Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP! Los Angeles to Venice, Italy JET LAG ADVICE NEEDED...

Old Aug 6th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

This will officially be the longest flight that I've ever taken. Leaving LAX at around 3:30pm and arriving at Venice the following day (around 2pm), with a brief stop in Paris's airport.

Any JET LAG advice?

P.S. Has anyone here ever taken "NO JET LAG", and did it help you sleep? Did you continue to take it the first few days after arrival?

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You're lucky to have a such a direct flight. When you arrive, take a shower,do not take a nap, stay awake, go for a walk and adjust to Italian dining time and bedtime. You'll be a little "jet lagged" but should be fine the next day. We deal with this often and usually also need to travel by car a distance when we arrive in Europe. I never sleep on the plane nor have I tried "no jet lag." For longer fights( Asia, S. America) I've used ambien which gives me a few hurs of sleep. Enjoy your time in Venice.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Happy! If I don't sleep on the plane, I will be a MESS when I arrive.

Anyone else use "NO JET LAG"? Does it work the same as melatonin?
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM

"NO JET LAG" is a homeopathic product - and homeopathic products have been shown to work no better than a placebo which makes sense as there is essentially nothing in them.

Melatonin seems to help some people adjust to new time zones. It doesn't work for me and you should test out whatever you choose to use before your trip so you don't experience some adverse effects at the outset of your holiday. Some herbs are touted for relaxing qualities: chamomile, hops, valerian, etc.

You'll get the whole range of opinions here regarding jet lag and how to avoid it. I made a list recently of suggestions from Fodorites on how to deal with jet lag on another thread - and this was just after 14 responses:
Regarding Flights:
1) Only take the OVERNIGHT flight.

2) Only take a DAYTIME flight.

Regarding Naps:
1) Absolutely DO NOT take a nap.

2) ALWAYS take a 1 hour nap upon arrival.

3) Take a 2 to 3 hour nap but DO NOT enter REM sleep (good luck with that...).

4) Sleep all day, get up and get drunk, go back to sleep.

Regarding Activities:
1) Walk and get lots of fresh air.

2) Sit, eat, and drink wine.

3) Stroll, eat, and drink wine.

4) Revisit sites/attractions you've seen before.

5) Plan something new and interesting but low stress.

I don't really get jet lag when traveling to Europe although I might feel a little tired and these things work for me:
- I take nighttime flights to arrive as early as possible.
- A little red wine can help me sleep on the flight.
- I don't nap on arrival but do shower or freshen up and then get out and walk around outside as much as possible.
- B12 can help perk you up on arrival.
- I don't eat really heavy meals the first day.
- I'm excited to be there so it helps me keep going.

Unfortunately you won't know what works for you until you try some methods out.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

G_Hopper:

Yep, drinking any alcohol for me on a flight is TOTAL DISASTER. I'm already terribly dehydrated on a plane, so wine would put me over the edge!

I may have to resort to drastic measures: like AMBIEN. I usually avoid prescription medication like the plague... but I consider a long flight like this an emergency situation.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 12:40 PM

Getting some sleep on the plane is important if you want to lessen the effects of jet lag.

1.I have used Benadryl to help me sleep on the plane. I think next time I will try melatonin, as I've seen it recommended on this board.
2. Use earplugs
3. Use an eyemask
4. Use a U-shaped pillow for around your neck. Mine is inflatable, so it doesn't take up much room in my luggage when I'm not using it. I recommend getting one with a soft surface--like suede.

Even with all the above sleep aids, I never get much sleep--usually just enough to keep me going during the first day without a nap. I generally go to bed early on the first day--maybe 7:00 p.m. For a few days afterward I do find myself sleepy at odd times and wide awake at equally odd times.

