Reload this Page >

Help! Last minute trip to Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 12:43 PM
Tracey

My husband just surprised me with a trip to Barcelona for my birthday. We will be leaving in two weeks, so we don't have a lot of time to plan. We will be staying for one week and splitting our time between two hotels - the Colon and the Majestic. Any advice would be appreciated - must see sights, restaurants, etc. I think we would like to do a day trip to Monserrat - again, any advice? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance <BR>Tracey

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 12:59 PM
Helma

Hi Tracey! You sure don't want to miss Montserrat! I've been to Barcelona twice and loved it. It's one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Food is great there too! Must see: Parque Guem, La Sagrada Familia (it's a long way up to the main tower, but it's worth it). You can go pretty much everywhere by subway, it's very clean and well organized. Well, if you have any other questions, I'll be glad to help you.

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 01:03 PM
ilisa

I don't have much advice to give you. I just wanted to tell you that we stayed at the Colon in June and loved it. It was a lovely hotel. If you are not on the side facing the cathedral, see if you can at least get a fifth floor room. Those rooms have wonderful balconies. If you are there over a weekend, be sure to go outside around 5:30 on Saturday afternoon, and watch the locals dance the Sardana outside the cathedral. Our trip to Montserrat was the best day of the vacation. We booked the tour through our hotel (not the Colon) and it combined a visit to a winery. A wonderful day.

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 08:20 PM
Shawnna

Tracey, <BR> Eat at the Restaurante Los Caracoles...it's on la Calle Escudellers...a very small lane off Las Ramblas...ask the locals, they know the restaurant well--its old and well known. <BR>Go up to Tibidabo...spectacular view of Barcelona. Have a wonderful trip!

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 01:14 AM
Juan

<BR>Be very carefully in Barcelona with pickpockets. It's the pickpocket capital of Europe by far. Wear a money belt at all times or better yet use the hotel safe and only carry as much money as you need for the day. Pickpockets target the men mostly in Barcelona I have found so in a couple it's best if the woman carries most of the money you need for the day. If someone tries to stop you for any reason in the street or subway be VERY careful and don't stop no matter what.

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 08:43 AM
Michele

All the other advice is good, especially the one about pickpockets. <BR> Splurge...eat at AGUT D'AVIGNON..excellent regional specialities in an elegant setting. It is open for lunch as well as dinner. <BR> <BR>We also enjoyed EL MUSSOL, the one in the old quarter. Lively place that is popular with all age groups..lots of simply grilled meats and poultry. <BR> <BR>Try to see the Palau Musical; the concert hall. The interior is fantastic, very surreal. I think you can take a tour of the whole place. You can buy tickets on the Ramblas, or else look in and see the lobby. Have fun. Barcelona is a great town.. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>We enjoyed <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 11:52 AM
Tracey

Tracey: Enjoyed Barcelona, a beautiful <BR>city,pickpockets you will find every- <BR>where... in Paris,Rome,New york etc. <BR>just be careful. Oh, Barcelona is not <BR>the pickpockets of the World. <BR>enjoyed but just be careful, as if you <BR>were in the subway in New York,jkaj <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 07:19 AM
Lou

Don't miss Parc Guell. This is a residential area planned by Antonio Gaudi but not finished. Even though there are only a few houses, there is a lot to see (including a museum in the house he lived in). It is a Fantasyland! There is also a good view from the top of the parc. Barcelona is one of our favorite cities.

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 09:42 AM
Brian in Atlanta

While a bit touristy, the Bus Touristic is a great way to get a feel for the city while visiting many of the sites recommended above (Sagrada Familia and Park Guell are must sees - skip the Olympic Village). It's a hop on / hop off bus so you can easily see what you want and the buses come by about every 30 minutes. In good weather, you can sit on the exposed top and really look like a tourist (ha, ha). <BR>My wife and I finally got on the bus the last day of our stay and wished we'd done it on the first.

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 01:46 PM
michele

Tracey, <BR>It's Michele again. There is a Modernisme Multi-Ticket for about 1500 pesatas. It includes entry and a guided tour (usually) to ALL the major musuems and the Palau de la Musica. <BR>For sale at: Center del Modernisme Office, <BR>1st floor of the Casa Lleo Morea on the Manazana de la Discodia (tel: 488 01 39 <BR>It is a GREAT deal as entrance to the Sagrada Familia is 800 pesatas alone. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 11:40 AM
Sheila

Totally agree with the last posting. Apart from the guide and the entrance to the places on the Modernism route, the 8 page guide that comes with it is easily the best simple guide to the city. <BR> <BR>You also want to walk along Las Ramblas when its busy (clutching your bag if you're paranoid)It's a bit touristy but is very full of life and great fun.

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 08:31 AM
Giorgio Gaioli

Happy birthday, Tracy! <BR> <BR>I'm from Barcelona and I study turism. Also I'm doing a project which is make a web/searcher of turism of Spain. <BR>First of all I'm gonna give to you some of the webs of Bcn: www.bcn.es/english/ihome.htm <BR>www.barcelonaturisme.com/turisme/ing/home.htm <BR>Secondly, congratulations! The hotels that your husband has chosen are great. The Hotel Majestic is just rebuilded. And it's in the nicest part/avenue of the citty. If you like shopping, right under H. Majestic you have two brand new shops; Giorgio Armani and Channel, Channel was open two weeks ago. <BR> <BR>The weather is gonna be great. In fact, today, I hated my jacked!On April is sunny, normally. Although in April that rains more! Don't worry, in Barcelona never rains but in April just a little bit. <BR> <BR>About the pickpockets, are the same as are in the rest of Europe or IN the States. So just be carefull; do not take w/ you a lot of money. Go w/ your Credit Card, all the shops ask for your personal ID when you want to shop something w/ credit card. <BR> <BR>Turistic bus <BR>A convenient way of getting to know the city by bus. Single- and double-decker vehicles run on two sightseeing routes. Passengers can get on and off the bus as many times and for as long as they like, at any of the designated stops, and enjoy both routes with the same ticket. A voucher booklet featuring discounts at the city's main sights is also issued with the ticket. There is an information officer on board to advise passengers. <BR>Runs: every day of the week from Easter to the beginning of January (except 25th December and 1st January). <BR> If you need some more information, you can write to my email adress. Now, I don't have more time left. The turism web will be done around April. It will be call www.turiweb.com <BR>I hope this information will help you. Bye, Gio.