Search

Help! Hard find hotel in or around Sorrento For August with Teenager

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Hard find hotel in or around Sorrento For August with Teenager

Hi All,
Going to Italy for 8 nights flying into Naples out of Rome mid August two adults one teenager..
To see Pompeii, naples, amalfi & Revello, Sorrento seems the best base, but Hotels with pools (whats left at this stage!) in Sorrento town seem overpriced and basic for our room budget (€130 - €160 per night) so I have begun to look at Sant'agata de gofii or Sant'Agnello meaning we have more chance of a pool/better teen friendly hotel with resturants in walking distance rather than staying in the hills of Sorrento and having to rely on shuttle buses to go for dinner etc, has anybody stayed in these areas with kids?
Is Massa Lubrensse just too far out for day trips?
Or would you suggest arriving in Naples (I've heard mixed reviews on the area) and staying there one night to see museum and Pompeii and then heading round to Amalfi and staying there for the 4 nights to travel around the coast?
Thanks!
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 03:08 PM

Donna, my husband and I stayed at the Hotel Mediterraneo in Sant'Agnello in October and I can highly recommend it.
The pool was great with a cafe right there, plus in August when you are there the seaside platform will be open. You take an elevator down and they have sun loungers and umbrellas set up so you can relax there and swim in the ocean if you want to.
There were some good restaurants within walking distance.
We found it an easy walk into Sorrento but there is a shuttle too.

It will be very busy in this area in August and hot, so be prepared.
We spent three nights in Naples in the old historical centre and enjoyed it very much but Naples is gritty.
We stayed in the Hotel Piazza Bellini and can recommend it. The Archeological museum is well worth seeing.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for you reply! Yes I have looked at that hotel and seems to be a perfect distance from Sorrento so it's on my list, pretty expensive in August tho!
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 09:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
The Hilton has a triple family room on August 11 (I just picked a date) for 167 euros. No view, I'm sure, but they have a really nice pool! The triple sea view room is 203 euros.

I had an exec floor room overlooking the sea and a large balcony (I was using points). Nice hotel! A bit of a hike up the hill to get back to after dinner.... but it does burn calories! ;-)

www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/italy/hilton-sorrento-palace-RROHIHI/about/index.html
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 01:46 PM

Donna, we did the pay in advance promo they offered and saved some money that way but don't know if that is offered in August or if that would still be too expensive.

We had the sea view room and to me it was worth every penny to see that view each morning.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 02:26 PM

I don't think that it is Sorrento is overpriced, but rather you are looking for a limited budget hotel in Italy's prime coastal area in the high summer season. August, between tourists and Italians on vacation, is vacation month for the Amalfi coast and neighboring area. And is a month out now. I wish you luck in your search.
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all yes think the Hilton is a good prospect!
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 03:50 PM

Hi Donna, we spent the last 8 nights of a 3 week trip in the Naples/Amalfi coast region the first week in May. We used Sorrento as a base spending 4 nights there, 2 on Capri and 2 in Naples. It worked well but I didn't see as much of the Amalfi coast as I would have liked. Given your length of stay I would suggest 2 nights in Naples for the museum, Pompeii and exploring Naples. Then move via ferry to an Amalfi coast town for 2-3 nights. We took the bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and spent the day there. We were worried about full buses so we didn't stop in Positano. Our bus back to Sorrento from Amalfi was full and didn't even stop in Positsno. Buy staying on the coast I think you can see more towns and not be worried about getting back to Sorrento. This would allow 3-4 nights for Rome. Capri is really beautiful if you can shoehorn in a day trip there. Have fun!
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 04:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
If taking the bus along the AC, first get off at Positano and see that. Then take another bus to Amalfi so you will be able to get on the bus back to Sorrento! It often is full by the time the return bus reaches Positano
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Hilton booked out on our dates for triple room;( After extensive research and mind changing I think I'll go with Hotel Caravel in Sant'Agnello, not ideal but between the shuttle bus/train & public buses hopefully we will be covered for going out in Sorrrento in the evenings and it seems to have places to eat in the immediate vicinity which will be handy after a long day in Pompeii etc!

Tried to split the trip to 3 nights in Hotel Caravel and, 2 in Amalfi but I Just could not find a hotel for under €200 a night with a pool somewhere in a main town so while I'm a little said about not overnighting in Amalfi, I suppose it saves us lugging about cases in the heat with a teen
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 12:14 AM

Actually, it's quite difficult to stay in that budget in Costiera Amalfitana all the year long and in August prices go crazy everywhere in Italy
If you didn't book yet you can have a look on Hotel Delfino between Massa Lubrense and Sorrento, they have a pool with sea salted water and a private inlet to the seaside http://www.hoteldelfino.com/hotel-sorrento-private-pool