Reload this Page >

Help!! Madrid - Cordoba - Seville on the AVE

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Rachel

I would like to take the high speed AVE train in Spain from Madrid to Sevilla. I understand that it gets there by way of Cordoba. Does it actually stop in Cordoba? Can I leave in the morning from Madrid, get to Cordoba and spend the day there, and continue on to Sevilla in the evening? Does that plan make any sense. And if I were to do this, what would be the travel time for each leg? <BR> <BR>Or could I take the AVE from Madrid to Cordoba, spend one day and one night in Cordoba, and continue on with the AVE to Sevilla? How long are each of these legs and does it get much more expensive to do this? <BR> <BR>I have researched but have not been able to find an answer to this question. In case it is not clear, I am definitely planning to see Madrid and Sevilla. If feasible, I want to spend some time in Cordoba but am not sure it would be worthwhile just for a day. Any input is appreciated.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 06:15 PM
Tony

There are AVE trains from Madrid to Seville about once per hour, and all except 2 trains stop at Cordoba (the 0800 and 1630). Usually Cordoba is the only stop. <BR>Seat reservations are compulsory on all AVE trains, so you would need to plan your stopover and the trains you wish to use in advance. It is quite feasible to catch an early train to Cordoba, stopover for a few hours, and continue to Seville later the same day, if you wish. I am not entirely certain, but it may be slightly more expensive to break your journey, but not seriously so. <BR>Travel time from Madrid to Cordoba is 1hr.40 mins. and from Cordoba to Seville 40 mins, a total of 2hrs.20 mins. not bad for 500 kms!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 12:59 AM
Susan

I have the EXACT same question! Since it's doable, do you advise doing this this way to see the Mezquita, etc and taking the extra night in Sevilla? <BR> <BR>Are there also places to store your luggage? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Susan

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 05:43 AM
Julie

We went from Sevilla to Cordoba and after a day or two on to Madrid on the AVE. The train was terrific. I'd certainly advise staying overnight in Cordoba. it's a wonderful city and the Mosque/church is truly unique and special. The area around it is also fun. Worth staying a day or even two if you have the time.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 07:18 AM
bb

I took the early train stopped for 6-7 hours in Cordoba (more than enough time to see ths sites, I assure you. Actually I wished I had gotten a reservation on an earlier train continuing onto Sevilla) and hopped back on the AVE to Sevilla. There were plenty of easy to use storage lockers for your luggage. I made the reservations in Madrid the day before. So either way would work...it depends if you want to stay over in Cordoba!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 02:19 PM
Maribel

Rachel, <BR>We did a stopover in Cordoba when taking the AVE last summer from Seville to Madrid. Because we had spent several nights in Cordoba on other trips, we skipped the overnight to have an extra 4th night in Seville, where we never seem to have enough time! We alloted 5 hrs. for our visit, which was more than enough time for a stroll through the Juderia (Old Jewish Quarter), a visit to the Mezquita, the Alcazar gardens and the synagogue, to take the quintessential Cordoba photo of the Mezquita from the top of the geranium festooned Calleja de las Flores (be sure to find it!) and a leisurely lunch in the heart of the Juderia at the lovely Taberna Casa Pepe (their homemade olive oil and Montilla wine ice cream is surprisingly delicious!-a great, friendly place for just tapas in the tranquil patio or full meal of creative food, and it's always packed with locals). <BR> <BR>The luggage lockers at the Cordoba Renfe station are located right at the top of the escalator that takes you from the AVE platform into the main terminal on your right-you can't miss them. They cost 400 pts., I believe, per locker and were quite deep, so we only needed one per person, but they required exact change. We took a taxi from the station (550 pts) to the Plaza Maimonides, which was an under 10 min hop, in front of the NH Amistad Hotel (a very comfortable place for an overnight) and began our walking tour from there (in 100 degree heat, July 1!). After lunch we walked the short distance to the taxi stand on Paseo de la Victoria to taxi back to the Renfe station. <BR>If I were doing this on a Madrid-Sevilla run, I'd take the 8:30 AVE that arrives in Cordoba at 10:09, and I'd depart Cordoba on either the 3:41 or the 4:42 p.m. to Seville. We always buy tourist class, rather than first class tickets-it's perfectly comfortable, and the only substantial difference between "turista" and "preferente" is the meal, which we can easily skip on such a short run, plus access to the Club AVE departure lounge. You do need to buy two separate tickets, though. For "turista", it's 7,400 pts. Madrid-Cordoba and 2,800 Cordoba-Seville. <BR>Hope this helps you to decide. <BR> <BR>P.S. Our friends enjoyed an overnight last Oct. at the very inexpensive Albucasis in a quiet spot in the Juderia.