Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help in the making of Itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-in-the-making-of-itinerary-1019261/)

Pulkit7 Jul 7th, 2014 07:17 AM

Help in the making of Itinerary

I am Pulkit and I'll be visiting Bremen, Germany for an International conference. From there I plan to travel 3-4 cities in the span of 4days. After those 3 or so days, I'll finish the trip in Paris. Can anyone suggest me as to what kind of itinerary I can go for with respect to these 3-4 days sadwitched between Bremen and Paris? Thank you.

bilboburgler Jul 7th, 2014 07:22 AM

You need to dig out a map and www.bahn.de to see where the trains go. For me from Bremen I might visit Hamburg, Hanover, Strasbourg, Amsterdam, Brussels. It reallu depends on what you want to see. You will only find really old stuff in the smaller cities (which were not bombed) such as Brugges or Strasbourg or Rheims where as the other cities will generally be newer. If you want to drink different beers then Belgium is the place to go as well as Germany.

What interests do you have?

PalenQ Jul 7th, 2014 07:43 AM

Amsterdam could lovingly take all your extra days - moving around for one-night stops can be exhausting and a waste of time. Base in Amsterdam for the entire time and perhaps do a day trip to one of those Dutch regional town gems - like close by Haarlem.

For lots of train info and suggested rail routes check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Amsterdam would be a great choice IMO - this one of themost gorgeous of cities in all of Europe and one with eclectic interest for all is but 3.5 hours or so now from Paris by high-speed Thalys trains - www.thalys.com for deep discounted tickets if you book weeks or months in advance - just show up and you'll pay a hundred or so bucks more!

Be sure to book discounted tickets for German trains at www.bahn.de/en if you know exactly when you want to go as those discounted tickets are train-specific and can't be changed and have a 15-euro refund penalty and must be booked far in advance as they are sold in limited numbers on each train but again you can save a lot over just buying on the day of travel.

Pulkit7 Jul 7th, 2014 08:46 AM

Woahh. I am a new user here and already feel impressed. Two replies within a couple of hours. Thank you guys.
Anyway, continuing on the topic: I initially planned for Amsterdam but I soon came to know that the day next to the one when my conference gets over brings in Oktoberfest in Munich and therefore I am planning to go there. Also, as per some other suggestions I am also thinking to go to Prague which will lie in the way.
What do you guys think regarding that?

@Bllboburgler My flight reaches Hamburg only. So will be spending a say there. I am travelling outside India for the first time. So interests would include Europe's nature and nightlife. Would love to check out some rivers/mountains and on the other hand some happening nightclubs as well.

@PalenQ I feel the urge to go to Amsterdam so strongly now. But sadly I have almost made up my mind for Oktoberfest. How is Prague and Berlin?

bilboburgler Jul 7th, 2014 08:59 AM

Amsterdam offers you good night life and a pleasant cityscape include tram system with easy access to other local towns.

Prague is packed with tourists for most of the year, a small centre with a tram system, lots of meat and beer.

Speaking of which Munich as baroque architecture and basically you get drunk on large amounts of beer and eat a lot of pork.

Berlin is a big city for Europe with a big park in the centre, some great musuems and good nightlife.

Rivers, you would do better in Strasbourg, Rheims or Brussels. Nature... well it is kinda of everywhere but maybe the Vosges is a good option or the hills around Munich

nytraveler Jul 7th, 2014 10:04 AM

None of these cities give you scenery and nature - for that you need to get into the mountains.

And with the cities you are talking about you will spend most of your time traveling rather than seeing/doing anything - and going in the opposite direction from Paris.

In only 4 days you need to pick just 1 or 2 places - at absolute most.

If you want to do Oktoberfest you could go to Munich and then head into Southern Bavaria to see a couple of Mad Ludwig's Castles and spend a day in the Bavarian Alps. From there head direct to Paris.

While Prague is a wonderful city that I love - you would have to do it INSTEAD of Munich - not including it - and Prague is on the central european plain - not in the mountains.

I know it's tempting to try to stuff 25 pounds of stuff into a 10 pound bag - but it just really doesn't work.

If you tell us how many days you have altogether - including Paris - people can give better advice.

Pulkit7 Jul 7th, 2014 12:06 PM

Hmm. That is a good point nnytraveler. Guys, what is your take on oktoberfest? Well, I get free from the conference on the evening of 19th September. I have my flight back to delhi on 25th morning from Paris. So one thing is certain that I have to take a route that ends in Paris. Now the only thing that has had any influence on my planning for those days is oktoberfest. I am willing to know about more options. Thanks.

nytraveler Jul 7th, 2014 06:13 PM

You should go direct from Munich to Paris - if you want time to see anything there at all. IMHO 5 nights (4 days) is the minimum to really see much of anything in Paris

Now I see you are trying to put 50 pounds of stuff into a 10 pound bag.

bilboburgler Jul 8th, 2014 01:24 AM

You could go to the world's largest wine festival in Bad Durkheim http://www.duerkheimer-wurstmarkt.de...markt.html?L=1 the second week hits your target time, the area is close to a forest/hilly bit and the place is wall to wall wine and pork from 9am to 2am. Not sure about accomodation (though Munich will be fully booked by now) we stayed in the hotel right in the centre of the festival.

Pulkit7 Jul 8th, 2014 01:30 AM

Well, I am guilty of that but what to do when this is my first trip and I am getting lots of suggestions from everywhere. I had initially planned 4days in Paris. Then couple of friends suggested to visit cities like Berlin and Prague (even only for one day). I think I am getting some viable planning options here also.

PalenQ Jul 8th, 2014 06:27 AM

Then couple of friends suggested to visit cities like Berlin and Prague (even only for one day).>

But for just one day think about that - travel time to get to Berlin and Prague must be factored in - you would want at least a few days in a place like Berlin.

PalenQ Jul 8th, 2014 07:10 AM

About Octoberfest - it may sound more romantic than it is in reality - IME unless you are with others it may not be the party you think. Oh it's great to take a look in the various behemoth beer halls and listen to the oompah bands playing German beer hall music ('there is no beer in heaven, that's why we are all here', etc) but solo it may not be worth more than a short look.

Anyway with that limited time even though you want to go everywhere you should settle on one or two places - travel time in between cities will take a lot of time if far removed like you wish list ones seem to be.

Order you wish cities from 1 to 6 then roll the dye and see which one comes up!

Pulkit7 Jul 12th, 2014 07:58 AM

Thank you all. I have got good points now.