Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help!! FNAC overcharge with nothing to show for it! Need phone # (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-fnac-overcharge-with-nothing-to-show-for-it-need-phone-910187/)

JeanneB Oct 24th, 2011 12:45 PM

Help!! FNAC overcharge with nothing to show for it! Need phone #

Help, please! I'm leaving in a few days and need to get this resolved.

On Saturday I attempted to buy 4 museum tickets on the FNAC website. I registered to start an "account" and then went thru the ticket purchase process. It told me the charge was rejected. It's a new card, so I thought maybe I put it in wrong. Did it again...same rejection.

When I called the bank today to find out what was wrong, they informed me both transactions had been charged to my account. Not only have I been charged for 8 tickets, but I have no email confirmation. And there is no order history on my "Account".
So I have nothing..

Their website provides an email process, but it won't let me in because I don't have an order number. There is a "reservations" phone number: 0 892 683 622 . Can someone tell me how to call that from the states, please????

Thanks...obviously I'm in full panic mode here!

Michael Oct 24th, 2011 12:50 PM

011 33 plus the phone number you have given.

JeanneB Oct 24th, 2011 12:52 PM

Merci beaucoup! I'll update you later.

PalenQ Oct 24th, 2011 12:52 PM

usually do not dial the 0 except when calling from inside the country - from USA delete the 0 in front of 892 - you of course dial 011 - the international access code.

Christina Oct 24th, 2011 12:53 PM

hmm, I've never had a problem with them, odd that you don't have an account online if they charges you.

You can google international dialing or something to find out how to call foreign countries. That's a pay number, I believe, meaning it isn't free (if it begins with 08 in France). I might be wrong, but I think so.

dial 011 + 33 + number.

JeanneB Oct 24th, 2011 12:55 PM

So far all I'm getting is a busy signal. I'm calling on a cell phone. Does that make a difference?

Here's what it says on the website:
By phone :

Réservation : 0 892 683 622 (0,34 ? TTC/min)

Pour le suivi de commande : 01 41 57 32 19 (prix d'un appel local)

Christina Oct 24th, 2011 12:59 PM

oh, yeah, that's wrong about dropping the zero but I don't know if you can call those pay numbers from abroad (ones beginning with 08), I don't think they are regular phone nubmers. You can try, of course.

Christina Oct 24th, 2011 01:00 PM

sorry, I meant that was right about dropping the zero.

JeanneB Oct 24th, 2011 01:03 PM

Still getting busy signal. What about that other number? I speak a little French but what does "prix d'un appel local" mean?

Isn't there some string of numbers people use for internation calls that are inexpensive? Could I use that method to call the 2nd number???

JeanneB Oct 24th, 2011 01:04 PM

Never mind. Of course, it means cost of a local call. I repeat, can I call that number from the states? What's the best way to do it?

Michael Oct 24th, 2011 01:10 PM

Try o11 33 1 41 57 32 19.

Michael Oct 24th, 2011 01:11 PM

it's <b>0</b>11, of course.

Christina Oct 24th, 2011 01:12 PM

Of course you know it is 11 pm there, no one will answer that phone number at that time, it says you can only call it M-F 9 to 7 pm.

I've never tried to dial abroad with a cellphone, can't help on that as I don't know how that would work. There are dial-around numbers that are cheaper, I've used them, you can google that.

They do have an online chat help person, you know, you could try that (I guess), she is on this page at the left
http://www4.fnac.com/Help/contactez-nous.aspx#bl=foot

Judy Oct 24th, 2011 01:14 PM

It is now after 11 PM in Paris. You might be better off waiting til morning.

JeanneB Oct 24th, 2011 01:26 PM

Yes. I believe that chat line is simply an "faq"...i.e., search for already established answers to generic questions.
I guess I'll have to wait and call tomorrow.

In the meantime, I want to establish whether that 0 892.... number is a toll free call (and does it apply internationally)? Any Parisiennes on here who can advise me? Merci, everyone.

StCirq Oct 24th, 2011 01:33 PM

0 892 numbers in Paris charge 0.34 euro per minute. I don't even know if you can call those numbers from either a cell phone or landline in the USA.

If you don't get this resolved by phone, I would get your credit card statements showing the charges that were made, take your FNAC account information with you, make sure you have the cc you used for the purchases you thought you didn't make, and go to a FNAC once in Paris and sort it out with a human being.

qwovadis Oct 24th, 2011 01:35 PM

Might also notify my CC company file a merchant revesal/dispute of the charge to be safe.
You get an immediate credit that way...

JeanneB Oct 24th, 2011 01:39 PM

Christina: I'm with you. Odd, indeed. As far as I've ever heard, they are a reputable outfit and I am confident they will make it right. It is distressing, however, that I have no communication from them and no way to contact them about the problem.

I wouldn't be surprised if the charges have been cancelled when I log into my credit card account tomorrow morning. I hope so. I don't want to make that pay-by-the-minute call to be put in a hold qeue, then wait for them to find someone to speak English, then research all the data. The call might end up costing as much as the tickets!!!!

clausar Oct 24th, 2011 02:08 PM

No reason to panic, you can still resolve this even from home.
This happens sometimes when the online system times out, without completing the procedure. In that case your cc is getting charged, even though no reservations have been made.
All you need is to contact them even through an email, and give them the amounts and the exact time and date, when your cc got charged. They will trace the payments with their bank, and proceed with a full refund.
At my old work, where we were selling on line tickets, had this during high season... that is how i know that money charged won't get lost!

StCirq Oct 24th, 2011 02:09 PM

If you set up an account with them, and it sounds like you did, you can communicate with them by email:

https://secure.fnac.com/Account/Logo...=X#bl=chMyFnac

Sign in and send them a note. It specifically says they offer "conseil," and of course that could be about all kinds of things, but at least you could get a regular phone number to call.

If your French isn't up to writing, post the text in English here and someone will translate it for you.