Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help-I overpacked and want to send some things home from Paris

Sep 18th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

I apologize if this questions shows up twice. I thought I posted it, but I never saw where it showed up.

Okay, so I way overpacked. Again. I am in Paris now, then traveling to Italy for 10 days where we will be moving around a good bit. I would like to ship home my Paris books, some purchases, and some extra clothes. Nothing I'm in a huge hurry to get home. What is the best way to do this. I, of course, don't have a box, so that has to be factored into my plans. I know it will be expensive, but if it is anywhere within reason, I'd really like to do it.
Thanks for all suggestions.
Deb
PS If anyone cares, after a cool, drizzly start to the day, it was a BEAUTIFUL day in Paris!
Sep 18th, 2006, 11:14 AM

I sent back stuff from Paris. Found a box on the street, got bubble wrap from Office Max. I thought I told the postal worker "not fast", but she must have heard just the fast. It got here in a week, for a bit of cash. When it arrived they had placed my package in another box. Not difficult.

I sent stuff back from Scotland and then Ireland once. It was great to get these packages later. Just like Christmas.
Sep 18th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Have you been to a post office? I can't remember specific to Paris but often times they have sturdy boxes for sale for this purpose.

I've done it in Amsterdam and in Switzerland both... Took a grocery sack full of clothes and guidebooks not needed for the remainder or a trip to the post office. Mark the customs form "dirty clothes" and send it off. It was not terribly expensive for the size I sent.
Sep 18th, 2006, 02:57 PM

anyone else?
Sep 18th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Not from France as I have never been there but I shipped a very large box of clothes from Italy. I used the Italian PO in one of the small cities in the region of Veneto, Italy. The box was obtained from the PO. I sent it via Land (not Air). It took a good two months to arrive home which was not a problem. If memory serves me correctly it cost me about $70.00US.
Sep 18th, 2006, 03:44 PM

We sent two medium sized boxes home from France containing nothing but guidebooks, maps, brochures and dirty clothes.

They were mailed from Bize Minevois (a small town), and we too wrote dirty clothes on the outside. We made sure that they were securely taped. This was about 8 years ago and at the time I thought that it was pretty expensive.

They both arrived about 7 weeks later, and both boxes had been torn open and througly ransacked. Nothing was taken or lost. Then they were hazardously taped back together, not very secure.

It was worth unloading them and not having to schlepp them for another month- but it was expensive.

On that same trip from a small store in Paris, we had them ship a clock that we had purchased. They didn't charge that much to ship. It took over a month to get here and that box was a real mess when it arrived. That wonderful clock, a copper castle with a dungeon cut out in the basement, with small dark eyes going back and forth on the pendulum. It keeps perfect time and still hangs in our bathroom over the toilet. I guess you'd have to see it, my description doesn't do it justice. Anyone time you're in the neighborhood, drop in to use our W.C.

Nina
Sep 18th, 2006, 03:50 PM
rex

Mailboxes Etc. - - MBE.com has a lot of locations in Italy, though not so many in France (none in Paris, for example... but 5 each in Milan and Rome). I suppose you wouldn't want to take it with you to Italy first, and then ship it home - - but they can be very helpful, if you don't figure out an economical method from France.

Best wishes,

Rex
Sep 18th, 2006, 06:25 PM

There are FedEx and DHL offices in Paris...

DHL -
59 avenue d'Iena Paris 75016
Opening hours
Mon-Fri 09:00-20:00
Sat 09:00-17:00
Sun Closed
Holidays Closed

6, Rue des Colonnes Paris 75002
Opening hours
Mon-Fri 07:00-21:00
Sat-Sun Closed
Holidays Closed

FedEx -
63 boulevard Haussmann 75008 Paris
09:00 - 19:30 Mon - Fri
09:00 - 17:30 Sat
Sep 18th, 2006, 06:27 PM

... and beaucoup offices for UPS:
http://www.ups.com/content/fr/en/shi...dex.html#Paris
Sep 18th, 2006, 07:06 PM

I sent home extra clothing and books via Federal Express from Rome. Couldn't find a box in Rome and the post office boxes were too small.

Also sent home from Munich and their post office had boxes in lots of sizes.

Can't remember the price, but it was well worth it to get rid of some of my warmer cloth as we headed into Italy.
Sep 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM

If you take your goods to a normal post office they have various express/economy parcel rates, often including the packaging. If you can read French, then you can get an idea of the services and rates at http://www.laposte.fr/particulier_4.html (click on "Envoyez et recevez des colis")

If you are sending a parcel of books only, enquire about the printed material rate as it should be cheaper.

Opening times vary from one post office to another, though they are usually open from around 8 am to 7 pm on weekdays and until midday on Saturdays.
However, the central post office at 52 rue du Louvre in the 1st arrondissement is open 24 hours.
Sep 19th, 2006, 12:27 AM

Books and videos and perhaps CDs can be mailed from Europe using 'M Bag' service. Check 'international postal rates'. Corrugated cartons should be available for the asking from shops. Wrapping paper and tape at the stationery shop. Enclose a duplicate address. Be sure the address is legible. Cover it with clear tape.