Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me choose between these hotels in Paris

Jul 6th, 2000, 02:34 PM
Jon

Ok, my fiancee and I are taking our honeymoon in Paris for 2 weeks at the end of November.
I've never been to Paris (or Europe), and I have narrowed down our choice of hotel to 3 that are in the Latin Quarter and fall within our budget. The choices are:

Hotel Louis II -- most expensive, but my favorite so far

Hotel Bersoly's -- only a couple of francs cheaper than Louis II

Hotel Grandes Ecoles -- Possibly 100 francs cheaper, they won't tell me because it is still to early for them to take reservations for November (??)

All of these choices have been based completely on Internet sites (esp. this forum, which is a life-saver). I'm a little worried because I'd prefer to have more to go on than a photo on a Internet site before I comit to stay in a room for 13 days (and, yes, we're definately staying in the same hotel the entire time).

Can anyone help me make my choice? Any positive/negative experiences at any of those hotels?

Thanks,
Jon

Jul 6th, 2000, 02:43 PM
igpr

If you are staying in the same place
for 13 day, then I think you are better
off renting an apartment in Paris.
No matter how good the hotel room is,
you will get very bored in it if you
stay at the same hotel. But with an
apartment, you won't feel that way.

Jul 6th, 2000, 03:38 PM
elaine

As you probably already know, Bersoly
and Grandes Ecoles have been often praised on this forum. For previous comments from past guests, search on those here, and/or look for comments at
www.paris.org or www.hotelboulevard.com

An apartment would be cost-effective, and in some cases you can get some form of maid service, at least occasionally.
Perhaps an apartment in one neighborhood for a while, and the remainder in a nicer hotel in another area (even outside of Paris), just for variation?

I love Paris very much, but I would consider spending a few days in another location, just for a change, and to see a little more of France.

Jul 7th, 2000, 08:50 AM
Lori

I won't comment on these hotels as I have not stayed in them except I will say that if you are staying in one place for 13 days check on the size of the room. Honeymoon or not, if the room is microscopic (and many in Paris are) you will go nuts! E-mail them and ask for the dimensions of an average room, not a suite .. that will give you some idea of what you are getting into to. I was considering Bersolys based on this Forum and they e-mailed me back that their average rooms were about 10x10. That may be OK for a night or two, but it's kind of cramped for 13! Some rooms there may be larger of course, but I always ask about the "average" size. Remember also that even if you ask at the desk for a larger room they may not have any available so you cannot count on that tactic either. Also frequently small hotels do not have regular closets (in the wall) like we are used to at home so that extra piece of furniture can take up precious room too! We've stayed in a number of hotels in Paris so I am pretty aware of size of rooms .. it's a comfort factor if you are staying more then a couple of days.

With 13 days (and I think it's fine to stay in Paris that long, there is a lot to do in this city) you can also take day trips without feeling so rushed like most tourists do. Having a little extra time can make a trip much more memorable and enjoyable, and if it's a long day trip you have the luxury of sleeping in the next day or something that the average visitor doesn't have because their time is so limited. Go for It!!

Jul 7th, 2000, 09:22 AM
Christina

Just a contrary thought to the apt. idea. Many vacation rental apts are not nearly as nice as equivalently priced hotels and believe me, you can get very, very bored and uncomfortable with an apartment if you don't like it. More than bored as the cheaper ones will not have nearly as nice rooms, bathrooms, etc as the hotels in your price range. Also, you must pay up front way ahead of time and if you don't like it, you are completely out your money. In any case, I wouldn't recommend you go the apt. route as it is much, much more of a crap shoot as to what you will get and whether you'll like it and there is not much available at all in your price range for rental apts. It would not likely be cost effective at all, either, as ST rental apts are very expensive, I've rented one and done extensive research into what's available and mine was okay (a small studio for $100 a day in an out-of-the way residential quartier), but it was not as nice as the hotel room I usually stay in for that same price, and not much larger either. You can get a nicer hotel room for $100 a day than a vacation apt in Paris. If you haven't seen it, you might want to look at Cheap Sleeps in Paris guidebook for its comments on Bersoly's, they weren't particularly effusive.

Jul 9th, 2000, 04:17 PM
Richard

Hotel Grand Ecoles is a jewel. It is at the top of the rue Mouftard a wonderful street in the 5th Arrondisment (Sp? ). It is so quiet we could have slept all day, very few hotels have that feature. It is within easy walking distance of everything you will want to see in your 10 days in Paris. Do not reserve a room upstairs in the right of the entrance as those rooms are very small. A few extra bucks is well worth it.We spent a month in Paris two years ago and it is not nearly enough but you are young so plan to go back. Richard