Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me choose between two Amalfi coast hotels

Old Jan 8th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

After tons of great suggestions from people on these message boards, I think I've narrowed my selection down to the following, and looking for opinions
Both look like very nice and are in my budget of 100 euros per night per room in May, and have a sea view which I wanted also
1) - Le Sirene in Praiano. Pros - small town, off the beaten path, easy access to Walk of the Gods, which we definitely want to do..Breakfast terrace looks like the perfect place to start a day. In the town. Cons - is the town too small? More difficult to access other towns??

2) Bellevue Amalfi. Pros - More central location, several Fodorites have recommended staying in Amalfi. Offers a package deal to include transfer from airport and a trip to Pompeii and Vesuvius. Cons - not actually in town - short walk to town cener

Does anybody know the value of the Pompeii / Vesuvius trip - it is a bus trip that picks up right at the hotel and takes you to both Pompeii and Vesuvis - about an 8 hour trip in total. I'm sure I could book these "extras" separately if we choose the Praiano hotel, but not sure what the Pompeii trip would cost to book.

thanks - once I've finally picked a hotel, I'll be looking for restaurant suggestions too!
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 08:25 AM

Amalfi is terrific.
Ravello is terrific.
Positano is terrfic.
Sorrento is terrific, but not as much.

Why stay at one end--why not in the middle?
Whatever, stay in town. There are 5 places to eat within 5 minutes of Le Sirene. And, an internet cafe and ATM.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 08:33 AM

Amalfi is better located for transportation, as it is both a ferry and bus terminus. Amalfi is also larger so there is more to keep you busy than Praiano. There is a better choice of restaurants, for example.

Le Sirene does appear to offer an excellent price for sea view rooms. If price were the only factor, I think that hotel has the edge.

Have you checked both the hotel websites and the third-party booking engines like Venere?

Written to the hotels to inquire about discounts for paying cash?

I will certainly help you with restaurants once you are set. I have lots of info on dining in my trip report from a couple of years ago.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

I'm thinking now of Le Sirene after reading some mixed reviews on the Hotel Bellevue - on a main road, further from town than they lead you to believe, no food/drink in the rooms... (what, i can't buy a bottle of wine and drink a glass in my room??!!) I do like the fact that the Bellevue had the package deal available but not sure if it's a particulary good value given that I don't know the value of the Pompeii/Vesuvius trip.
I've been in touch directly with both of the hotels.
Bob - are your recommending Le Sirene?
I hope to hear back from you Bob adn Ekscrunchy today as I really would like to decide and get something booked, although I assume in May availability shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Looks like the trip to Pompeii is about 50 euros per person. Le Sirene is quoting 90 euros per night x 4 = 360. Airport transfer 100 euros each way, so a total of 660 euros vs. the "package" deal from Bellevue for 560...Maybe I haven't narrowed it down to two hotels after all!! So many choices...
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 10:36 AM

I am leaving today on a week-long trip so might not be able to check back for a week or so...I am not sure if you will be alone or not, but if you are, my opinion is that Praiano might be a bit quiet....but I've not stayed there, so.....why not keep looking in Amalfi--see if you can snag a good deal by writing to each hotel that looks like a possibility.. Do not worry about booking for May...I will be in southern Italy myself that month and have not yet firmed up most of my nights...
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 10:50 AM

Do you want to go to Mt. Vesuvius? That's a long day and a lot to pay if you only want to see Pompeii. (But I'm blase about volcanos, living near Mt. St. Helens and having been to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.) You could get to Pompeii on your own.

Can you get the exact address of the Bellevue and look up the distance on a map? Always a good idea, since hoteliers often exaggerate the convenience of their establishment.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thnask everyone. I actually think it woudl be interesting to see Mt. Vesuvius... I guess I will keep looking in Amalfi, and keep the hotel in Praiano in mind still. Bob - any other input?? I believe you were more pro-Praiano?
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 02:46 PM

gillybrit,

I stayed at Le Sirene on my last trip and I really liked it. Lovely, quiet, good breakfasts, wonderful owners. They even kindly allowed me to get cash back from using my cc when my ATM card would not work in the area due to "network" issues.
I had a second floor room with a small terrace and ocean views (although there are lots of trees to see through directly west, you can see Positano looking north).

For me Praiano is perfect and I've stayed there twice. I don't care for Positano as it is way too toursity and resorty for my taste. Lots of expensive clothing, art, jewelry shops, and I'm not into shopping.

I like Praiano because it is very small and quiet, but with some good restaurants. I love Il Brace, a wonderful family run place, although the owners are getting older now and may have turned it over to the younger generation by now.

Positano and Amalfi are better for trans as they have both bus and boat options. Praiano only has bus service.

Hope this helps. Buon viaggio!
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle I think we may choose le Sirene, but still open to other suggestions.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 05:49 PM

I stayed at Le Sirene 3 years ago. I loved the hotel, the owners were very helpful and gracious, the views from the private terraces that each room has can not be beat. Just spectacular.
Very lovely breakfasts were served. The restaurant Il BRACE that Dayle mentioned is fabulous
The town is very samll and charming but centrally located, easy to reach other towns by the bus that stops right by the hotel.
The only negative to the hotel was the amount of steps to get to it. Going down not a problem, however the climb up was tough.
Even with the steps, I would stay there again.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Sounds like le sirene is still top of my list.