Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help Have Three Reservations! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-have-three-reservations-185506/)

Karen Sep 5th, 2001 10:11 AM

Help Have Three Reservations!

I posted ealier about not being able to get reservations and now I think I have three in Venice. Need your expert advice. I have the Antonio Suite at the Ala hotel , a canal view double at Pensione Accademia, and a non- canal room at the Metropole. Waiting for your opinions. Thanks. THis is for June 2002

Holly Sep 5th, 2001 10:20 AM

Why don't you make up your mind real fast, then cancel two reservations so other people can start their planning and booking???!!!

Dale Sep 5th, 2001 11:42 AM

I'd hold them all until next May. Then have an auction. Sounds like big bucks to me! Ciao.

Venus Sep 5th, 2001 11:47 AM

Where's Dr. Ego when we need him? <BR> <BR>Is MollyPool compulsive, impulsive or just repulsive?

lilipad Sep 5th, 2001 11:51 AM

it really doesn't matter where you stay as long as you are in the city and not on the outskirts, like lido - if any of those hotels have breakfast included, take that, otherwise go with the cheapest - you're not going to spend much time there except to sleep anyway <BR>(and ignore the mean tones, they're just looking for a fight ;), right guys? )

xxx Sep 5th, 2001 11:54 AM

Karen: I don't have experience with any of the 3 hotels you mentioned. If (with the exception of lilipad) only the grumpies answer, see if you can do a search here with each hotel's name. That should help. <BR>Good luck!

Heather Sep 5th, 2001 12:57 PM

Karen, missed your earlier email and not sure I have any "expert" advice. After reading the positive comments here and elsewhere on the P. Accademia, I booked there for next June. Which will make a clean sweep for all 4 trips of staying in the Dosoduro area or just over the Accademia Bridge in the San Marco sestiere. I love that location! <BR> <BR>Does one hotel jump out at you on the Internet or in recommendations? If you haven't been to Venice, a canal view room is pretty magical. But, just about any view is special. I had my first Grand Canal view this Summer and it was wonderful to fall asleep to and wake up to the view and the activity.

Heather Sep 5th, 2001 12:58 PM

Gah ... body at work, brain at home. I meant earlier post, not email. Sorry.

nancy Sep 5th, 2001 01:02 PM

Karen, <BR>I do not have any personal info for you, but is the Pensione Accademia the one discussed frequently on this board? <BR>It is also listed in many other books, and does seem to be a lovely place. <BR> <BR>What are your priorities? <BR>View, <BR>Spaciousness <BR>Balcony /Terrace. <BR> <BR>Sorry I can not help more than that. <BR>But, doing a search will give you all the past opinions <BR>(Incase you do not know how; type in hotel name in TEXT SEARCH box at top of this page) <BR> <BR>Also, <BR>I too, am sitting on 2 reservations right now. <BR>the person I am traveling with is not available to check out the websites till the weekend, <BR>I see nothing wrong with holding onto a room for a few days , esp. if the trip is not for another 8-9 months! <BR>Karen has all intentions of cancelling ASAP, just as I do. <BR>And I bet we are not the only ones here that do this! <BR> <BR>

Holly Sep 5th, 2001 01:27 PM

Karen hasn't stated here that she has any intention of cancelling any reservation anytime soon. Just because a lot of people double- and triple-book reservations does not make it an acceptable practice, especially when some people hold all those reservations for months on end until they get around to making a decision. It's just not a big deal to make a decision about a hotel, especially with all the info available these days. To multiple-book is just plain selfish and greedy.

Rex Sep 5th, 2001 03:55 PM

I suppose the "bat call" (to Dr. Ego) is directed at me. Thanks for thinking of me. <BR> <BR>And I am not going to criticize Karen/MollyPoo1 for this. People reserve rooms that they are not sure they will be able to use. It's a fact of life. And hotels adopt policies in accordance with their ability to "re-sell" them - - all businesses extend privileges to "possible" customers to try to gain their patronage. As a retailing friend once told me (who sells computers on credit) - - if you're not occasionally having to re-possess some merchandise sold to those who can't pay, you're losing business to marginally creditworthy customers. <BR> <BR>I, too, have overbooked - - and I am slightly overbooked right now for Florence and Rome in September. For all I know, one or more of those properties are over-sold to accommodate me. The industry has to anticipate uncertainty in booking, no-shows, and last minute bookings. <BR> <BR>A person who books two rooms in two hotels, and uses one - - but cancels one at the acceptable minimum period for one of those hotels - - is no different from someone who books ONE hotel - - and then finds it necessary to cancel that one room. <BR> <BR>As for your question, Karen - - I rather think take the cheapest one that meeets your requirements. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Karen Sep 5th, 2001 07:32 PM

Wow! I was surprized by all the bad remarks. I put in requests for all three of these hotels for days and was repeatedly told no, then today I get notices from all three that they have rooms. I wasn't planning on keeping them more than the one or two days I thought I might get some helpful,expert advise on this board.Guess I was wrong.

Holly Sep 5th, 2001 09:40 PM

Rex - Your argument for double-booking doesn't hold water, IMO. Please see my second response on the Can't Get Hotels to Make Reservations thread. I don't want to argue it all over this forum; I'm just trying to make a point. Which I hope a lot of people will start thinking about before they go double-booking all their next trips. Can we get some input from some Europeans on this point?

Holly Sep 5th, 2001 09:46 PM

Forgot to mention - I strongly doubt that 12-15 room "mom & pop" type hotels in Venice and other small cities (y'know - the ones that most of us want to stay at because of the "local" factor) routinely overbook for retail business reasons. And we shouldn't, either.

june Sep 5th, 2001 11:56 PM

I am from U.K. and I have to say this a peculiarly American thing, double, tiple booking hotels. I have never heard it done until I read this board. I have had holidays all over the USA and Europe and have only booked the one hotel. I often book in advance. Last year I went to Marthas Vineyard and booked inns in advance. One inn was booked up so I chose another.I would be concerned if small establishment lost business by this practice, hough I notice that increasingly, hotels and inns are charging cancellation fees depending on notice given. This places all travellers at a disadvantage when genuine cancellations have to be made. I suppose you can't have it all ways.Personally, I don't like the practice and cannot help feeling it is rather selfish.

Karen Sep 6th, 2001 08:21 AM

Again I want to state the reason I ended up with three reservations was the fault of the hotels, who would tell me they are booked and then 3 days later send me confirmations. I think some of this anger should be directed at the slow laid back way some of these hotels operate. I did not overbook on purpose. If you look at the board the day before this message, I had a message asking for help because no hotels would give me a reservation.

Heather Sep 6th, 2001 08:25 AM

Karen, you did get "some" advice if you weed back through the other posts. <BR> <BR>I would never book at multiple places, but I guessed what happened in your case was exactly as you explained later. So, no lectures from me ... I was just curious if you decided which hotel to go with ... and if you are excited about the trip. I just love Venice.