Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP!! Domestic Italian Flights = COVID TEST?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2021, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,
I've done extensive research into the rules for ENTERING Italy, and departing Italy back to my country of Canada. BUT...
What about flying within? I have a flight from Rome to Catania and then Catania back to Rome.
Do I need a test before this flight??
Would proof of vaccination work?
Thank you!!
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 12:19 PM

I'm not sure it's answered here but perhaps: https://it.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 04:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ask the airline you're flying on between Rome and Catania.

I assume you know you must file a digital Passenger Locator Form before arriving in Italy.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I have the dPLF. But not a single person has been able to confirm for me if you need one between. Even Alitalia told me to reference the government website...And there's absolutely no information online about if you need one WITHIN Italy.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by jeffreyfenton
Hello All,
I've done extensive research into the rules for ENTERING Italy, and departing Italy back to my country of Canada. BUT...
What about flying within? I have a flight from Rome to Catania and then Catania back to Rome.
Do I need a test before this flight??
Would proof of vaccination work?
Thank you!!
If there’s nothing online, then why are you working yourself into a tizzy over something with no evidence that it exists?

Note, I am also flying into Catania. From Venice in August. Don’t go looking for problems where there is no evidence they exist. There are enough real problems to worry about.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 06:37 PM

You may have to call an Italian consulate or one of the regional Covid info numbers.

https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nu...rus&menu=vuoto

Per Alitalia's website, what is required/allowed depends on the status (yellow, white, red, orange) of the regions you're traveling between. At worst, it sounds like you must present proof of vaccination by way of the EU digital Covid-19 Green Certificate.

https://www.alitalia.com/en_en/fly-a...les-italy.html

And whatever rules are in effect now could change, in either direction, on Aug. 1st.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 06:53 PM

jeffrey, I would also be doing all I could to find out what is and isn't required. These are still not normal days for travel, and the rules keep changing. Saying "I couldn't find anything on the internet" probably wouldn't carry much weight if you're faced with a boarding agent who won't let you on the plane.

If you can get a definitive answer, please post what you learn, as it will doubtless help others as they plan travel to/in Italy this year.
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 01:26 AM

The rules are changing so often and so quickly that I don't know if telling you anything at the moment is a positive or just false hope.

At the moment you don't need anything.

There are suggestions that you'll need at least a single shot to travel this month on long distance trips. Most news reports interpret this to mean high speed trains but I assume it includes flights.

Next month you'll need both.

That assumes the rumors are right or at least that set of rumors.

Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 07:46 AM

I don't know specifics, but their website says it depends on the color zone of the area you are moving between. Right now no part of Italy is red or orange, so today, it wouldn't be a problem (meaning you wouldn't need to show the Green Cerfificate as I understand it). Next week, who knows. This is the map
https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nu...rus&menu=vuoto