Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help! Leaving Thurs, have 2 days! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-leaving-thurs-have-2-days-471080/)

bbjj109 Aug 30th, 2004 06:02 PM

Help! Leaving Thurs, have 2 days!

I'm leaving for a business trip to Lausanne in 3 days, so I don't have my normal 3 months of detailed planning time. I will have 2 free days. I will have a car, but I'm staying at Hotel Victoria near the train station. Any experience at this hotel?
Here's what I think I should do:
Day 1:
Boat trip to lake towns: Montreaux, Vevey. Visit the Vevey market (still going on since this weekend will be September?), a visit to Chillon and maybe a the train from Montreux up to Rochers de Naye.
Day 2:
Drive to Montreux-Aigle-Gstaad-Zweisimmen-Spiez-Breinz-Luzern and return, stopping along the way all day. Is this too much for one day? Is there a good way to return that wouldn't duplicate the outbound trip?

Need quick help, appreciate all you can offer.

Patrick Aug 30th, 2004 06:15 PM

If boating, go across to Yvoire, France. Go for the food if for no other reason. Swiss food really will never begin to compare with French.

rex Aug 30th, 2004 06:41 PM

<<Swiss food really will never begin to compare with French>>

While I would typically agree with this - - one (relatively) nearby exception would be Domaine du Chateauvieux - - about 15-20 miles outside Geneva (northwest, I think) in Satigny. I'm not saying it's necessarily a must-go, coming all the way from Lausanne, but it is outstanding.

Best wishes,

Rex

suze Aug 30th, 2004 08:23 PM

The Saturday morning Vevey market goes on year-round, a vital and active local happening in the town square. The Marche Folklorique when wine is served at the market, live music, etc., runs only 10 July thru 28 August.

suze Aug 30th, 2004 08:36 PM

Simplify, it's only 2 free days... one lake boat trip, Rochers de Naye and Chateau de Chillon from Montreux, the Vevey morning market if you have a Saturday or a Tues AM, (Montreux has a small one with the same vendors on Friday mornings), and maybe use your car to go to Gruyere, as in cheese and castle. I won't try to talk you out of the 7 city, 1 day tour, but it's not how I'd spend my time in this gorgeous region.

bbjj109 Aug 31st, 2004 06:20 AM

Thanks for your help. I wasn't sure about the 2nd day, so it sounds like I'm trying to bite off too much. Especially since I'll be having 3 days of intense business after that. I think I'll follow your advice and just relax and enjoy the area.
One more question. Would the car be too much hassle? Can I get by with just the boats and trains? I'm great with walking since I'm in training to do the breast cancer 3-day walk, but since I don't have a lot of time I wanted to maximize my sightseeing.

suze Aug 31st, 2004 09:41 AM

If you are dealing with only Lausanne, Vevey, and Montreux the train and bus couldn't be easier or more efficient.

Even my friends living there who own cars opt to use public transport when just going town to town, because gas is expensive and parking can be hard to find.

It's a bit of a hike but you can walk out to Chateau de Chillon in ~15 mins. depending where in Montreux you start. Any walk along the quai (lakeside promonade) that stretches town to town is lovely. Have some filet de perche (lake fish) in a cafe.

I would recommend a car only if you have specific sites or places not on a train line, or want to just drive around in the countryside. The highways are *fast* and a bit intimidating. For me, saving money and hassle, I would definitely make my plans around what I could easily do on foot, bus or train.

If you had 2 weeks I might say differently, but with only 2 days I feel pretty confident my advice is correct or for sure the most fun for the least stress and cost.