Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help-leave tomorrow for Brugges and flight is full to Brussels.Any suggestions on how to get to Brugge from Paris?

Search

Help-leave tomorrow for Brugges and flight is full to Brussels.Any suggestions on how to get to Brugge from Paris?

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2000, 06:32 PM
Amy

We are supposed to leave tomorrow for Brugge by way of flying into Brussels(free tickets) and now find out that the flight is full. Anyone know how we can get to Brugge from Paris? I know there is a train but is it out of downtown Paris or CDG airport(do we need reservations ahead?).How much does it usually cost and how long? Thanks for any and all help!Amy

Old May 15th, 2000, 07:06 PM
Tricia

Try your post in Cheap flight forum- we have a lot of travelers and someone who lives in Europe frequent the board and they help with intra european flights and trains- there is also a separate board for train travel etc., <BR>www.eurotrip.com

Old May 15th, 2000, 08:10 PM
Amy

Thanks but do you have the internet address for that? Amy

Old May 15th, 2000, 08:21 PM
Tony

There is at least 1 train per hour (TGV) from Paris CDG to Lille, journey time less than an hour. <BR>From Lille there are frequent trains to Brugge, usually with a connecting change at Ghent. <BR>One problem is that there are two stations at Lille. The TGV from Paris arrives at Lille (Europe). The Brugge trains depart from Lille (Flandres). They are about a 15 minute walk apart - not too good with luggage. There is a subway (underground) Val train from one to the other, or of course a short taxi ride. Make sure you have French francs on arrival if you choose this route.

Old May 15th, 2000, 08:28 PM
amy

thanks for the info,tony. I really appreciate it. Any other tips,Fodorites? Thanks,Amy

Old May 15th, 2000, 09:02 PM
Al

When I looked at the SNCF (French National Railways) web site, they show a direct train from the Gare du Nord to Brugge. Takes a little over 2 hrs.

Old May 15th, 2000, 09:56 PM
Tony

Al is right Amy, but there are only 2 trains a day direct from Paris Gare du Nord to Brugge, one at 0755, and another at 1755. Plus it takes a good hour to get from CDG to Paris Nord by RER train. Depends on your timing I guess.

Old May 16th, 2000, 01:15 AM
TJ

Took the train from Paris to Brugge just two weeks ago. Piece of cake. Two ways to do it: through Brussels or through Lille. Each takes 2h30. We did it through Lille. Trains leave Gare du Nord, high-speed to Lille Flanders. Switch trains at Lille Flanders, to regular commuter train to Brugge. The connection through Brussels is just as easy. (I'm not sure about trains originating from CDG. Check with sncf.com (or .fr)).

Old May 16th, 2000, 03:26 AM
kathy

just took this train last week. agree it is piece of cake. from CDG go to the end of the Delta checkin and follow through the opening to the moving stairs. at the end, go down two levels and the ticket counter for trains is onthe right. they are very helpful and automatically route you the best and cheapest way. it is train that ges to Lille, then you change to a trin to Brugge.at Lille, the second station is within eyeshot of the next train. our train continued on to Amsterdam last week, but we went as far as Lille this year. You'll love this experience. Enjoy.

Old May 16th, 2000, 06:29 AM
lola

Just got back from Brugge and want to suggest that you do your best to avoid the crowds. Get up before 8 to wander around before the tour groups. Walk late in the evening. The beauty of Brugge is somewhat dulled by the throngs, alas.