Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help! I want to get some Euros before my trip but my bank doesn't have foreign currency (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-i-want-to-get-some-euros-before-my-trip-but-my-bank-doesnt-have-foreign-currency-183862/)

Sue Mar 28th, 2002 06:29 AM

Help! I want to get some Euros before my trip but my bank doesn't have foreign currency

Any suggestions? I plan on using my ATM card in Europe, but I would like to have some cash on hand just in case. AAA only has Euro travel checks.

Bob Brown Mar 28th, 2002 06:34 AM

I think any major bank should be able to handle the trade. You will pay 5% for them. American Express offices can order currency for you, if you have an AE card. You end up paying a less than favorable exchange rate plus Federal Express shipping charges.<BR><BR>I pay the fee and get the minimum amount of currency from my local branch of the Bank of America.<BR><BR>

andi Mar 28th, 2002 06:36 AM

My bank didn't have Moroccan currency when I needed it a couple of years ago, but I was able to order some through American Express (don't know if this works if you don't have an Amex card). It was really weird to open this envelope full of cash, but I always like to have at least enough local currency for a cab, so I can get going as soon as I get off the plane. Maybe if you don't have American Express, another credit card company could help. I'd also try another bank; I don't think you need to have an account just to buy some Euros.

Jim Mar 28th, 2002 06:40 AM

check out Fleet at http://www.travelcash.com/. I bought TC's from them to pay a deposit. got them i two days. Plan on buying some EURO to take with me this summer. Like everything else you pay a little premium, but the shipping is free for the right amount

xxxx Mar 28th, 2002 06:42 AM

Buy some at the money exchange booth at the airport you are leaving from.

Annie Mar 28th, 2002 06:42 AM

It's not the cheapest way, but you could just exchange some at the airport. Since I'm assuming you just want a small amount, you won't lose that much with the higher rates they charge at the airport.

Sue Mar 28th, 2002 07:16 AM

Wow, five answers in less than 15 minutes. Thanks everyone. I'll start exploring the options and let you know how it goes.<BR><BR>By the way, I don't have an American Express card. Yes, I leave home everyday without it.

JP Mar 28th, 2002 07:17 AM

You could try one of the online places such as http://www.foreign-currency.com/

Book Chick Mar 28th, 2002 07:23 AM

Hi Sue,<BR>Prior to going to Rome in January, I obtained Euros through the OANDA web site. They said they'd send my Euros to my home Fed-Ex 2nd Day Air, but actually shipped them overnight for the price of a 2nd Day air shipment. I think you have to get a 200 Euro minimum, but check it out, you might find it worth your while, I'd recommend their service & was glad I did this. (I left so soon after 2002 began that the banks in my town didn't have Euros in yet.)<BR><BR>Happy Travels, <BR>BC

Jjoanne Mar 28th, 2002 07:29 AM

Sue: Good advice from BC. While you're in Oanda's web site print yourself a "cheat sheet" which gives you US to EUR and EUR to US. Helpful in figuring out the exchange when making purchases or paying for something. I always take stick one in my wallet when going to Europe and they are very useful.<BR><BR>j

xxx Mar 28th, 2002 08:04 AM

Surely your bank can order Euros??

elvira Mar 28th, 2002 08:05 AM

You can buy foreign currency at American Express, even if you aren't a card member. Federal Reserve banks can get foreign currency all the time; a small branch will probably have to order it from the mother bank. If there's a Thomas Cook travel agency in your town, they have foreign currency as well.<BR><BR>You do not have to be a customer of a bank to get foreign currency. Go to the mother bank with cash in hand, and they'll gladly sell you Euros...

kd Mar 28th, 2002 08:21 AM

For my european trips in the past several years, I've dispensed with buying travelers checks or foreign currency in the US. I've always been able to get the local currency from an ATM in my arrival airport (Shannon, Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona). I do take about US$200 in cash so that I can convert it at the foreign exchange booth if the airport ATMs fail me, but I haven't needed to. You don't get a great conversion rate from those places, but it's probably no worse than the rate you'd pay in the US.

xxx Mar 28th, 2002 08:37 AM

What a big hullabaloo over nothing.

x Mar 28th, 2002 08:55 AM

Agree with xxx. Just buy some from the numerous currency booths at your arriving airport. You'll get a much better rate than in the US.

Larry Mar 28th, 2002 08:58 AM

Just withdraw some from an ATM at the airport of your arrival point. Every airport has ATM's and it IS the cheapest way

Erin Mar 28th, 2002 09:21 AM

AAA can def. order Euros for you - call them back. I just ordered some 3 weeks ago. There was a $12 fee.

Juju Mar 28th, 2002 09:53 AM

Airport exchange booth at departure or arrival airport. It will be way less trouble than anything else you might do. But more than likely, there will be an ATM in the airport, and you can get money from that.

Bob Brown Mar 28th, 2002 10:19 AM

I have never seen a foreign money ATM or exchange window at Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport. Does anybody know if there is such a thing in that complex?<BR><BR>I will admit that I wasn't looking for one at any time. <BR><BR>If there is one at Charlotte - Douglas, same request. Where is the rascal??<BR>I have not seen one there.<BR>But again I was not looking for one.<BR><BR>

Brian in Atlanta Mar 28th, 2002 10:42 AM

Hi Bob. There is one tucked away in the E Concourse and I've also seen a couple of mobile cart units. However, I've never seen one open at our departure time (after 8:00 PM). Hartsfield has a web site that should point out the location.