I live in Spokane, Washington, and there's no such thing as a direct flight to Europe for me. I'm usually enroute for at least 24 hours, and there's a nine hour time difference from the West Coast to much of Europe, as I'm sure you know. So in addition to missing much of a night's sleep, one's mental clock is askew.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 12:55 PM

As stated above, everyone has a different thought on what works best to avoid jet lag. I try to get as much sleep on the plane as possible since it helps me get through the next day. I cut an Ambien in half, and that does the trick to help me fall asleep. I can ususally sleep about 4 to 5 hours (Chicago to Rome) on the plane. Once I arrive, I take a shower, get outside and walk, and drink plenty of water. The fresh air coupled with the excitement of being in Italy help me make it through the first day. I stay up until at least 9:00 p.m. the first night. After that, I'm usually fine.

What I find much more difficult - is the trip back to the U.S. It usually takes me a long time to re-adjust to my own time zone.

Good luck - and let us know what works for you!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 01:05 PM

Just being in Venice should "pep you up" that first day.!
If you worry about not sleeping on the plane, then you WON'T sleep. DOZING is better than nothing,, and does help....
Benedryl is probably the most harmless for a good sleep,,,)Some will say it (might) dry you out,,, but that's better than other things that might leave you a zombie.
Get as comfortable as possible, use a neck pillow, music with earplugs perhaps,.....and it 's important to get up and walk every couple of hours (for circulation). (so there goes the theory of sleeping straight through ) I personally try to do that walking, so am satisfied with dozing, and reading some.
Cute list above,,, of ALL the various things one "might" try.
We tried napping when arriving at the hotel one time...disaster! Felt bad the whole evening. People say to walk that day,,,,sunshine if possible.....eat early,and to bed early.
Some have tried the idea of setting your inner time a few days before leaving home....I'm not sure, but think it is "to bed an hour earlier each day ,, or something like that".
Well,,,,there are lots of ideas,, and it's a personal thing about jet lag. Some suffer worse going East, some worse coming home.,,,,people are different.
Just have a fun trip!!!!!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Based on my experience (also flying from Spokane)-

What works-

I try to walk outdoors as much as possible upon arrival, eat light, and go to bed no earlier than 9:00. Fresh air, exercise and sunlight make a big difference for me.

No naps, especially the first few days. This has proven to be my downfall. If I nap, I cannot adjust for 5-7 days. I am a mess.

No alcohol on the flight (okay, maybe one glass of bubbly to celebrate).

I am a runner and feel that running the morning after my first night helps a lot. In fact, when I do this I never get jetlag.

What doesn't work-

Alcohol on the flight (except the one glass of bubbly).

Taking a nap upon arrival and within the first 5 days of arrival (I usually do not nap at all when on vacation, except if I get sick).

Being indoors too much on arrival day and the 1-2 days after.

It usually takes me a few days to adjust completely. The first day I awake at 2:00am (I always have a good book). The second 3:00am. The third day 4:00am or 5:00am. Even though I get up so early, I still seem to function okay during the day. I make sure I resist the tempation to take a nap. Around and after the 4th day I still get up before 6:00, but I think it is because I am so happy and excited to be where I am and I can't wait to get the day going.

I usually sleep just 1-3 hours on the flight. I can't seem to manage any more than that and don't want to try taking anything to help me sleep. I am afraid of lingering effects when changing planes and upon arrival. It is a good idea to test ahead of time whatever you plan to take to see how you react.

With regard to Melatonin- make sure you start taking it about a week or more prior to your trip. It takes time for your body to absorb.

Good luck!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 01:15 PM

My advice: try any sleep aid you want for the plane beforehand so you know how it affects you.
no jet lag is not intended to help you sleep but for your body adjust. I know people who swear by it. I find noise cancelling headphones to be a great help for sleeping on the plane.
I like to eat lightly for a few days before the trip and for a day or two after arriving.
But jet lag is temporary in any case, so don't fret too much!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 01:49 PM

Last time we went to Germany I went to bed early for the two weeks before we left. I slept on the plane so that when we arrived I was mostly rested. We got to our hotel around lunch time and spent the day like any other, lunch, site seeing, dinner, more walking around, we went to bed that day around 9 pm. The rest of the days we were all fine.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 03:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Everyone has their own ways of dealing with jet lag. No "no jet lag" will not help you sleep. It's not that type of medication.

I always schedule the first few days in Europe with no plans and just eat and sleep when I feel like it, until I get adjusted. I DO take a nap the first few days in the afternoon.

