuscan sun". I requested it from the library. I did not read it thoroughly as I was disappointed with contents. I was hoping for info. on what to expect in italy, etc. The impression I had was it is a book on showing how ridiculous tourists can be.