Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help! I need advice on what musical to see in London. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-i-need-advice-on-what-musical-to-see-in-london-102984/)

Chris Jan 30th, 2001 08:57 AM

Help! I need advice on what musical to see in London.

I'm considering Notre Dame de Paris, Lion King, La Cava, Les Miserables, Napoleon and Witches of Eastwick. I'm generally more into the visual spectacle than the music. Phantom is my favorite musical thus far. Any suggestions appreciated.

jhm Jan 30th, 2001 09:04 AM

Haven't seen many of those, but I would definitely recommend Lion King first and foremost for visual spectacle, Les Mis second.

ron Jan 30th, 2001 09:15 AM

La Cava and Napoleon are closing this Saturday, Feb 3, so that should make your choice easier. The Beautiful Game is the only currently playing musical I have seen, but it is mostly about music and book, not spectacle.

sara Jan 30th, 2001 09:54 AM

Les Miserables is definatley the best musical, Lion King is excellent - if you can get tickets!. Both very visualy stunnning.

Lori Jan 30th, 2001 10:14 AM

When are you going? If you want to make definate plans for a particularl show on a particular day you may need to buy tickets well in advance (I do and use TicketmasterUK). We've seen Mamma Mia (not spectacle tho) and loved it, will see it again in April, also seeing Witches of Eastwick and The King & I then. We saw Lion King in London last year and did not like it - too Disney-ish for us I guess, altho the costumes were nice. Les Mis is always a good bet too. How about Starlight Express???? That might fit your visial spectacle criteria as well.

Chris Jan 30th, 2001 10:23 AM

Thanks everyone, I'll be there in late Feb. of this year. Is Lion King entertaining for adults, or primarily targeted for kids? Les Mis. is interesting per it's rep., however, he do people compare it to Phantom?

ron Jan 30th, 2001 10:45 AM

Given your dates, maybe you will have to scratch Witches of Eastwick as well. It closes Feb 24 at Drury and reopens Mar 23 at Prince of Wales.

jhm Jan 30th, 2001 10:52 AM

Lion King is not just for kids. It is fabulous. The plot of Les Mis is better, and the music is more similar to Phantom (although MUCH better), and has the same tragic love story element as Phantom. Lion King's music is different, the best parts are the incorporation of African choral music into the Elton John score.

TT Jan 30th, 2001 05:17 PM

Go with Lion King if you can.

Joan Jan 30th, 2001 06:50 PM

We saw Lion King last summer with our 2 teenagers. We loved it and so did they!!

xxx Jan 30th, 2001 07:41 PM

Such a cynic I am, apparently... <BR> <BR>Is this really a travel question? <BR> <BR>Is there some message board you go to ask what movie to go see on a Saturday night? <BR>

kate Feb 1st, 2001 04:57 AM

Unless you live in London, then of course it's a travel question, you miserable git. Didn't realise we were restricted to hotel choices and airfare enquiries.

Judy Feb 1st, 2001 05:07 AM

Thanks for clarifying! You made me smile! He/she is a git?(miserable too). ;-) Judy

Linda Feb 1st, 2001 06:21 AM

Chris: <BR> <BR>What to see depends on what you want out of your evening. <BR> <BR>If you want to have fun and feel good, don't miss Momma Mia. What a hoot! <BR> <BR>Witches of Eastwick was very good if it is playing while you are there. The Lion King was well done and would be entertaining to all ages. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Tom Feb 1st, 2001 06:32 AM

Mamma Mia is a riot. Caveat is only go if you are a fan of Abba's music. Had fun seeing it last September and intend on seeing it in the states in 2001.

Susan Feb 1st, 2001 06:55 AM

Tom, I disagree with your caveat on Mamma Mia! I saw it here in Toronto at New Years and loved it! I've never been an ABBA fan, but it's hard to believe that the songs weren't written for the play. It's a lot of fun. <BR> <BR>Also loved the Lion King here in Toronto. The staging is incredible - it really is a visual spectacle.

Sue Feb 1st, 2001 09:15 AM

Question: Why did MG (miserable git) even check this posting if "it" wasn't interested in it?

Royston Feb 4th, 2001 12:31 PM

Hi Chris <BR>Mamma Mia fabulous, also Buddy and recently swaw the King & I, all worth the effort. Get booking for Mamma Mia now <BR>enjoy <BR>Royston

Elise Feb 4th, 2001 12:47 PM

For visual I would say Lion King, it is very good. For an all round fantastic show I would have to say Les Mis. I just saw it for the first time on Wednesday and it's now in it's 16th year running!! It is fantastic. A woman behind me cried her eyes out, it is a very moving, very special show.

susan Feb 4th, 2001 04:04 PM

I'm hoping to travel to London from Philadelphia, USA, in June,01. Will only have 4 days and am looking for pointers- Need a nice but reasonable hotel within walking distance of major sites- also reasonable places to eat- pubs and such. Thanks for any help.