Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Help for Newbies Traveling to Italy Please

Help for Newbies Traveling to Italy Please

Mar 14th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Help for Newbies Traveling to Italy Please

Hi,

I am going to be heading to Italy as a first timer in April, I have planned a fair bit of the trip but would like some feedback and advice from seasoned Italy travelers. Here is what we intend to do:

Arriving in Venice via overnight train from Vienna and spend 2 days in Venice, then take train to Florence for an overnight stop. The next day we will pick up a hire car and drive through Tuscany staying in a small village of San Quirico d'Orcia in the heart of Tuscany. This is near Montalcino and Montepulciano and Siena is 40 km away. We plan to spend 2 nights and explore the area from here and then head off to Bagnoregio close to Orvieto and Viterbo and spend a night at www.hotelromanticapucci.it which looks great. From there we have 4 nights free to explore before we head to Rome for 3 nights. Those four days I planned to head down to Capris and the Amalfi Coast.

My questions are:

1. Does this sound like a sensible and feasible tour?
2. What suggestions or recommendations for the 4 free nights would you make? In terms of accommodation we would like to budget around Euro150 per night as maximum

I really appreciate any advice, thoughts or suggestions/recommendations.

Take care,

Big T
Mar 14th, 2006, 04:26 AM

1. Does this sound like a sensible and feasible tour?
Not in my opinion.

What suggestions or recommendations for the 4 free nights would you make?

Add
1 night to Venice--total 3
1 night to Florence--total 2
2 nights to San Quirico--total 4

Drop the 1 night in Bagnoregio (see this from San Q) and
add it to Rome--total 4 nights.

This is based on my opinion that you're trying to do too much and will miss out on one of Italy's charms: its slower pace.

Mar 14th, 2006, 04:40 AM

Hi BigT,

Agree with JeanneB on all her points. Maybe you will too, if you list just a few things you want to do in each area. My list for a first time in Florence would take a minimum of three days, same for Venice, with a trip one afternoon to the islands of Burano and Torcello.

I think you might enjoy each place more if you saved Amalfi for a future visit.
Mar 14th, 2006, 09:24 AM

S.E.,
I agree about Florence. Two nights can work if they pick up the car late on the last dau/

Take the early train from Venice, be in Florence by noon...can see some things that afternoon. Spend 2 nights and don't pick up car until around 3 or 4pm the 3rd day...drive to San Q in time for dinner.

I'd rather do it that way than take a night off Venice or Rome.

Search this Thread