Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help!! Last minute trip to Rome and need a hotel!!

Sep 7th, 2001, 07:57 AM
Ingrid

My son just informed me that we are leaving to Rome next Thurday for a week. I need to find an inexpensive hotel for under $100.00 and in an area close to things. I have never been to Rome so I have no idea as to locations. Please help me!

Sep 7th, 2001, 08:11 AM
Rex

I was expecting to go look at www.venere.com - - also known as www.italyhotel.com - - see how bad the "pickings are" - - and come back here and summarize the bad news for you.

It is not as bad as I suspected, for six nights, one double, arriving Friday, Sep 14.

I will assume for a minute that you mean $100 per ROOM (double) - - your choices are few, but not non-existent - - and they are all in relatively less desirable locations - - but necessarily "bad" hotels.

Most of the hotels available on venere.com have the "Map-It" feature which will show you where they are. The majority will be in the Stazione Termini area - - which is not thagreat. If you COULD find one in the Centro Storico area, it would likely be a much better location (but might be a generally "crummier" hotel at this low end of the price ladder).

If, by chance, you meant $100 per PERSON (per night - - i.e., $200 for a double), then you have a number of other choices - - though I didn't see any really good hotels/locations - - except for Portoghesi (pretty good location - - though, curiously, it does NOT have the "Map-It" feature) - - still, I know where it is, and it is ok.

Best of luck,

Rex Bickers
Westerville, Ohio

Sep 7th, 2001, 08:13 AM
YS

I highly recomment hotel Caprice just off Via Venetto. It should be under $100 (we paied about $80) and is very descent. Private bathroom with a shower (no tub, but with bidet!)however. Search this forum and you'll find some more info on it in my trip review.

Sep 7th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Ingrid

Actually I meant $100.00 per night for 2 people. Thanks for the info.

Sep 7th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Colleen

Ingrid,

As I recall from the Fodor's 2001 (can't remember if its the Rome or Italy one) there is a convent that offers accomodations that is right by Piazza Navona (which is in the Centro Storico). It is on the last page after all the other lodging suggestions. (I don't have the book with me sorry).

I would offer more but insight, but I haven't been to Rome yet myself (going for 1st time in a few weeks), but I ran accross it when I was doing my research on hotels in Rome.

Good luck! Colleen

Sep 7th, 2001, 09:36 AM
scigirl

You might also try Hotel Des Artise - they can be located on the internet (we booked on the internet). Stayed there last year over the Easter weekend for about $125 US for a really nice double. I think they had some rooms with shared bath for even less. The hotel was a few blocks away from the train station in a fine area, located near a metro stop.

Sep 7th, 2001, 10:02 AM
hamlet

You may want to look into Hotel Elite which is on Via Francesco Crispi, prime location between the Spanish Steps and Piazza Barberini. I stayed there a few years ago - the hotel is fine - nothing special but affordable in a great location.