Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help-how do you get from Paris to Florence by train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm still trying to spend my time and money in the wisest way. I'm wondering about taking a train from Paris to Florence. Has anyone done this and can you offer any advice on websites, etc? Thanks!
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:19 PM

Hi cybertraveler, we have caught the overnight train from paris to florence. It was a pleasant trip and got into Florence about 8.00 am. It saved a night's accommodation in a hotel, however I wouldn't say it was cheap. It might be an idea to look at budget flights from paris. Perhaps use www.whichbudget.com
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:09 PM

Check out this website for intra-france and intra-europe trains, times, prices etc:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com

Pretty easy to navigate even if you don't know French. And you can book with your overseas credit card.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:47 AM

You can also use the GermanRail timetable to check schedules:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

but the Voyages-SNCF site might be better (as mentioned above) for booking tickets on-line. Usually you can book a maximum of 60 days/nights ahead.

Pay on-line with your credit card and pick the tickets up at an SNCF "boutique" or ticket office once you arrive in France.
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:48 AM
rex

It was always going to be inevitable, I guess - - the rise of low-cost intra-Europe airlines is changing the way some train travel is priced. And so now, it's not just two variables on a "long-distance" route like this - - but four: time vs money, but also comfort and advance commitment.

For one month in advance, tere is a "mini-C" fare on SNCF of 70 euro for a first class couchette for the overnight 12 hr service. Ironically, on the prticular date I chose to search, there was no corresponding sale price for 2nd class (105 e; norml 1st class is 120 e). But the 70 e is nonrefundable, non-transferable.

Or you can buy more comfort with a first class double at 160 e, a first class single at 254 e, a first class double with shower at 250 e and a first class single with shower at 370 e.

The first class couchette mini-C is cheaper than a randomly selected best fare on Easyjet for the week of June 20 of 76 e plus 16 e in taxes.

So, you need to allocate your time and money according to these two parts of the eqution.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:03 AM

Always bear in mind that the overnight train is the quickest option in that it wastes less time: you can spend a day in Paris, then spend the next day in Firenze. Flying is likely to take a morning or an afternoon when you add in all the additional time, and you'll still have to pay for a night in a hotel. The night train to Firenze is the one that goes to Roma, and has 4- or 6-berth couchettes, traditional sleeping cars and "Excelsior" sleeping cars with compartments with bathrooms. There are plenty of threads on this forum about this train, or look on www.seat61.com.
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:56 AM
rex

<<Always bear in mind that the overnight train is the quickest option in that it wastes less time...>>

Anticipating my first overnight couchette train trip next week - - I wonder how much others agree with this; perhaps more for younger or heartier or more budget-minded traelers? (sometimes, but not always one in the same?) - - and have those who liked overnight trains feel that their next day was "compromised" in any way? Energy-wise? (i.e., from poor sleep, or having been booted from your "bed" sooner than you might have liked "on vacation&quot or from feeling grungy the nezt day (and did you need md-day shower once you did get to a hotel?)

We are taking our overnighter as the last night before boarding our trurn flight home to the US, thereby extending our last full day to the max; a number of people have said that we will regret this (going from 8 hours in couchette to an 8 hour flight, with only 6 hours in between to do a tiny walk/exploration of perhaps one single thing in Paris).

I feel like if I had a "normal" travel day after the overnight train ride, I might have been less willing to try it.

Don't know if you would share thse feeling... or feel exactly the opposite?
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Yes, I have done this; it was the first time I used the European train system and it was fine. Was in a couchette and thus not much privacy. Have since used the overnight sleeper Paris to Rome, this time in a private doouble sleeper. Also fine, though much pricier.
Agree the main advantage is making use of sleep time to travel. The cost savings are minimal if at all, but the conveninece is great. And if cost is the deciding factor, remember when calculating to add in the fare to and from the airport in addition to the time required for checkin, clearng security, etc.
Rex - if you are a very light sleeper you may not do well, but the stress of train travel is much less than being on a plane - so much more space, no jet engine noise in your ear and you can walk around much more freely. Since European trains are much smoother than Amtrak I had no problem sawing logs. A prophylactic glass of wine couldn't hurt, of course.
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:33 PM
ira

Hi Rex,

My guess is that at some point on the plane you will be so worn out that you will fall asleep and arrive home completely refreshed.

Tell us how it went when you return.

Old May 20th, 2005, 01:57 PM
CFP

Rex -

I have taken several overnight trains throughout Europe. When I did this 10 years ago, I had no problem. My most recent one, two years ago, was another story. My fiance and I got two beds in a 6-bed car, traveling from Paris to Venice. We would have been okay were it not for a big group of American teenagers standing outside the car all night -- literally, all night -- screaming and partying. We couldn't get one ounce of sleep. We spoke with the conducters who tried to quiet them down, to no avail. We wound up paying one of them about $100 to move us into a private room a few cars down. It was probably the best money we spent! There are many things that can affect your night (loud people, roommates, snoring, room temperature, train stops, etc.) , so of course you won't be 100% well-rested like you would be after a hotel stay. If you had a long day of museums ahead of you, I'd say it could affect you. But since you are going straight to a flight, you should be fine. It's definitely an experience, that's for sure!

The sleeping cars are cramped and not really comfortable...be warned. But it's a great way to save time and sometimes money. Having a sheet, blanket or pillow really helps.

Old May 20th, 2005, 02:39 PM

We enjoyed the total experience of an overnight train trip. We dined on yummy picnic fare and a lovely bottle of red which we purchased before leaving Paris, and gazed at the French countryside whipping by. We slept like babies, but maybe the red wine helped with that
An early morning shower, then breakfast and we were in the middle of Florence, refreshed and ready for our day.
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:06 PM
rex

My post was not really whether we will do all right, nor whether we have made a good decision, but rather... encouraging others to think about how well an overnight train will "avoid time waste" if a full and fun day is planned upon arrival.
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:21 PM

7 years ago we took the overnight train from Paris to Florence. Barely slept at all, as I didn't find the motion exactly soothing, not to mention the train seemed to make several middle of the night stops and starts. We arrived too early to check into our hotel, and were kind of fried the whole day.

3 years ago we again started our trip in Paris, but flew to Italy instead of taking the train. We had a fairly leasurely morning in Paris, checked out and went to the airport, and were in Bologna in time for Dinner. Cost less than the train, and was easily a more pleasant experience.

Jim