Search

Help finding a Riva del Garda like town in Aosta valley

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help finding a Riva del Garda like town in Aosta valley

Short version:

I’m looking for an area to explore with my wife in the Aosta region that is similar to the Riva del Garda / Torbole area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The smaller and quieter the better but still close to restaurants and shops.

Long version:

My wife and I have been to both Switzerland and Italy a few times and we are looking for a new place to explore. So far, Malcesine, Italy and Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland are our favorite places. We liked Riva del Garda quite a bit and it has a bit more to offer vs Malcesine so anything similar to those places would be worth a visit. An area that can offer skiing in the winter, hiking and mountain biking in the summer, and some culture would be perfect.

The reason for this trip is that we are pondering the idea of buying a vacation home in or near the Alps. From what I can tell, as a US citizen, Italy would be the easiest and most affordable country to buy a place so this is where we will start our “search”. We plan to take a couple trips over there in the next year or two to narrow down our search area, with a plan to buy in 2 or 3 years. We love that the Aosta area puts us close to France and Switzerland for weekend trips but we have never been there to know what it’s all about.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded but I wanted to give some details on what we are looking for and why. It’s hard to recommend a place without knowing what people like. Thanks in advance for all of the help.
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 12:36 AM

Aosta Valley is beautiful, but completely different from Lake Garda and not so close to Swiss or French towns (in driving hours), except the border area which is more or less similar to Aosta Valley. Only Turin and Geneva(and the cities beyond) can be reached on motorways.
I suppose you will not only compare the prices you have to pay for private property, but also taxes, costs for water supply, electricity, snow clearance of access roads, as well as safety and security questions.
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 05:17 AM

Don't know anything about where might be good to buy a place, but we explored the Aosta region from the town of Aosta itself and loved it. Was a good size for a base for do day trips and an enjoyable town itself with some impressive Roman sites. I don't recall it being all that similar to Malcesine (which I visited on the same trip) but it might be the closest you'll come in that area.

Here's the trip report I did from that trip which include my impressions of both those towns
A month in northern Italy: Mountains, Lakes and Castles