Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help figuring out family tube passes - please

Mar 6th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

I've read a lot about travelcards and oysters on the forum, but I still have a question. We are a family of 5 staying in London for 6 days. The trip will be in August and will be a combination of walking and tube rides from place to place. The kids are ages 12, 14, and 16. Should we all just get a 7 day travelcard loaded onto an oyster (adding fare money for the airport part), or should the kids get those photocards? We do plan to use the tube during rush hour in order to be at specific sites early in the morning. Therefore I know that the "kid for a quid" won't work. I just don't understand the savings with the photocards.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Photocards qualify for PAYG (and certain Travelcard) at child rates. It's all spelled out in here:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...-discounts.pdf

Post back here if anything requires further explanation.
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:40 AM

I have a question
It says that the photocards take two weeks to process. This won't work for tourist. What other options are there for a 12 year old
Mar 6th, 2007, 12:06 PM

I don't think the 12 year old needs any kind of photo card:

Anyone Under 16 no longer needs a photocard to buy cash singles/returns, Day and 3 Day Travelcards for travel on the Tube and DLR.
Anyone under 14 does not need a photocard to travel free on buses and Trams (except 11-15 year olds who use the tram at Wimbledon will need a Child Oyster photocard).

16 and 17's have their own story:
f you are visiting London, you may wish to apply for a 16-17 Oyster photocard to cover your stay in the capital. You can request a form in advance, by telephone or via the TfL website. You will be able to pick up the photocard when you arrive in London and must nominate:
a Travel Information Centre to collect the 16-17 Oyster photocard from.
a collection date
You must apply at least four weeks before your nominated collection date and collect the photocard no earlier than and within two weeks of that date.

Really, go to the Q&A section of the TfL website, and you will get lots of info: transportforlondon.custhelp.com
The photocards can work for tourists, but they have to think a few weeks in advance.
Mar 6th, 2007, 01:31 PM
twk

I'm in the same predicament about wanting to be able to travel during peak hours with kids. For the adults, a 7 day travel card loaded onto an Oyster is a no brainer. My 14 year old nephew is another matter. I have clicked on a TFL link to send us an application for a 14-16 Oyster photocard, but we'll see if that is what I actually get. Last time, we got the application for the under 14 card.

If under 16 does not require a photo card for the 3 day travelcard, that may be the way to go if the TFL web site doesn't get me the right application, soon.
Mar 6th, 2007, 01:46 PM

I answered too quickly earlier. Here's the story on under 14's:

Some children will need a Child Oyster photocard to get free or child rate travel.

Travel on Buses and Trams

All children aged under 14 can travel free on buses and trams without a photocard, except for the following:

a) If your child looks older than 14 they need a photocard to qualify for free travel.
b) Children aged 11 to 15 must have a Child Oyster photocard to travel free on Trams to/from Wimbledon.

All children aged 14 or 15 must have a photocard to travel free on the buses. At present only the following is valid:
Child Oyster photocard

Travel on Tube and DLR

Children under 14 do not need a photocard to buy child rate single tickets for the Tube or DLR, Day Travelcards and 3 Day Travelcards. All children aged 14 or 15 must have a photocard to buy child rate tickets (see range of valid photocards above).

All children aged 5 and over need a valid photocard to buy child-rate season Travelcards (7-Day or longer):
Child Oyster photocard

A child Oyster photocard is needed if your child wants to pay as you go (Pre Pay).

here is some information about the application process for visitors:
If you live outside London, you will need to complete a "Visitor" application form and return it to our agent together with a £5 processing fee at least four weeks before you need the card.

Your Oyster photocard will be available for collection at your nominated Travel Information Centre when you get to London. You will need to take proof of identity (eg passport, birth certificate) when you collect your card.

To request an application, apparently you go to the TfL website and click on "Get Oyster Photocard" and follow the links.
Mar 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Keep in mind that the tube is expensive and that one family a taxi may be cheaper than all the tube tickets.
Mar 6th, 2007, 02:28 PM

<<< Keep in mind that the tube is expensive >>>

???
Mar 7th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for posting that link Robespierre. I read it and assumed that the kids would all benefit from photo oysters to receive child rates. Some confusion remained though, so I called TFL.

The rep explained that photo cards are for Londoners only. All kids 16 and under pay 11.60 for a 7 day travel card; parents pay 23.20. He said it's easy to get everything at Heathrow.

Thanks for all your help.
Mar 7th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Call me crazy, but I can't imagine what the cost would be for a family of 5 to take a taxicab everywhere they go in London, because the "tube is expensive".
Mar 7th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

This is for anyone else still wondering about photo oyster cards for kids.

After reading a bit more online, I called TFL again. It seems that without a photo oyster card, kids will be paying the adult rate for PAYG. Child rates are substantially lower, so I advise sending away for the photocard if you have the time to wait for receipt. Bear in mind that there is a 5 pound cost for obtaining the card (in the States at least).