Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP! Is this too much to pack for a month in Italy??

Sep 11th, 2000, 04:11 PM
Jan

My husband and I are going to Italy for a month and want to travel with an Eagle Creek Journey back pack and 1 rolling carry on. I tried to follow suggestions on this site and now that our trip is close, I want to make sure I have enough but light enough to travel on trains when we change location-FLorence,Venice,Tuscany,Calabria, Amalfi Coast and Capri.We are mid 50's and want to dress appropriately as I have read that Italians dress very well and that we should leave our jeans home.

1 long black skirt
1 black dress
1 sleeveless dress

2 pr shorts

2 silk walking shorts outfits

1 pr black slacks
1 pr beige slacks
1 pr knit slacks

2 pr sandles(Thanks to this site-Ecco&Easy spirit. (Even my husband bought Clarks and Easy Spirit for Men -I got his Clarks for $22,my Eccos for $45!!)
1 pr walking shoes plus Reebocks just in case

tops that are interchangeable with all the above total-8 plus 2 to cover up sleeveless dresses in churches

underwear

windbreaker

packable rain ponchos

1 bathing suit

toiletries and misc

travel books,camera,binoculars,calculators

important papers-for hotel and car confirmations

We plan to go to a laundromat twice and wash by hand a la Rick!

This is a budget dream vacation and staying in nice B+Bs etc found on this site. Thanks for all your help!!

Sep 11th, 2000, 04:27 PM
Pdv28

Jan,

This all looks good to me. I agree that comfortable shoes will be very important, and it sounds like you are well prepared!

I just want to add that I think (Eagle Creek) or some other travel companies have packing bags that are supposed to compress the air out to make more room. I have not tried this yet, but it may be a good idea. You could also probably use ziplock bags, but they may not compress out the air as well.

Hope you have fun!
Patricia

Sep 11th, 2000, 07:19 PM
wendy

I used those compressor bags for a three-month trip to Europe and just recently to move cross-country. They are such a fantastic invention.
I bought them from www.qvc.com - the home shopping channel, just $20 for 6. They're called Pack Mate. Eagle Creek started making them too, but they cost $20 for just 2.

Sep 12th, 2000, 05:54 AM
judy

Hi Jan, your packing list seems fine to me, but instead of shorts, did you think about capris or cropped pants? IMO, they are stylish and comfortable and very versatile,,,just a suggestion...and have a great trip, it sounds wonderful!!! JUDY

Sep 12th, 2000, 06:00 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jan, I love it---great job. You have
been paying attention and will have a
fabulous trip because of it. We pack
the same for 2 weeks or 2 months, and you have nailed it. BUON VIAGGIO !

Sep 12th, 2000, 07:06 AM
elaine

I agree that I would trade in a couple of the shorts for more pants or casual skirts. They are more versatile, and you can't get into some churches in shorts.
You've done a great job!

Sep 12th, 2000, 07:10 AM
Janice

another vote for more skirts/capris/pants and fewer shorts - more versatile, more appropriate.
have a great time!

Sep 12th, 2000, 07:13 AM
Jan

Thanks once again!!!I think I have covered all areas as I have been planning for over a year. My husband calls me "Internetta" as I have been on the net for so long, but I hope it will pay off. If all goes well our trip all inclusive of EVERYTHING will be $6000 for 2 and we are not staying at sny "dumpy places" either. All centrally located in each town. If anyone wants suggestions let me know!CIAO!

Sep 12th, 2000, 09:01 AM
lisa

Hi Jan. Your list looks good, although I personally think 4 pairs of footwear is unnecessary (I usually wear one & bring one so only 2 pairs total -- on occasion may throw in one extra pair if its small and packable like lightweight flats or sandals). Also I would only bring one dress instead of 2 since you're also bringing a skirt, and I would only bring 2-3 pairs of shorts instead of 4 (would probably trade one pair of shorts for another pair of pants or capri pants), and would only bring 6-7 tops, but that's just me. Everybody's different. On the packing issue, I have used the large ziplock bags and find they work great -- they definitely allow you to fit more in and reduce wrinkles, plus they're nice to have along in case you need them for e.g. packing a wet bathing suit or whatever. Have a great time.

Sep 12th, 2000, 10:33 AM
lola

Agree with Lisa, 100%.

Sep 12th, 2000, 10:42 AM
elaine

Jan
If you have room for a small folding umbrella, throw one in, along with an extra pair of socks and some bandaids.
Do you need the calculator for something specific? If it's just for currency calculations, most stores you deal with will do those estimates for you.
Enjoy

Sep 18th, 2000, 11:43 AM
Deborah

Just got back from Italy a few days ago and while I did dress in skirts or slacks most days, It was nice on days that I had train travel to be wearing jeans. In fact a couple of women I met up with mentioned how they wished they had jeans for the travel portions. People there do wear jeans so don't feel like you will look out of place.

Another thing that I took that I thought I would only use once or twice but used EVERY day was a small back pack for day trips. I used it everywhere I went with a book, camera, wallet,kleenex etc. Left my hands free and my purse safe from potential pickpockets.

Sep 18th, 2000, 06:03 PM
CAS

WOW! That seems like a lot of clothes. We're going for seven months and my list isn't so long! I'm surprised more people haven't counseled you to pare down. I'm going to keep watching to hear what others have to say.

Sep 19th, 2000, 02:36 AM
Kay

Hi Jan,
You are certainly very organised! My first thought was that I usually travel with about one quarter of what you are taking. How about - 1 or 2 pair of shorts, 2 trousers, 1 dress. If you take clothes that wash/dry easily and don't need ironing you can wash clothes out overnight and in most cases wear them the next day. I would also only take 2 pairs of shoes in total, sandals plus walking shoes.
A tried and true suggestion is to take half the clothes and twice the money. The less you have to carry the happier you will be, and if you get really sick of the few clothes you have, it's a great excuse to buy something. Make sure you leave room for things you buy yourself or as gifts.
Have a great time! Kay