Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

any suggestions for a private guide and driver in Poland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in prague and poland in May and would like a private driver from krakow, warsaw or any big city to take us to yarnov a small town near bialystock . Any suggestions? Also is it difficult to cross the border into the ukraine to visit turka near lviv?
Thanks for any help in seeing where our grandparents came from.
PamL
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

We need a guide and driver.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't be fearful of driving yourself; we did 3 years ago (Bardejov, Slovak Rep to Tarnov PO then to Krakow then to Auschwitz then to Olomouc Czech Rep). The driving wasn't at all bad, nor was the finding of accomodations.
Of course, if you'd prefer a guide/driver, so be it.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 06:14 PM

A few years ago I needed a translator to assist me in a project in Westeren Poland and I had a tough time. I went to the Polish section of town and went from travel agent to travel agent trying to securing one, which did not happen.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 06:35 PM

In researching Poland for a future trip, I came across the Stay Poland website which offers alot of helpful information and services.

Their website shows a car/limo service with driver that you may want to contact them about.

http://www.staypoland.com/carrent/limousine-service.htm

They do show Bialystock as one of the cities they service, so it may be worth checking into.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM

from Warsaw you have direct trains to Bialystok almost every hour - trip by train is about 2.5 hours ... driver with current gas prices will be expensive ... better / cheaper / and probably quicker option is to take train to Bialystok then just a taxi ... Problem is that "yarnov" is definitly not Polish spelling - SO you may want to get correct spelling for that town or be able to locate that town / village on map ... Same be with Lviv ... again may want to verify exact spelling of "turka" ... In Ukraine agree on price with taxi driver first since many may not have meters ... In Bialystok Taxi should be no problem and with working meters ... Lviv

From Krakow to Lvov you can again get by direct train 1 overnight reaching Lvov early morning ... other day time - but arriving late night at Lvov ... recommanded overnight sleeper car train ... ( so you arrive rested (saving on hotel) with full ahead of you ...

Crossing by public transportation of plane to Ukraine is no issues ... BUT car rental company may not allow their cars rented outside of Ukraine into Ukraine ...

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 02:43 AM

Hi, I would suggest to contact very helpul & professional guides from www.poland-diretc-guides.com My friends traveled with them last year across the Czech Republic and Poland- (everything was perfect- exept the weather, they say so we will hire them this June for ourselves. And they have very good prices as well.

have a good time in Central Europe.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 04:59 AM

It is my understanding in Poland that there are guides and there are drivers. And they sometimes are not the same.

We were in Krakow and wanted a guide to take us to two towns and actually guide us around. We wanted someone to give us information about what we were seeing not just to drive us there.

We contacted Andrzej Durman to take us to the hotel in Krakow upon arrival. Andrew will drive you to towns and wait for you there. Speaks excellent English and friendly.

If you want an official guide to take you and also to actually accompany you, as we did to Wadowice, who will also give you history and background you must hire an official guide like Marta.

We contacted Marta Chmielwaska, [email protected] for an extensive tour of Krakow. She will also drive you.

Either one of these people were very good dependding on your needs.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 08:42 AM

The OP's trip was last year.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 10:31 AM

Geez. why do people top these posts. Probably an advertisement.