Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   HELP: Luxury hotels for Rome and Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-luxury-hotels-for-rome-and-venice-877489/)

Ajolder Feb 11th, 2011 05:55 AM

HELP: Luxury hotels for Rome and Venice

Will be visiting both cities for first time in mid April with my wife. Probably 3-4 nights in Rome and 2 in Venice. Appreciate recommendations for first class hotels. Willing to pay 300+Euros with knowledge that rooms will be quiet, large and well appointed. Proximity to major sites would be benefit. Hoping you can give me some ideas to jump start my search. Thanks

ellenem Feb 11th, 2011 06:09 AM

300+Euros is a mid-range price for a hotel in Venice and Rome, which are not necessarily luxurious. What is the most you are willing to pay and what "luxuries" do you require?

kfusto Feb 11th, 2011 06:12 AM

Rome: Grand Hotel delle Minerve is my favorite luxury hotel and in your price range. I also very much enjoy Sofitel Roma and they offer rooms with private terrace which are very nice. The Minerve is an oasis in the thick of the action, with Sofitel located in a more quiet location. The Westin Excelsior is also lovely and on the Via Veneto which some do not consider as convenient but I personally like it very much.

In Venice I have stayed at the Danieli and it was ok but I was not wowed. I preferred the Hotel Monaco and Grand Canal overall and would stay there again if budget permitted.

DRJ Feb 11th, 2011 07:08 AM

Look at the Hotel Russie in Rome, but I don't think you will get it for 300E.

ekc Feb 11th, 2011 07:50 AM

We stayed at the Portrait Suites Hotel on Via Bocca di Leone in Rome in 2009 and loved it. Small boutique hotel with gorgeous rooms - very quiet and near the Spanish Steps. Wonderful rooftop terrace. We will be staying there again this year.

Last year in Venice we stayed at the Bauer and it was very nice and a good location but we will try something new this year - likely Palazzina Grassi, which is more modern, based on the recommendation of some friends of ours.

Josh_MacDonald Feb 11th, 2011 08:16 AM

I haven't stayed there yet, just finalized honeymoon plans. We are going to be staying at The Hotel Eden in Rome and then The Westin Europa & Regina while in Venice

Ajolder Feb 11th, 2011 08:19 AM

Sorry ellenem allow me op elaborate on preferences... would prefer king bed in a large room. As indicated quiet room a must. Ideally decent sized bath with room to spread out. Hotel should have at least one bar and decent breakfast. I indicated 300+ letting you know I am not expecting the palace on 150 Euros. The plus is key. Once I get short list of suitable hotels I will do appropriate research to select room we will stay at, whether it is 305 Euros or 500 Euros. Thanks for your help.

Ajolder Feb 11th, 2011 08:21 AM

Thanks Josh, can I ask why you selected those two hotels?

ellenem Feb 11th, 2011 08:33 AM

Ajolder, Thanks for the details. It will help us make more specific suggestions that will meet your needs.

bardo1 Feb 11th, 2011 08:53 AM

Take at look at what I consider to be the best located luxury hotel in Rome - the Hotel St. George.

http://www.stgeorgehotel.it/

Josh_MacDonald Feb 11th, 2011 09:22 AM

well, we are SPG Plat. members, so we wanted to stay at a starwood property while in Europe, because we usually get upgraded. We also wanted to do our honeymoon the best we could. We were hesitant to stay at the Hotel Eden because of the price, but after researching hotels in Rome, I got frustrated and said to my fiancee, look we get one chance at this, the hotel looks beautiful, it's in a great location, and we'll get upgraded to a nice room. The hotel in Venice was done on points, it is close to what we want to do, rooms look amazing. But the real reason is this post on flyertalk forums : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13166727-post122.html I saw he views from room #453, and we booked the hotel, and then emailed the GM with some help from a moderator from that site. We might get the room we want, or something similar, but it just looks fantastic. One tip for choosing a hotel in Rome, don't let it get to you, the area we are in is pretty central, so if we did need to run back to the room it isn't far from much.

ekscrunchy Feb 11th, 2011 09:53 AM

Josh: Just a word, if you are not certain about a hotel in Rome. The Eden is not in what I would consider prime location for sightseeing in Rome. Location in Via Veneto area is not at all bad, but you will have a walk to most of the sights in the historic center...

Sandramiani Feb 11th, 2011 10:32 AM

For tranquility, check out the Cavalieri Hilton, the views are stunning - my very favorite

bobthenavigator Feb 11th, 2011 10:34 AM

The Minerva in Rome.
The Westin Europa Regina in Venice

Location, location!

justbronwyn Feb 11th, 2011 10:38 AM

I would stay at Hotel Raphael near Piazza Navona if I had the same budget. Very charming with lovely rooftop bar.
http://www.raphaelhotel.com/welcome-...el-in-rome.htm

tejana Feb 11th, 2011 10:45 AM

In Venice, the Metropole is classic old-school, and the rooms overlooking the lagoon are amazing. Plus there is nothing like taking a water taxi straight to your hotel's private dock to make you feel special, at least for a day or two.

MFNYC Feb 11th, 2011 11:31 AM

I agree with ekscrunchy re: the location of Hotel Eden, as I also agree with the others that recommend the Navona location in Rome. Near Pantheon and Fiori are also very good (and very near Navona). The hotels Bob recommends are in excellent locations. I haven't stayed at either, but stayed at hotels very close to each.

ekscrunchy Feb 11th, 2011 11:31 AM

Absolutely the Minerva or the Raphael over the Hotel Eden. Location cannot compare and both hotels are nicer than the Eden, I think.

Josh_MacDonald Feb 11th, 2011 11:34 AM

The hotel I guess was central enough for us, our other choice was a hotel in Termini...

Trisha1 Feb 11th, 2011 11:44 AM

The Minerve in Rome is in a priceless location. Make certain you request breakfast as part of price as it is quite expensive if priced separately. A room on the front goes for about 600 euros a night.