Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   help finding a hotel in paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-finding-a-hotel-in-paris-210593/)

emma Nov 28th, 2001 03:27 AM

help finding a hotel in paris

hi<BR>I'm trying to book a hotel for 4 nights in Paris. I want to stay in the Latin Quarter. I think I'be boiled it down to 3:<BR>Timhotel - Jardin des Plantes, rue de linnes $273<BR>Des Nations - Rue Monge $347<BR>Acacias - Bis Rue de Rennes $368<BR><BR>prices for a couple for four nights.<BR>Can anyone tell me if they've stayed in these hotels? Know of them? <BR>It's really important that I have a quiet room in a good location.<BR>Does anyone have other recommendations (p[referabley with prices and phone numbers) for this area of Paris with these kinds of prices.<BR>thanks alot<BR>emma

curt Nov 28th, 2001 04:31 AM

Emma<BR>While I have not stayed in any of these hotels I do have experience with the Timhotel chain. I have used the Timhotel on Rue de la Banque and found it to be quite nice. Timhotel is a local chain in Paris. They are both 2 and 3 star properties. I found the room to be pleasant and the overall experience positive. The one I used was in an older building but the interior was totally updated and modern. Bath room was quite nice, the room size was good, and staff was helpful. Overall Timhotels seem to be good value for money.

Howard Nov 28th, 2001 05:06 AM

Check out the March 2001 issue of National Geographic Traveler at your library. The issue had a special section on "22 great hotels for $100 or less:" in Paris. You'll get some solid suggestions! I used it successfully to book our hotel for next May via email.

Bob Brown Nov 28th, 2001 05:07 AM

Is that hotel you call the Acacias the Acacias St. Germain at 151 bis rue de Rennes? (Perhaps it dropped the St. Germain)<BR>If so, I stayed there on my first (of my recent set of trips) trip to Paris. Write me directly and I will give you my candid opinion. <BR><BR>

Surlok Nov 28th, 2001 05:54 AM

Emma, another reasonably priced hotel is the Familia. However, it's hard to get a room there, since it's often fully booked . Give it a try.<BR><BR>http://www.specialplacestostay.com/search/display.lasso?BookID==ph323<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR >S

Greg Nov 28th, 2001 08:05 AM

Emma,<BR><BR>We stayed at the Des Nations in October. It is a very nice hotel. They speak english and are very helpful. The rooms are good size and clean. And it is in a good location. Eat breakfast elsewhere, it costs to much for what you get. Have a good trip.<BR><BR>Greg

Patrick Nov 28th, 2001 08:46 AM

Hey Bob, what's with this sudden secrecy thing? You sound mysterious. Why not give your candid opinion for all of us?

Bob Brown Nov 28th, 2001 08:52 AM

No secret. I figured people would not be interested in my long winded discourse. <BR>If you want to know the details, email me.<BR>To keep it short, let me just say that I went there the first time in 1999. Since then, I went to another hotel where I was more satisfied.<BR>

Sue Nov 28th, 2001 09:47 AM

If you do a text search (Nations) (select France as subject) you can find some other comments, especially #10. I haven't stayed in Hotel des Nations, but stayed in the rue Monge area and enjoyed it.

Christina Nov 28th, 2001 10:22 AM

I haven't stayed in those particular hotels but I really think you can do better (maybe des Nations is a good choice as I like that area the best of what you've mentioned--never heard of that hotel). However, you should know that rue de Rennes is NOT the Latin Qtr and that is one of the busiest, dirtiest, ugliest streets around that area in my opinion. Some people who stay there find it ok, though, personal opinions vary a lot on area, it appears, as I really dislike that street--it can be good for shopping, though, and there is a metro stop nearby. As for noise, I guess a room in the back would be quiet; streetside with windows open certainly would not on rue de Rennes. That Timhotel might be ok as it used to be independent, forget the name, and was recommended a lot -- however, I think since being taken over by Timhotel I've read some rather negative comments on it -- I can't swear to it or even what they were, but I think so. There are plenty of budget hotels in the Latin Qtr, I've posted 6-12 on here in response to this question which is frequent (cheap hotel in Latin Qtr), as have other people. I know people always like the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, I would go for that first if it were me (although it's popular so may be booked), or the Nations if you like it as Greg above says it's good. the Hotel Jardin du Luxembourg has its devotees, also, as well as the Parc St-Severin and The Familia (its sister, the Minerve may be an option but I think some don't like it, either) in the Latin Qtr. You can get phone numbers and addresses etc very easily on www.paris.org/Hotels for almost all Parisian hotels (although it's a little out of date and has no prices).

mariacallas Nov 28th, 2001 10:35 AM

If your goal is location and price - I can recommend the Hotel des Cannettes. They speak French OK but you can get by. It's only four rooms per floor and has no entrance presence. But, it is on the hopping rue des Canettes - the heart beat of this neighborhood - you can hear the bells of St. Sulpice- the cafe de la Mairie is just around the corner and you even have some good bars nearby.<BR><BR>They have nice bathtubs - my top priority. You can put your little table by the window and look out over the street while you drink wine before getting ready for dinner. They have a great little creperie across the street. There's a metro within five minute walk. The rooms are teeny weenie - but two people who like each other will be fine in one!<BR><BR>And, best of all, the shopping is extraordinary- just outside your door.