Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Help finalise a 17 day trip to Bavaria
Notices

Help finalise a 17 day trip to Bavaria

Sep 15th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Help finalise a 17 day trip to Bavaria

Here is my proposed itinerary for a 17 day solo trip to Bavaria. Please comment where you think there is a problem or where you have a better suggestion.

Wed
AM: Arrive Munich 11:00am & get into accommodation
PM: Walkabout taking in Downtown & Old town (Marienplatz, Neues Rathaus, Altes Rathaus, Peterskirche, Frauenkirche, Viktualienmarkt,Funf Hofe, Odeonplatz, Theatinerkirche, Feldferrnhalle, Residenz, Alter Hof, Platzl, St Peters Tower, Asamhaus, Asamkirche & Gartnerplatz

Thurs
AM: Deutches Museum
AM: Residenze & lunch at Cafe Tambosi
PM: Mike's Bike Standard City Tour (12:30 - 16:30) - plus remainder of yesterday afternoon if not all completed

Fri
AM: Olympic Park
PM: BMW Factory Tour (last tour 14:30) followed by BMW Welt

Sat
AM/PM: Nuremburg day trip
PM: Walk about old town and people watching

Sun
AM: ???
PM: ???

Mon
AM/PM: Neuschwanstein & Mt. TegelBerg

Tues
AM: ??? (Rothenburg?)

Wed

Thurs

Fri

Sat
AM: Depart for Berchtesgaden
PM: Ramsau

Sun
AM: Salt Mines
PM: Eagles Nest Tour (Departs @ 13:15)

Mon
AM/PM: National Park

Tues
AM/PM: National Park

Wed
AM: Depart for Salzburg (10:15, 1hr bus)
PM: Salzburg Old Town

Thurs

Fri
AM: Depart for Munich (10:09, 2hrs RE)
PM: Last walk around the city and beer gardens

Sat
Depart Munich

Suggestions for destinations for Tues to Fri? (I could cut the trip shorter if nothing suitable is suggested)

How long would it take to get from airport into Munich city centre?

As I intend to stay in Munich for a long period of time, what is my best way to get a good rate on accommodation?

Is there a part of Munich city where most of the intersting stuff is located and hence where I'd be spending most of my time?

Is there are best day for the Viktualienmarkt?

What is the best way to tour Neuschwanstein and hike Mt. Tegelberg? I've read that some take the cable car up (which was expensive) and others hiked it. Is visiting the other castle in this area something to do too?

Should I cut Salzburg short by an evening and return to Munich on the Thurs evening - giving myself one whole final day to relax and bumble about in Munich?

Are two days too much for the National Park in Berchtesgaden? What is there to do there other than view the Lake and Watzmann? Can I cycle around the NP?
Sep 15th, 2013, 02:23 PM

About the Munich part:

You will not be able to fit Deutsches Museum and Residenz into one morning. Residenz needs about 3 hours, Deutsches Museum can keep you busy all day. Since you have the Sunday unplanned anyway, do these two on separate days. Two huge museums in one day is too much.

How much research have you done about Bavaria? Sounds as if you have never come across names like Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Mittenwald, Chiemsee, Bamberg, Würzburg, Regensburg, Passau, Landshut, Nördlingen, Kempten, Dinkelsbühl, Andechs, Landsberg, Burghausen, Weltenburg, Linderhof... just to name a few. Look up these places and you will quickly run out of gaps in your itinerary.
Sep 15th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Hez

I agree with quokka and would add that a guide book for Bavaria would be worth perusing at this point. There's more than enough to fill up your free days!
Sep 17th, 2013, 05:37 PM

What time of year are you going? There is a lot more to Munich and the area arond it than you have included so far. IMHO Nymphenburg Palace with its wonderful carraige house is a better place to visit than the Residence. The Treasury at the Residence is he best part. Are you planning to visit Dachau?

For great Bavarian food stop at one of the Augustiner Brau restaurants. There are several of them. If they are still having it they used to do a Bavarian Folk Evening on the third floor of the Hofbrauhaus at 7 each evening.

When you are in Salzburg you may enjoy the Sound of Music tour that shows you movie locations around Salzburg and a trip out into the Salzkammergut to Mondsee (wedding church scene) with a stop at a sommerodlbahn luge ride.

Search this Thread