I take prescription medication for the flight (xanax) but I never actually sleep. I simply can't sleep on a plane, unfortuantely.

Upon arrival I just take it easy, get a LOT of fresh air and walking type exercise, drink lots of white wine, and go with the flow. I would never schedule any tours or formal planned activities on the first couple days myself.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 03:50 PM

We went from San Diego to Paris; did some of what others have suggested and it worked great for our family of four.

For two weeks before the trip, went to bed earlier and got up earlier.

"Dozed" on plane as best we could - no alcohol or drugs.

Got out and about as soon as was settled - walked and walked, had dinner at normal time and stayed up till 9 p.m.

First few days woke up in the EARLY morning, each day a bit later. But then were completely fine. Even with waking up early, we were not tired during the day.

Completely agree with Bab706 - coming home was MUCH worse - it took all of us probably two weeks to get back to normal and not feel like zombies.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 04:08 PM

I take Ambien for an overnight flight and it's never the greatest sleep on a plane. I do stay up the next day in Europe and I do just fine....I get a little tired late in the afternoon but I don't nap then. Wait to go to bed on Europe's time. Benadryl is very drying and the plane is so dry anyway. I would stick to the lower dose of Ambien is you are uncomfortable taking it, if the lower dose will put you to sleep (5 mg vs 10mg) and I take regular Ambien, not Ambien CR....the second release may make you more groggy upon waking since it's effects may not have worn off. I also struggle with getting back on a sleep schedule once home from Europe.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 04:37 PM

IMHO the best way to sleep on the plane is to take dramimine (I have to for motion sickness) and never have any problem sleeping at all.

Once you arrive get as much sunlight as you can to help adjust your body clock. I always shower, stretch on the bed for 30 minutes (not a nap - just depretzelize my back) then go for a walk. Stay up through dinner (even if an early one) and it will be easier to adjust to local time.

I definitely will not take Ambien for any reason - there have ben way to many reports of people doing all sorts of things - including driving, cooking etc - while still asleep. And, it's definitely habit-forming.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for sharing your secrets!

Here's what I usually bring to help me sleep (to varying degrees of success):

1) "Plane Quiet" Noise Cancellation Headphones - not as fancy as the BOSE ones, but they do a pretty good job of cutting engine noise;

2) Neck Pillow - I'm still uncomfortable while using this, but it's better than nothing;

3) Eye Mask - a MUST;

4) Grapefruit Seed Nose Spray - seems to help with some of the plane dryness and germs

5) LARGE bottle of water - a MUST;

6) Bottle of Melatonin - doesn't always work, though (ZOECAT: Thanks for letting me know that it may take several days for the body to get used to Melatonin. I didn't know that.)

7) personal air purifier - I'm a little worried about this one. I DO seem to notice an improvement when I have my air purifier... BUT I've noticed more and more airlines not allowing this on the plane??!! Now, that's just silly! Plane air is notoriously awful.

DENISEA: Yes, Ambien (just one capsule) gave me the best rest I've EVER had on a plane. And I really appreciated not being exhausted when I arrived in Paris!

PEGONTHEROAD: IF my doctor refuses to write me an emergency prescription for Ambien, my backup plan is to use the BENADRYL and just make sure I drink A LOT of water. Thanks!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

NYTRAVELER: Cooking while still asleep??!! I know you didn't mean that to be funny, but for some reason I couldn't stop laughing when I read that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 04:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well you already have 7 more things you do than I bother with!

Your doctor should be wiling to give you a script for a few Ambien. If not try for Valium or Xanax (which are technically 'anti-anxiety' drugs so don't knock you out as complete as Ambien which is a sleeping pill).
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, suze!

I'm pretty "delicate" on planes you could say.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 12:42 PM

Yes, benadryl"can" be drying for some (half a pill might be all you need).....but there's nothing wrong with drying. In fact it makes sense to not give the nasty viruses and bacteria that are recycled though the cabin air ~~a moist place to BREED!

AND be sure and keep hydrated!!!,
AND try any stronger medicine first at home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -