Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP....HAVE ONLY A FEW DAYS IN IRLEAND & NEED HELP PLANNING .

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:48 PM
xxxxxx

WE WILL BE IN IRELAND NEXT WEEK FOR A MARATHON AND HAVE ONLY 3 DAYS TO EXPLORE..WE CAN VENTURE AWAY FROM DUBLINFOR THE FIRST 2 DAYS AND ON THE LAST DAY OF OUR TRIP W/ THE RUN RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE.CAN ANYONE HELP US PLAN TO SEE THE SIGHTS IN A SHORT AMT OF TIME? DINGLE,DONEGAL(WEST)HOW FAR IS IT FROM DUBLIN? HELP!!!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Pittsburgher

Molly,
My husband & I did the marathon two years ago, but we had 10 days total. It would help to know where you're flying into, if you're renting a car, what your interests are . . . If you're comfortable driving you'll have more options, but there are numerous daytrips from Dublin, as well as lots to see in the city -- we spent three days there, in addition to time outside the city, and didn't get bored -- and don't forget, your marathoner will need a day to recover! I would suggest a day along the coast SE from Dublin, doable by bus, and a bus trip to the north, if you're not driving yourselves. Maybe Cathy Lynch will be along with better suggestions but, if you want more ideas, post here again. And get ready for a wonderful trip!

PS -- Marathon tip: be sure to pack shoes and running gear in carry-on -- we talked to more than one runner whose running shoes & clothes were checked and lost in transit; they were out looking to buy new stuff on day before marathon -- NOT a good way to break in shoes!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:09 PM
xxxx

thanks pittsburgher for your advice!! we don't know whether to go by car,train,bus etc.. we only have 5 days.we get in on that sat noonish and have a marathon party sun eve..not a whole lot of time to get to know the place. that's why i'm on here to seek help from anyone!!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Alec

Please remove Caps Lock before posting
Places you suggest are a long way from Dublin, around 200 miles, and take at least 5 hours (slightly less for Donegal).
I would do shorter trips, like Glendalough and Wicklow Mountains (about an hour from Dublin), Rock of Cashel (around 2.5 hours) and Boyne Valley (about 1 hour). You can rent a car, or Bus Éireann do trips from Busaras bus station.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Pittsburgher

Mollie -- IF this is your first trip to Ireland, IF you're not renting a car, IF this is your first marathon, if more than one of you is running and you don't have a support team (a non-running spouse or partner) to do logistics and run interference, I would definitely suggest exploring Dublin and nearby environs by bus. There's plenty to do, and it will give you a taste of what you want to see when you come next time for a longer trip. A marathon is hard work, for both runner & support team, and you might as well enjoy as much as possible without killing yourselves!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Ann

Good advice from above. You don't want to venture very far by car, as it's tiring to drive in Ireland, and all of that shifting is a killer on the hamstrings.

You have plenty of places close by (as Alec mentioned--the Wicklow Mts and Glendalough are wonderful), and you could also take the train to Kilkenny or Belfast for a day.