Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help in itinery for Italy,Switzerland and Austria

Feb 15th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi,my husband and I are planning a trip to Europe covering Italy,Switzerland and Austria for 14 nights.We plan to use Eurail.The plan is to arrive in Rome and depart from either Zurich or Vienna depending on the the itinery or vice-versa.The plan is to go to Rome(2n)>>Florence(2n)>>Venice(2n).We are unsure about the second part whether to go from
1.Venice-Lucerne(3n)-Innsbruck(1n)-Salzburg(2n)-Vienna(2n)-depart from Vienna or
2.Venice-Vienna(2n)-Salzburg(2n)-Innsbruck(1n)-Lucerne(2n)-Zurich(1n)-depart from Zurich.
Pls advise the best route in terms of time travelling and train connection or any other better suggestion.
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:12 PM

You want to go to 7 cities in 14 days? That barely gives you a day in each city when you count travelling time. You might want to rethink your itinerary.

In terms of train connection, Venice to Vienna will be better, I suppose, since you won't have to change trains, but it still is almost a 7 hour journey.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions from Europe experts on this forum.

For train information, you can try:
http://www.seat61.com/
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
http://www.sbb.ch/en/
Feb 16th, 2006, 04:15 AM

Hi meilim,

I agree with sharon1306 above. Have you researched your train trips and know how long they are? I think some of them are pretty long (more than four-five hours), and staying only two nights (arrival night, stay one night, leave) will be harried.

Good luck!

s
Feb 16th, 2006, 04:29 AM
ira

Hi m,

Ditto the above.

You can get train schedules at http://plannerint.b-rail.be/bin/query.exe/en?L=profi&

It also shows you the intermediate stops, so that you can plot your route at www.viamichelin.com.

FYI, Eurail is not a railroad. It is a ticket agency.

Before you buy any railpasses, enter your itinerary at www.railsaver.com and click "only if it saves money".

Two weeks is the right amount of time to visit Rome, Venice and Florence.

Two weeks would make a good visit to Switzerland and Austria.

Please rethink your itinerary. At the moment it is a trek, not a vacation.

Feb 16th, 2006, 04:51 AM

Frankly, I would ditch Austria entirely. Get on a fast Cisalpino service from Venice into Switzerland and spend the rest of the time there.

OR tak the night train from Venice to Zurich; Luzern is about an hour away from there by rail.
Feb 16th, 2006, 04:54 AM

And, if you do use passes you can get a two-country one
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:12 AM

I would also choose the two countries you want to see the most and spend roughly a week in each. I would probably stay 3 nights in
Rome since you will be jet lagged and there is alot to see. When are you going
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:25 AM

I would stick w/Italy, from Venice maybe venture to Bratislava but Vienna is quite a ways. 2 days in each of the Italian 'Big 3' is not sufficient. I would try at least 3-4 days each & go from there.
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:50 PM

I think (1n) stops are not a good idea. As others have mentioned I think you need to make your list and apply actual travel times to each day.

Don't forget... check out of hotel, walk or take taxi to train station, buy tickets and make journey, walk or take taxi to new hotel, check in. Even on shorter distances this subtracts 1/2 day minimum.
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:28 PM

Ditto again. You could do Rome/Florence/Venice/Salzberg/Vienna, Zurich/Luzern/Rome/Florence/Venice, or Zurich/Luzern/Venice/Florence/Rome--note that there are night trains between Zurich and Rome and Zurich and Venice (each of which you can connect with through a short train trip from Luzern.) Trying to see any more would be a mad dash everywhere.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:08 AM

I agree that you should cut down your cities. I live in Innbruck, which is lovely and small. Great mountains. FYI, you can take a train from Venice to Innsbruck in about 5.5 hours. Then a train from Innsbruck to Zurich in I think about 3 hours. Check to see what you really want to do and focus in a bit! Good luck.